virgin talk anywhere minutes

the wife is on the war path, we've been signed up for talk anywhere 400 for about 2 years with various problems. it's been fine for a while but now appear to be paying for a lot of normal calls and certainly within several days of receiving new allocations of minutes.

We've had enough, we've rang and spoken to virgin today(4 different ppl) all of which refusing to enter into any conversation other than "it's correct"

however i've been given 2 different dates of when the minutes start, and also i've checked 4 times today with my minutes total which has changed from 400(this morning) 255(8pm) 0(10pm) 255(10:05pm)

which doesn't fill me with any confidence.

After speaking to an english lady earlier i've tried ringing again after 10 after speaking to the wife, spoke to an asian gent called 'Twinkle' who said it was correct, i put the phone down slightly annoyed then rang back asking for a full itemised breakdown of the talk anywhere calls, which will aparently be sent out in 3-5 days, but then the man i spoke to pointed out as a loyal customer, i was entitled to free upgrade to 20mb BB, (£4 credit for 12 months) which in the initial conversation i'd enquired about and been told to !!!!!! off, and also i'm being sent a tv set top box that i don't want/need through the post.

Very strange sequence of events, has anyone else had any similar experience or advice on how to handle this.

Comments

• jhp
    jhp Posts: 2,342 Forumite
    It seems your not the only one experiencing problems with Talk Anywhere.

See: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1584085
  • mazza111
    mazza111 Posts: 6,327 Forumite
    Talk Anywhere is very confusing even for the staff to work out. Your minutes are not allotted on the same day as your bill, anything over the allotted minutes doesn't seem to be charged at the normal rates. The only thing I could advise would be to change the package, maybe take a talk evenings and weekends or talk anytime. It's not as good as the minutes if you make a lot of calls abroad or abroad, but if it's mainly uk landline calls you make it seems a lot better value. It would surprise you how many minutes you use on the phone. Get the start date of when your minutes are allotted and keep a stop watch on the phone. You will soon see how fast it mounts up. We had to do this as we were sure we weren't going over our allotted minutes, but when we checked, we were. Guess i talk too much :o
    4 Stones and 0 pounds or 25.4kg lighter :j
  • see thats the issue i have, the wife is steadfastly refusing to believe that we're using 400 minutes in 10 days, it's mainly for ringing her parents in norway on the cheap(we changed after onetel became impossible to talk to) and we've got pretty good free minutes on our mobiles so the house phone really doesn't get used all that much.

i'm prepared for the sake of argument to actually believe that we may have used them all but i would like proof from virgin to say so, talk anywhere minutes aren't included on any itemised bill,as i had to explain to the third gentleman i spoke to last night so i've requested those to be sent out, though i expect i'll just get another copy of what i've already got.

Depending on how this go's, it just force my hand to sort out skype which i've been intending to do for ages now and never got round to it, has anyone any experience of Skype and is it any good?
  • isisme
    isisme Posts: 11 Forumite
    the wife is on the war path, we've been signed up for talk anywhere 400 for about 2 years with various problems. it's been fine for a while but now appear to be paying for a lot of normal calls and certainly within several days of receiving new allocations of minutes.

We've had enough, we've rang and spoken to virgin today(4 different ppl) all of which refusing to enter into any conversation other than "it's correct"

however i've been given 2 different dates of when the minutes start, and also i've checked 4 times today with my minutes total which has changed from 400(this morning) 255(8pm) 0(10pm) 255(10:05pm)

which doesn't fill me with any confidence.

After speaking to an english lady earlier i've tried ringing again after 10 after speaking to the wife, spoke to an asian gent called 'Twinkle' who said it was correct, i put the phone down slightly annoyed then rang back asking for a full itemised breakdown of the talk anywhere calls, which will aparently be sent out in 3-5 days, but then the man i spoke to pointed out as a loyal customer, i was entitled to free upgrade to 20mb BB, (£4 credit for 12 months) which in the initial conversation i'd enquired about and been told to !!!!!! off, and also i'm being sent a tv set top box that i don't want/need through the post.

Very strange sequence of events, has anyone else had any similar experience or advice on how to handle this.

I had the same experience in aug /sep 2011. I had talk anywhere 400, & moved to a new address. I knew we hadnt gone over 400 mins, but i got a bill for all calls over 50p, leading to over £60 of call costs, plus I wasnt given the 6 month discount package agreed with retentions. They effectively doubled the package costs & then had to refund the difference.

I demanded a call log of all talk anywhere mins on the bill & I then sawthat they had duplicated the longer calls ie 2 x calls at 17:50 24 aug for 49 mins 10 secs. Clearly I couldnt have made 2 x calls at the same time for the exact same length of time. There were over 400 mins of calls if you included the duplicates & they had charged me for all calls over 400 mins. By my calculations I had made well under 380 mins of calls even if I rounded up 5sec calls to 1 minute. I was told before I got the call log that I should pay the bill as they had added up the minutes & it was correct. A manager also told me to pay it

When I called again to confirm the bill was wrong as I had told them before, the Virgin manager didnt seem at all surprised & said this duplicate calls problem had happened across London & lots of people were affected. I said why didnt they contact me about it as they had known apparently for nearly a week. I also asked if they had contacted any other customers or were they just taking payments & waiting to see if people complained. She was very vague about whether they were writing to customers but apparently refunds would come on the next bill. 1/ I find that unlikely. 2/ Even if they did then people calling 150 for their minutes will have been told there were 0 mins left so they wouldnt get the minutes they had paid for. I also noticed that I wasnt given the rollover mins from the month.

The manager refused to send a corrected bill. All of the errors made came to over £140.

Also, I too , had been given 3 different dates for when the monthly minutes refresh ie 1st Sept, 7 sep, & finally 14 sep. The last one appeared to be right but each customer service person told me the previous person id spoken to was wrong, or I had made it up & my notes said something different. (Virgin staff dont record complaints properly in my experience). If I had relied on the 1st 2 customer reps I would have definitely gone over the 400 mins thinking it had refreshed at that point so they would have got the extra cash. Also the bill doesnt say when the minutes refresh.

Moral is, always request full itemised bills for all calls on talk anywhere, to avoid unnecessary charges.Its probably not a recent or specific location thing as it seems its be happening from 2009 to the current date.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure