Smart tv built in wifi

Help!

I'm thinking of buying a smart tv for my bedroom, I plan to buy a smart tv with built in wifi to then download programs from catch up channels via the wifi connection.

To clarify the tv will not be plugged in to sky or anything else (except power point obviously) I literally just want a smart tv in bedroom to occasionally watch things on catch up.

Is that possible or does it have to be connected to sky or an aireal?

Thanks in advance,

Tom

Comments

• Idiophreak
    Idiophreak Posts: 12,024
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Perfectly possible. Or just buy and old TV and stick a chromecast into it...
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    It should work with a network connection only.
  • keicar
    keicar Posts: 76 Forumite
    Should be ok, you don't actually 'download' the programs you stream them.

There's an outside chance in the set up procedure that the TV won't go past the tuning process, but just go to settings and enter your Wi-Fi network password in the correct part of the menu.

In essence you don't need an aerial to stream!
  • NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    Perhaps you are better off with a more simple TV and a NOW TV box.
  • bylromarha
    bylromarha Posts: 10,085
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Idiophreak wrote: »

This.

Just bought me a chromecast. To say I love it is an understatement... my phone is a remote control!!!! Hubby sends pics to the tv from a different room to inform kids its time for bed. It's an amazing piece of kit for £30 (or £18 as I paid :D)
    Who made hogs and dogs and frogs?
  • Can you get reliable wifi signal in the bedroom, and do you expect HD too?
  • tavernman
    tavernman Posts: 575 Forumite
    edited 18 December 2014 at 11:02PM
    Idiophreak wrote: »
    Assuming the "old" TV has hdmi and something to control it with https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=chromecast+control+tv&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=0lyTVMvaAYOrUcmJhKgL
  • keicar
    keicar Posts: 76 Forumite
    tavernman wrote: »
    Can you get reliable wifi signal in the bedroom, and do you expect HD too?

Why not? My Sky router (not the best for wi-fi) will carry a signal to my Now TV box over three floors and we don't know where the OP's router is located.

Regardless in the off chance the problem is not insurmountable with the addition of an access point/bridge.
  • tavernman
    tavernman Posts: 575 Forumite
    edited 19 December 2014 at 12:26AM
    keicar wrote: »
    Why not? My Sky router (not the best for wi-fi) will carry a signal to my Now TV box over three floors and we don't know where the OP's router is located.

Regardless in the off chance the problem is not insurmountable with the addition of an access point/bridge.

Indeed why not, but I asked because if he/she has not then , that is only part of the problem, and I seem to remember asking if he/she wants HD(1080p) too(is that available on a Now TV box?), oh and they have not stated what catchup services they want to view. Some TVs and some Dongles have access to some services, but not necessarily all.
  • Idiophreak
    Idiophreak Posts: 12,024
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    tavernman wrote: »

Sorry, when I (mis)typed "any old tv", I meant "any tv" - as in "any TV that takes your fancy".

Of course, most *old* tvs would still work, subject to your limitations :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure