Loft conversion insulation

We recently moved into a new home with a 2 year old loft conversion. The room itself seems quite cold although there is an issue with the radiator so we are getting that fixed. Looking into the eaves however there appears to be no insulation...is that normal?

I am presuming there is some insulation between the roof and the ceiling but would have also thought there should be some in the eaves themselves. Am I right?

I have attached a couple pics of what it looks like.

6ykndzmt9

s9i7i94xp

Comments

• beaker141
    beaker141 Posts: 509 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I think it depends on if the small stud wall seperating your loft room from that eaves is insulated or not?

When I did mine, I insulated the floor in that space as its the ceiling to the rooms below - as it would have been insulated before conversion. I also then added 60mm of celotex insulation into the rafters to further insulate and have an insulated storage area.

The insulation in the small wall between my room and the eaves is 100mm celotex.

The main place for you to check is the ceiling insulation to your loft room - as thats where most heat would be lost.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,801 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 16 January 2017 at 4:10PM
    I can't see the pic, but beaker's description of how insulation goes in a conversion makes sense to me.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • phil24_7
    phil24_7 Posts: 1,535 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Nope, no pics for me either!
  • paye
    paye Posts: 448 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    when my loft was getting done, my eaves were insulated. My loft is a sauna when the heating is on.
    Save Save Save:o

SPC 593 paye:o
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    IF they did it to building regs there has to be insulation.

All I can see in your photos is boarding of the floor, so it's impossible to tell if there is insulation under there or not.
    The stud walls should be insulated, but you'll have to drill into them to check. Also the gap between the ceiling and the rafters should be insulation, no matter how small it is, again probably celotex. You should be able to shine a torch into the gap between roof and ceiling from inside the eaves
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • bmthmark
    bmthmark Posts: 297 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    paye wrote: »
    when my loft was getting done, my eaves were insulated. My loft is a sauna when the heating is on.

I had my conversion done last year and mine was insulated in the eaves with celotex and also TLX silver.
    The room gets very warm when the heating is on.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure