Peel-Away or Kling-Strip - which is better

Comments

• We used PeelAway. Is a complete complete nightmare - and has taken months to do a whole room (and £££).

Looks good though.

Anyone suggest what to use to paint it now?

Dan
  • Leif
    Leif Posts: 3,727 Forumite
    Stina wrote: »
    Hi,

I found the porridge option to work well for me after reading your posts. Thanks!

Now to my question: What paint should I use to repaint the stripped cornicing? It is very detailed Victorian cornicing and I don't want it to clog up, that would make all the work stripping it pointless...

Emulsion paint? Does it need to be watered down and layered? Without paint it is beige and I want to paint it white.

Thankful for advice!!

I tried porridge on woodwork, probably gloss oil paint on wood, and on some painted plaster, lord knows what kind of paint. In neither case did it do anything at all. Is this a wind up or did you really use porridge? And if so, what kind of paint was it and on what surfaces? and did you add sugar or salt? :rotfl:Yeah, I know, an obvious comment. I'm sorry if your post was genuine, but it does seem like a wind up to me, and I wasted time trying porridge. I stick to Eco Solutions for painted wood, though sanding is better IMO.
    Warning: This forum may contain nuts.
  • Hi guys,
    I have been stripping door frames with Klingstrip to remove lead paint. It did a brill job, but it takes litres and litres of water to remove and trace of the chemical on the wood so it is very messy. Now that my door frames are cleand and dry I have started to repaint but the primer/undercoat is no going on at all well; it is blistering and peeling.

Is there something I should be treating the wood with before I paint so this doesn't happen?

I hope someone can help - my carpets arrive in 2 weeks and I have a lot to do!:mad:

Thanks
  • "You also will need to neutralise the surfaces once they've been fully stripped (using either a proprietary neutraliser or your own solution of white vinegar) to ensure that any subsequent paint or varnish takes properly."

I know the above post was posted years ago, but can anyone tell me where I can buy some proprietary neutraliser?
  • Leif
    Leif Posts: 3,727 Forumite
    Ali-Green wrote: »
    "You also will need to neutralise the surfaces once they've been fully stripped (using either a proprietary neutraliser or your own solution of white vinegar) to ensure that any subsequent paint or varnish takes properly."

I know the above post was posted years ago, but can anyone tell me where I can buy some proprietary neutraliser?

Search for Kling Strip and you will find the manufacturer. Then look for the data sheet, and that should tell you what you need to know. Kling Strip is not the same but I think it is similar i.e. caustic soda based. Do check though in case I am wrong.
    Warning: This forum may contain nuts.
  • I've got a flagstone floor which is covered in some sort of sealant which I've tried to get off with paintstripper. It hasn't touched it. Can anyone recommend anything which will get it off? I wondered about Peel-Away or Kling-Strip, but they are designed for lead paint.
  • Paint finishes - try NOT to use plastic based paints - they form an impervious layer and can flake. Best to use one of the new clay paints which are green, and dont trap any form of moisture, thus wont peel. I think a company called Earthborn do them - a lot of my clients use these, from this company, and have had really good results. Good luck with the porridge!
  • I have 4 Victorian carved oak table legs that appear to have been French Polished a long time ago. I have read reviews on Peel Away 7 and none actualy state whether this stuff works on French Polish or not. Once Stripped I want to finish them with a wax polish. Can anyone help?

Thanks
  • Peelaway 7 should work but avoid Peelaway 1 as this has been known to turn oak black because of its caustic properties.

As with any wood finishing product, i would suggest getting a tester pot or the smallest pot available and testing it on a section that is less visible to see how it performs.

Sample packs of Peelaway 7 are avaialable online at...

wood-finishes-direct
    decorating direct
    restexpress
  • Leif wrote: »
    I tried porridge on woodwork, probably gloss oil paint on wood, and on some painted plaster, lord knows what kind of paint. In neither case did it do anything at all. Is this a wind up or did you really use porridge? And if so, what kind of paint was it and on what surfaces? and did you add sugar or salt? :rotfl:Yeah, I know, an obvious comment. I'm sorry if your post was genuine, but it does seem like a wind up to me, and I wasted time trying porridge. I stick to Eco Solutions for painted wood, though sanding is better IMO.

I think that considering the number of new posters here, we have before us,... a new,.... "Porridge Oats Franchise Opportunity" :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure