MFI versus Howdens, your thoughts please

Comments

• debjam
    debjam Posts: 132 Forumite
    I have had howdens in to quote for my new kitchen and commented about the kitchens being same as MFI. Chap explained that Howdens sold MFI off but as part of the deal they had to supply them kitchens until a certain figure was reached (money wise apparantly). MFI are starting to now source kitchens on their own but still obtain most from Howdens.
  • Liz1966 wrote: »
    Aren't the kitchens at B&Q the same as the ones at MFI?

I bought the 'Beech style' kitchen doors from B & Q & they are indistinguishable from MFI's 'Copenhagen' range. It's quite an unusual detail on the door.

I'm getting to the stage where I'm never going to be able to decide where to buy my kitchen!

Perhaps they look the same, but not sure if they are though but can;t confirm either way though.

Our local B&Q is a nightmare to order stuff from, the people there really don't know what they are talking about half the time. And it scares me to think if I part with all this cash what will I end up with?

In the end I fortunately knew a builder (I did work for him on his website) and returned the favour, he recommended Howdens as is giving me all the discounts he would normally take, some as high as 85%.

I find it frustrating though that I can't get a price list but have to ask him to get a quote! Oh well I hope you get your kitchen sorted out, it's more stress than we have had when we did our extension last year!!!
  • Howdens carry MFI's most popular ranges at a heavily discounted price for trade, and as far as I am aware are keeping MFI afloat following their nearly going into administration. I would advise getting the plans and kitchen through Howdens as they keep all of their kitchens in stock and can replace damaged units etc straight away, as opposed to the long wait you normally get with the other major suppliers. As a kitchen fitter I can also state that they are the only company I have not seen a delay in the fit as a result of using.
  • Sarahb_2
    Sarahb_2 Posts: 18 Forumite
    Liz1966 wrote: »
    Aren't the kitchens at B&Q the same as the ones at MFI?

I bought the 'Beech style' kitchen doors from B & Q & they are indistinguishable from MFI's 'Copenhagen' range. It's quite an unusual detail on the door.

I'm getting to the stage where I'm never going to be able to decide where to buy my kitchen!

Just to clarify B & Q and MFI kitchens are not the same. My husband fits kitchens for MFI & has an account at Howdens. In his opinion MFI/Howdens are far superior.
  • Whits
    Whits Posts: 213 Forumite
    riggy wrote: »
    Howdens carry MFI's most popular ranges at a heavily discounted price for trade, and as far as I am aware are keeping MFI afloat following their nearly going into administration.

And why did MFI nearly go into administration? Was it perhaps that their profit was used to open loads of Howdens branches and never paid back to MFI?

As for Howdens supplying MFI, it's rubbish. MFI was sold off but gets to use Hygena and Schreiber kitchens alongside Howdens until the end of this year. Then, MFI will be the only company using Hygena and Schreiber.

What will Howdens do then :confused:
  • Dave_Brooker
    Dave_Brooker Posts: 1,128 Forumite
    Whits wrote: »
    And why did MFI nearly go into administration? Was it perhaps that their profit was used to open loads of Howdens branches and never paid back to MFI?

As for Howdens supplying MFI, it's rubbish. MFI was sold off but gets to use Hygena and Schreiber kitchens alongside Howdens until the end of this year. Then, MFI will be the only company using Hygena and Schreiber.

What will Howdens do then :confused:

Buy them from that bloke who runs "kitchens" and keeps being raided by TS?
    The money, Dave...
  • Hype_2
    Hype_2 Posts: 18 Forumite
    Anyone thinking of buying a kitchensfrom howdens and/or MFI, bear in mind that their carcasses are slightly larger then other kitchens, therefore you would need to buy your worktop from them as well to fit properly.

Most shops have the standard 60cm worktops, however MFI and howdens have larger worktops to cover th size of their carcasses.
  • Sarahb_2
    Sarahb_2 Posts: 18 Forumite
    Hype wrote: »
    Anyone thinking of buying a kitchensfrom howdens and/or MFI, bear in mind that their carcasses are slightly larger then other kitchens, therefore you would need to buy your worktop from them as well to fit properly.

Most shops have the standard 60cm worktops, however MFI and howdens have larger worktops to cover th size of their carcasses.

Hi hype, yes you're right MFI carcasses do come larger than most other manufacturers, however to remedy this a fitter will reduce the units to fit. I know it sounds harsh but it's quite normal for installations to be carried out this way, therefore allowing the customer freedom to purchase worktops from elsewhere.
  • We are having a new kitchen (high gloss cream) fitted in a few weeks.
    We decided to buy from Howdens as they were cheaper than MFI also the units are stored on the shelf in the warehouse.
    And if one warehouse has no stock you can just go to another one and need to wait for them to restock.
    When we inquired about payment at MFI they told us we would need to pay in full 4 weeks before delivery :rotfl:
    We got our appliances from city appliances got a great package deal.
  • HI
    Is the high glass cream similar to the space cream in MFI. I am def still looking at getting mine from Howdens, just waiting for the keys for the new house.
    I will have to get the 1000mm pan drawers which I really want from MFI as Howdens only do an 800mm, there is also another cupboard Howdens don't do.
    I will have a look at City appliances, what was the package you got and were they integrated? Are they a good make, I need to start looking at these things and not just the cupboards.
    I am wanting solid wood work tops, would anyone recommend getting these from Howdens as well, also the flooring, wood again with plinth lights.
    Thanks
    Jules
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family