Council Tax Cost Cutting: reduce your band and grab any discounts Discussion Area

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,636 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    as mentioned even brought in my Councillor and MP who have written directly to the Chief Executive of my Borough Council!

Rather poor show that a MP writes to the wrong department!
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • lincroft1710
    The crux of my argument being, when I use accurate information as to what my house price is valued at now using a variety of sources, (e.g. Zoopla, Right Move, and even Martin Lewis checklist), and what it would be valued at os of 1 April 1991, it puts it at 13% less than what a Band E should be. Putting me categorically into Band D. One of their counter arguments is that these 'house price index' sites are not reliable nor valid. However I have proof of the value of the house in October 1989 (HM Land Registry), and can link this to government figures of inflation and again, this shows my house at being in a lower band. .

Having used the house price comparison sites on many occasions, I have found them to be hopelessly inaccurate, the worst being 25%. Also house prices in most areas fell between 1989 and 1991, probably by 20%.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Hi Lincroft170,

Thank you for your responses. I did not realise that house prices dropped by around 20% between 1989 and 1991. On the Money Saving Expert website it suggests using Nethouseprices, Zoopla and Rightmove. I used this information in part to form my argument. Is there anywhere I can procure indisputable information to solidify my argument?

Forgive me for always stating within my text... 'Thank you for taking the time to read my response', but am genuinely grateful.
  • lincroft1710
    I used this information in part to form my argument. Is there anywhere I can procure indisputable information to solidify my argument?

Forgive me for always stating within my text... 'Thank you for taking the time to read my response', but am genuinely grateful.

There is nowhere you can obtain information to support your argument as it is flawed. The VOA have details of 99.999% of property transactions in GB and as CT has been around for 23 years could easily see if your band was incorrect.

You don't need to thank a poster in your text, although it is very welcome. Each post has a "Thanks" button at the bottom, you just click on this.
  • What is the situation if the house was not actually build in 1991 but I believe the house was put into the wrong Council Tax band ? How can I find out the value of a house build after 1991 ?
  • lincroft1710
    What is the situation if the house was not actually build in 1991 but I believe the house was put into the wrong Council Tax band ? How can I find out the value of a house build after 1991 ?

You can only ever get an approximation, house price indices and other online tools are inaccurate. Look for other similar houses nearby are they in the same or different bands.

Why do you think your band is wrong?
  • Hi, Can anyone help?

We are challenging our council tax band, trouble is they have written back to say it is after the 6 month deadline of when we moved in. We were not aware that we can challenge,

We will appeal this initial decision, BUT are there any thing we can say to help our appeal, other we did nor know it had to be within 6 months of moving?

Thank you

Chris
  • lincroft1710
    Hi, Can anyone help?

We are challenging our council tax band, trouble is they have written back to say it is after the 6 month deadline of when we moved in. We were not aware that we can challenge,

We will appeal this initial decision, BUT are there any thing we can say to help our appeal, other we did nor know it had to be within 6 months of moving?

Thank you

Chris

No point appealing the outside 6 month time limit, you would be wasting your time, the time of the VOA and the time of the Valuation Tribunal. Saying you were unaware of the time limit will get you nowhere.

Basically if the appeal is out of time, that's it!

Much more productive would be to acknowledge the appeal is out of time, but ask the VOA if they would in any case, review the band. You should have a reason why you think the band is wrong and if you know of other similar houses in the vicinity in a lower band, you should provide details of these to the VOA.
  • Hi there,

Not sure whether to claim on mine or not. Basically in my close there are a mixture of houses including some 3 bed terraced Band C's, semi D's like my own and some 4 bed Band E's. In the Exeter location, as far as I'm aware every other 3 bed semi is Band C, even including my parents house which is far larger, but for some reason ours is a D.

I've checked on the valuation site and tried a few figures before we purchased it in Sep 2013 for £190k which equates to £59,637 in the calculator, although it was on the market for £210k which is £65,915. The upper limit for the banding is £68,000.

I have claimed before on a Band B flat whereas every other flat is A and was rejected.

Can anyone advise?
  • lincroft1710
    stuarta99 wrote: »
    semi D's like my own and some 4 bed Band E's. In the Exeter location, as far as I'm aware every other 3 bed semi is Band C, even including my parents house which is far larger, but for some reason ours is a D.

Can anyone advise?

Ask why yours is Band D, when others (quote addresses) are Band C. As there is a possibility your parents' house may be underbanded, don't quote theirs!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback