'What religion are you?' poll discussion

Options

Comments

• koexelek
    koexelek Posts: 7,847 Forumite
    Options
    I'd class myself as an athiest, but I have always been interested in the philosophy of Buddhism/Taoism
    I am a Mortgage adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • emidee
    emidee Posts: 71 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Anyone else think option A is a bit hypocritical?!
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm actually a little disappointed there is no option for pagan... I'm not asking for every pagan religion, but a catch-all would have been nice... not just "other" :( *sniffle*
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • ashleypride
    Options
    stevemcol wrote: »
    I ticked K without really thinking about it, because that's what I always consider myself.
    Never really thought about the difference between K & L. As described though, it's almost impossible for someone to be an Atheist. Without proof (very difficult to prove a negative), atheism requires blind faith that no deity exists. Counter intuitive really.
    Anyway, no deities, father xmas, easter bunny, goblins or fairies exist as far as I'm aware.

Aassuming there was a word "afatherxmasist" meaing you do not believe in father xmas - would you be one yourself?

I was born a "atheist" and a "afatherxmasist", I didn't choose the label, but it didn't take any faith blind or not.

But anyway I get your point :)
  • musehead
    Options
    The poll is incorrectly written because an atheist is one who does not believe in a deity. This is not the same as one who believes "deities do not exist". Subtle but huge difference.

I voted athiest but i'm technically agnostic in this poll because I do not believe in the existence of deities (= the existence of deities is unknowable)
  • rag31
    rag31 Posts: 198 Forumite
    Options
    Like others, I've voted for Agnostic because as far as I know you can't prove there is a god/afterlife etc and you can't prove there isn't. My motto tends to be 'I don't know'.

Thankfully, as I enjoy the 'community' aspects of having a religion but don't want to be a hypocrite, I am a member of the Unitarian church which is a creedless and dogma-free faith that welcomes 'those of all faiths and those of none'.

Becky
    Mum of 4 lovely children
  • msph321
    Options
    L. Used to be D, but left a few years ago and it was a good decision for me.
    Listing debts to help keep my eyes on the prize
    Discover - $0 (!!!) :T
    AMEX - [STRIKE]$500.00[/STRIKE] $200.00 | BofA - [STRIKE]$3000.00[/STRIKE] $2000.00 | Capital One - [STRIKE]$2079.60[/STRIKE] $1745.00 | HSBC - $800.00 | Chase - $4000.00 (estimate) | Student loans (federal & private) - will likely be paying for life :mad:
  • minerva_windsong
    Options
    I'm from a Catholic family and was baptised, made holy communion and confirmed in a Catholic church, but I haven't been to church for anything other than Christmas, Easter (yes I'm one of those hypocritical Catholics who only goes to church on holidays), weddings, christenings and funerals since I was about 15. I did dabble in Wicca a bit at uni but it wasn't really for me, although a lot of the philosophies are similar to my own personal beliefs ('harm none' and the interconnection - if that's a word - of life and the environment).
    "A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister
    Married my best friend 1st November 2014
    Loose = the opposite of tight (eg "These trousers feel a little loose")
    Lose = the opposite of find/gain (eg "I'm going to lose weight this year")
  • Didn't see any mention of Humanists..."Humanism is a democratic and ethical life stance, which affirms that human beings have the right and responsibility to give meaning and shape to their own lives. It stands for the building of a more humane society through an ethic based on human and other natural values in the spirit of reason and free inquiry through human capabilities. It is not theistic, and it does not accept supernatural views of reality.” That's my beliefs!
  • epan22
    Options
    Surprised (and pleased) to see the combined Christian vote higher than I expected.
    Surprised that the not practising/aetheist/agnostic total isn't higher.
    Surprised at your spelling of practising!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure