2»

Comments

• J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,443 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    MrsB says we need a 'box'
    She has been recommended one of these
    https://www.entertainmentbox.com/

Basically, we would like to watch catch-up TV, maybe occasional films and perhaps an odd football game.

We 'only' have rural broadband 2.5 meg down, 0.3 up

We would also like to take it to our house in Paphos, Cyprus to do similar stuff there (occasionally)

Would the box be suitable and would it require any subscription?
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    J_B wrote: »
    MrsB says we need a 'box'

We 'only' have rural broadband 2.5 meg down, 0.3 up
    .> Cannot see that as working for the majority of streams >>

We would also like to take it to our house in Paphos, Cyprus to do similar stuff there (occasionally)

<<Works anyplace in the world .>>

Would the box be suitable and would it require any subscription

Sub depends upon whay you want some services are subscription others are not .
    But they are all in effect stealing the actual sources and are subject to buffering loss of sources etc .
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    19lottie82 wrote: »
    I've not used one before......... is it simple enough to get to grips with?
    I just viewed them as a clunky looking chip that kids used to learn basic programming (obviously not the case)!

The Raspberry Pi is easy to setup if you can copy some files to a micro SD card. Jave lots of pictures buy a large micro SD card, but USB memory sticks also work. So storage not an issue.

Copy files into the card, pop it into the Pi and connect to a TV or monitor switch it on (you can run it off a 5v powerbank for many hours) or a mains powered USB hub or just a 5v power supply. Dont buy a cheap Chinese one though. Decent brand phone charger with micro USB connector works well.

Switch it on and leave it for a little while, it installs iself. You can use an Microsoft media center remote, this is what i use or even a xbox or PS controller or even a mouse and keyboard.

There are lots of different OS installs. OpenELEC installs Kodi as the main enviroment so after the initial install when you power on the Kodi runs at startup.

Works exactly the same as the PC version.

How fast is your internet? A 4K movie is going to be approx 60GIG...

Your going to need an absolute minimum of 60MB and to make sure you dont have buffering issues a lot higher.

But with compression the filesize comes down, but to a point where a standard 1080 film will be better quality.

See this link i created yesterday about bitrates. Just 3 identical pictures saved with different lossy compression. File size goes down with the quality. The pictures are 1/4 1080 size, the one on the right is 1/10th of the file size to the one on the left.

http://forgotmyname.50webs.com/MSE124/
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Rummer65
    Rummer65 Posts: 32 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I found it a lot easier and cheaper to just put kodi on my lap top and connect it the tv. My android box is sitting dormant in the drawer
  • 19lottie82
    19lottie82 Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'm not sure a raspberry pi is for me....... think I would rather stick to pure android.thanks for the suggestion though.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    The Pi wont suit everyones needs, but it appears to suit yours.

Your choice at the end of the day. But the Pi3 is only £30 - £35. With unlimited storage options, from micro SD to USB sticks and even USB external drives etc.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Exemplar
    Exemplar Posts: 1,604 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I use both an Amazon Fire Stick and an Apple TV box. Both work 100%.
    'Just because its on the internet don't believe it 100%'. Abraham Lincoln.

I have opinions, you have opinions. All of our opinions are valid whether they are based on fact or feeling. Respect other peoples opinions, stop forcing your opinions on other people and the world will be a happier place.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    :spam:

You know what to do ....
  • Nodding_Donkey
    Nodding_Donkey Posts: 2,738 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    After warranty problems with both a Firestick and a Kindle* I avoid Amazon products like the plague.

We have three of these and they just work http://www.gearbest.com/tv-box-mini-pc/pp_471368.html

* Apparently the Kindle can't be repaired yet they can sell you a 'refurbished' one.

How do you refurbish something that can't be repaired?
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    mahi2723 wrote: »
    The Assassin’s Creed identity Android APK game almost similar to the first released version of Assassin’s Creed Android game. He the assassin’s need to jog towards the climber walls, Hills by defeated the villains who like to oppose their path,

:eek: You know what to do :spam:

I bought one of these (not from this supplier, and I paid £4 less) earlier this year. Works great.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure