Electric Central Heating (NOT Night Storage)

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    beach_girl wrote: »
    [EMAIL="shorty770561@hotmail.com"]shorty770561@hotmail.com[/EMAIL] I'm in the process of gutting a house which has no gas/oil and totally confused by all the options have been offered ugly storage heaters; gel rads and wet heating; the wet heating seems good but aother plumber has said they're unreliable; have spoken to EDF and their charges are:- E7 starts from 10.00 or 11.00 (dependant on GMT) and only cost 5.21 pence for 7 hours and in the day 19.18 per kw - standard costs are 18.23 for first 225 kw then 12.38. I hope somebody gets this but I'm confused and will be ending up spending nigh on 4,500 grand for a boiler and a system but want to choose the best and most reliable! If you've got a wet system boiler your feedback on reliability (or not!) would be appreciated to help make a decision. Thanks - make sure you put your sun cream on when you're away from the computer!:confused:

You can get electricity cheaper than theprices you quote.

If you are spending that sort of money, I suggest you look at an Air Source Heat pump system - like the Mitsubishi Ecodan.

Any electric heating system, other than storage heating and heat pumps, will cost a fortune to run.
  • amtrakuk
    amtrakuk Posts: 630 Forumite
    edited 3 June 2010 at 1:02AM
    i have had a thermal store just fitted to replace my 12 Kw Redring Powerstream.

I am using standard rate electric, the Navitron 172 litre store being heated by 2x 3Kw immersion heaters set to 70 degrees. The cylinder has 100mm of insulation.

Results are VERY impressive! Can run nearly two baths of 50 degree hot water at mains water pressure before the hot tap starts to cool off! OK it takes about 1.5 hours to fully recover the heat from exhausted but 150+ litres of hot water is more than I will ever need at one time.

I have tried doing an electric standing heat loss comparison by not using any hot water for 24 hours, Redring heat loss (zero) vs Thermal Store. I would say the standing heat loss is negligible, I assume paying the extra for 100mm insulation is worth it!

Apart from proper hot water at 50 degrees at the tap at mains water pressure I like the fact this seems to be the safe alternative to an unvented cylinder. As there is no stored unvented hot water there is no need for safety valves, annual inspection etc so the system is inherently safe. And hot water only takes literally a couple of seconds to reach the farthest tap!

Another option I am considering is reinstating my wet central heating radiators. The radiators are still on the walls (bar 2) and the pipework is still there. As there is a coil half way up the thermal store above the lower heating element Im planning of upgrading the lower element to 6Kw and plumbing in the coil to the radiator circuit including an expansion vessel, fill link to the cold supply and pump linked to a room thermostat. This truly shows the flexibility of a thermal store!

Oh from what a friend recommended and I did, it might be worth throwing in a bottle of Fernox into the cylinder. With this I expect 15-20 years service from the cylinder.
  • samtheman1k
    samtheman1k Posts: 473 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Using purely electric to heat your hot water is viable, especially in summer, it's when you use it to heat your house [in winter] that you start using some serious kWh and some serious ££££!
  • amtrakuk
    Using purely electric to heat your hot water is viable, especially in summer, it's when you use it to heat your house [in winter] that you start using some serious kWh and some serious ££££!

True. I set my electric DD at a reasonable level £80 a month. The credit buildup over the summer covers the heating in the winter.

I seemed to remember when I used to have gas in the house my Duel Fuel DD was over £100
  • my electric bill last year for 5 months, oct- feb was £1600. I use 3 storage heaters and heat a tank of water up every night. i was devastated. I hate electric heating.
  • Just to give you and idea of the price of our wet-electric system

It's a 12 Kw Boiler, If we were to use it for 2 hours am (off peak), 1 hour afternoon (to heat water while we are working), 2 hours evening peak time (say 5-7pm) over 30 days this is £190, not including other electric usage or the standing charge. We can easily rack up bills of £300 in the coldest parts of winter,our DD is set to £122 per month, and we finished paying last years arrears last month :-(

We do have high ceilings (4m high) and lost of windows (secondary glazing) as it is an old sandstone victorian flat (2 bedroom)

I certainly couldn't recommend wet electric to anyone given its running cost!
  • albyota
    albyota Posts: 1,106 Forumite
    hendersonb wrote: »
    Just to give you and idea of the price of our wet-electric system

It's a 12 Kw Boiler, If we were to use it for 2 hours am (off peak), 1 hour afternoon (to heat water while we are working), 2 hours evening peak time (say 5-7pm) over 30 days this is £190, not including other electric usage or the standing charge. We can easily rack up bills of £300 in the coldest parts of winter,our DD is set to £122 per month, and we finished paying last years arrears last month :-(

We do have high ceilings (4m high) and lost of windows (secondary glazing) as it is an old sandstone victorian flat (2 bedroom)

Unless you have Wet underfloor heating with an air to water heat pump.....running on electricity! Nice and cheap bills.:j
    There are three types of people in this world...those that can count ...and those that can't! ;)

* The Bitterness of Low Quality is Long Remembered after the Sweetness of Low Price is Forgotten!
  • amtrakuk
    hendersonb wrote: »
    Just to give you and idea of the price of our wet-electric system

That sounds pricy but about right.. In the winter I use about £125 of electric a month however in the warmer months I use about £35 a month.

Some tips I can suggest;

Shop round on a regular basis for the cheapest supplier, This summer I changed to Scottish power (T1 at 16.1p and T2 at 6.1p per Kwh) in the Leeds area.

Only heat the rooms you use. I heat the Bedroom, Kitchen and Front room to a temperature where it is just comfortable, the other rooms I set the heaters so they feel chilly but not cold.
  • as any one got these german or italian electric radiators fitted and can you connect them to economy 7 or not
  • Does anyone of you could help me with the issues below please:

As a new flat owner, I want to replace an existing electric immersion storage heater tank into something smaller. my plumber suggested me to install a wet central heating at the costs of £4500 (labour and materials) for a 32qms purpose build studio flat in Middlesex, London. He
    recommended me the Fusion E10 Combi boiler unit 14.4kw/150L COMB14150 model.

Is there any other smaller and cheaper boiler can I have? Is it a reasonable price for 2 plumber to take 2 days to finish the job and £2500 as labour and pipes material fees (£2000 for the boiler unit)?

Many thanks in advance.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport