PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Breadmaking - recipes, hints, tips, questions

Options
Not sure how to go about this. But would it be possible to start a thread/ recipe index for all us "breadmaker" afficonados (sp) - and there seems to be quite a few of us :D .

It just struck me that a lot of us through trial and error have come up with some fantastic breadmaker recipes and tips that would be great to share with others on this site. It would def save others time, energy and money!

Judi and Squeaky could you please advise if this would be a good idea and how to go about it?

For example my first tip is whenever I boil potatoes I keep the water and use that for my breadmaking - the starch in the water is very good for making bread!

Megaxx

Comments

• squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    megasaver wrote:
    Not sure how to go about this. But would it be possible to start a thread/ recipe index for all us "breadmaker" afficonados (sp) - and there seems to be quite a few of us :D .

It just struck me that a lot of us through trial and error have come up with some fantastic breadmaker recipes and tips that would be great to share with others on this site. It would def save others time, energy and money!

Judi and Squeaky could you please advise if this would be a good idea and how to go about it?

For example my first tip is whenever I boil potatoes I keep the water and use that for my breadmaking - the starch in the water is very good for making bread!

Megaxx

Sure! You just have! Welcome to the thread starter club. chuckle.gif

I'll check down the list of threads in here shortly to make sure it's not duplicated 'cos I know there's been talk of bread here and there (in which case I'll join them together, or something).

I'm sure the vultu erm... foodies, will be along shortly :)

Nice idea, nice tip :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • cristin
    cristin Posts: 56 Forumite
    Options
    What a great idea! I have made potato bread in my breadmaker, but nobody ever mentioned using potato water before. I usually have tons of it, do you think it would be ok to freeze it and then use it as and when? (sad I know, but if it is as good as Megasaver says ;) it might be worth freezing)

All the recipes in the book that came with came my breadmaker recommend using milk powder. I don't bother to use it does anybody?

Lastly (and the real reason for this message :D ) I would love a recipe for Chocolate bread for my daughter (and for me:rotfl: ) or some sort of brioche type bread I can give her for breakfast. Any of you foodies out there got a tried and trusted breadmaker recipe for these pleaseeeee. The ones found on the US sites scare me a bit as they are in cup sizes - and I am no good at those - only weights
  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    cristin wrote:
    I would love a recipe for Chocolate bread for my daughter (and for me:rotfl: ) or some sort of brioche type bread I can give her for breakfast.

I've got a recipe for Brioche here, although I've not yet tried myself but it comes from the bread machine cookbook so should be a good recipe.

Ingredients
    4 medium eggs (room temp)
    125g butter, melted and cooled
    6 tbsp warm water
    450g strong white flour
    1.5 tsp salt
    2 tbsp caster sugar
    7g sachet of dried yeast
    melted butter for glazing

Method

Pour eggs, butter and water into BM pan, then add half the flour. Sprinkle with salt and sugar then cover with remaining flour and mound the yeast in the centre. Set to dough setting.

When ready remove dough from bucket and lightly knead on floured surface. Place in buttered tin (it mentions a proper brioche tin here but assuming not many people own one of those I'd say a loaf tin would be fine - capacity of 1.5 litres). Brush with melted butter then bake for 10 mins at 220C/425F/gas 7. Reduce temp to 190C/375F/gas 5 and continue to bake for further 25-30 mins until well risen and golden.
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    cristin wrote:
    All the recipes in the book that came with came my breadmaker recommend using milk powder. I don't bother to use it does anybody?
    Yes and no. Mostly when the mood takes me, and even then I don't always use the full amount. To be honest I'm not sure I can really taste the difference, but what the heck :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Whoah there!!

It's pretty clear that since many of us MSE'ers have a breadmaker this thread with recipes and tips is going to grow fast and big. In a while it will become a nightmare to find things (like it has on the vinegar threads, for example), and will also become a huge task for us board guides to index so that people can find things.

Rather than have a dedicated collection of recipes and tips like we have in the recipe thread we could allow this thread to be free flowing chat and discussion but just change things around a bit so that an Index post will be the first one at the top.

It's much easier to start one and keep one than it is to come along afterwards and try to work through things.

Any thoughts folks?
  • Curry_Queen
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Brilliant idea, go for it :T

You might have noticed that I've started adding the recipe title in title bar to make things easier to search for too ;)

Edit: I don't know which would be easier for you actually ... making an index at the start of a thread or adding sub-categories to your existing index i.e. Breadmaker recipes; Slow cooker recipes etc

I know it would be a complete nightmare to try and do a slow cooker recipe index as there's so many pages to that thread and many of which have already been posted in the recipe index are adaptable or a slow cooker recipe anyway ... hmmmm scrap that idea, I need more :coffee: LOL!
    ~

• squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Brilliant idea, go for it :T

You might have noticed that I've started adding the recipe title in title bar to make things easier to search for too ;)

Edit: I don't know which would be easier for you actually ... making an index at the start of a thread or adding sub-categories to your existing index i.e. Breadmaker recipes; Slow cooker recipes etc

I know it would be a complete nightmare to try and do a slow cooker recipe index as there's so many pages to that thread and many of which have already been posted in the recipe index are adaptable or a slow cooker recipe anyway ... hmmmm scrap that idea, I need more :coffee: LOL!

Yes I noticed - Real Titles! Coo! :p

I'm pretty sure that sooner or later there will be either a MAIN FOOD INDEX pointing to all the different foodie based threads which might be as a Links section in the recipe index or just might be a post on its own somewhere to point to all the dozens of useful places to go. Not to mention a collection of good recipe sites from all over the web that members have posted...

Give us chance - we've got lots of catching up to do :)
  • Curry_Queen
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    squeaky wrote:
    Give us chance - we've got lots of catching up to do :)

Don't worry, I'm sure none of us expect all this to appear overnight ;)

You and Judi are doing a superb job as it is and we know how much time and effort you're both putting in to do all this for us, for which we're all eternally grateful :A
    ~

• squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Don't worry, I'm sure none of us expect all this to appear overnight ;)

You and Judi are doing a superb job as it is and we know how much time and effort you're both putting in to do all this for us, for which we're all eternally grateful :A

I've just asked Judi to pop in and take a look :)

Edit: And THANKS (silly me)
  • rchddap1
    rchddap1 Posts: 5,926 Forumite
    Options
    I can help with this one. Bought my Morphy Richards Bread maker at the weekend, and inside the recipe book is one for Chocolate Bread. This is for a 2lb loaf

Water 1.5 cups
    Egg (beaten) 1 Medium
    Skimmed milk powder 1.5 tbsp
    sunflower oil 1.5 tbsp
    sugar 3/4 cup
    salt 1 tsp
    chopped walnuts 0.25 cup (added on the beep)
    white bread flour 3 cups
    cocoa powder 0.75 cup
    fast action yeast 1.5 cup

Setting: Sweet

I hope this helps

Bread maker is great, have made a pizza (must remember to cut the recipe down...as our pizza grew slightly), and a wholemeal loaf. Thanks to all that encouraged me
    Baby Year 1: Oh dear...on the move

Lily contracted Strep B Meningitis Dec 2006 :eek: Now seemingly a normal little monster. :beer:
    Love to my two angels that I will never forget.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure