Where to buy a good saucepan?

We just moved to a new flat and have no kitchen equipment in there. I dont cook much, so set of saucepans like in Argos would be excessive for me. I need just one good big non stick saucepan with lid. Where can I get one? What is the reasonabnle price for it? I've heard good offers are in Asda, but we dont have Asda near us :confused:

Comments

• Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Check jumble sales and charity shops near you, sometimes they have good kitchen equipment. Otherwise, TK MAXX sometimes has very good quality pans at reasonable prices. HTH

Edited to say: even if you don't cook much, now that you have found this forum you might get interested in more cooking, there are some amazingly inspiring posts for beginners etc, so you might want to invest in at least a small basic set - a small frying pan for frying eggs, a small pan for warming milk, a medium pan for steaming veg and making sauces and a larger pan for bulk cooking (and then freezing, which would save you from having to cook more!).
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • I would actually recommend getting a sufficiency of pans, as you always find you need another one! You will be surprised, I am sure, how much kitchen equipment you find you need and on the whole I cannot recommend Wilkinsons enough - I am still using a bucket I bought there in 1988.

I also would recommend spending as much as you can afford, because I spent £60 on a set of Tefal non stick pans in 1989 and they lasted fifteen years. My friend bought cheap pans, which did not last and probably spent more. If you buy one of the more expensive ones from Lakeland you will get a life time guarantee that Lakeland will honour.

Also, I just did a search for non stick new pans on ebay and there were a few, but I think you would have to fall lucky to get a real bargain.

I would recommend Tefal as a good brand, and if you would rather go for less expensive I would go for stainless steel. Inexpensive stainless steel lasts better than inexpensive non stick where the lining comes off and your scrambled eggs come out all speckled. :o

Having said that, I know of people who have had good experiences of pans from Matalan, and if you have a Wilkinsons then it may be worth checking them out or IKEA.

Good luck and congratulations on your new flat.
    Ankh Morpork Sunshine Sanctuary for Sick Dragons - don't let my flame go out!
  • amalis wrote: »
    We just moved to a new flat and have no kitchen equipment in there. I dont cook much, so set of saucepans like in Argos would be excessive for me. I need just one good big non stick saucepan with lid. Where can I get one? What is the reasonabnle price for it? I've heard good offers are in Asda, but we dont have Asda near us :confused:

The best place to ask for such things is on the Shop Don't Drop board, so I'll move your post over :D
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • Barneysmom
    Barneysmom Posts: 10,123 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Have you tried Freecycle? You could ask on there if someone has one?
  • JoCJo2
    JoCJo2 Posts: 131 Forumite
    How the hell does anyone manage with one saucepan??? Unless you live on ready meals, in which case there is no point in having any kind of saucepan.

I know you can buy single pans in most supermarkets and department stores. I can't comment on the quality though
  • amalis
    amalis Posts: 532 Forumite
    JoCJo2 wrote: »
    How the hell does anyone manage with one saucepan??? Unless you live on ready meals, in which case there is no point in having any kind of saucepan.

i have a steamer and all my food i cook in there.

but you guys are right- if to buy something it is better to buy a proper stuff from the beginning. My hubby always tells me that and so many time i ended up with broken stuff just coz i wanted to save on something.
    Thanks for great tips about the quality. I was also thinking of buying something from Tefal coz it is a known brand.
    Have been in TK Maxx yesterday ,but one saucepan on which is written non-stick coast there 19.99:eek:
  • Morrisons sell cheapo "First Home" saucepans singly - they have a milkpan for around £3-£4 and frying pans too.

However from personal experience I would suggest buying a more expensive branded pan in TK Maxx as it will last a LOT longer than the Morrisons ones will - better to invest in a good one that lasts IMO.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 2010 - member 402 :)

• Suggest having a look on QVC - they have some pretty reasonable sets. I would echo the sentiment about the best quality cost more. My prestige set is now 19 years old and like new however they were horrendously expensive (wedding present thankfully). If you would rather just have a medium priced option right now rather than spend lots then have a look at QVC
    NO FARMS = NO FOOD
  • I've had the odd decent pan from Asda. Prestige ones tend to last and are a reasonable price.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure