The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

November 2014 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• I'll be trying a few new recipes each month wherever possible, using mainly stuff I have in. This month I fancy trying some red lentil recipes. Anyone have any great ideas? Would be very grateful if you could share, as I have loads, and I know they're good for me... The most I've ever done is use them to bulk out spag bol when I was reaaaaaalllly hard up!

TIA
    PG x
    Lentils are so versatile. You can make soup, curry, chilli, lentil burgers, shepherds pie, lentil loaf etc.

You can even make them into a pate/dip and have with bread/pittas or vegetables.

The red ones especially can go in almost anything to bulk it out.
    2 adults groceries: June £35.79/£200
    # 3 - Saving for Xmas 2015 £1 a day. £122/£365
    TTC #1 since 06/08/12
  • WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Hello everyone! I'm pledging £100 for November. this is a little over the £1pppd rule I try to follow, but allows for when I feed the bf, and to buy a few things ready for the big C. As always, I am starting with a huge stock, which never seems to go down!!

I'll be trying a few new recipes each month wherever possible, using mainly stuff I have in. This month I fancy trying some red lentil recipes. Anyone have any great ideas? Would be very grateful if you could share, as I have loads, and I know they're good for me... The most I've ever done is use them to bulk out spag bol when I was reaaaaaalllly hard up!

TIA
    PG x

You could use them to make a red lentil dal/dahl. http://www.jamieoliver.com/news-and-features/features/lentils-and-basic-tarka-dhal-recipe/ It is really yummy and I often have it with toasted pittas, guacamole and salad.

Or maybe a lentil burger: http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipe/red-lentil-burgers

I use mine to add to soups, stews or anything that needs thickening up too.
  • julieu
    julieu Posts: 8 Forumite
    please add me to the list for November just been through my outgoings and we need to make some changes -small ones at first so wastage and spend on food are the first to be tackled please put me down for £200
    Save 12K 2015 No 85
  • Another £10.47 spent today on lasting things; caster sugar, lemonade, more onions, cherry tomatoes and some pomegranites too :)
    Daughter born 26/03/14
    Son born 13/02/21
  • malamay
    malamay Posts: 793 Forumite
    This will be my last month this year, as we are travelling for most of December.

I'd like to aim for £150 or less even, as we will need to run the fridge (and freezer) down.
    Swagbucks Amazon gift vouchers 2014 125/250
    GC October 100.8/150 September 99.36/180 August 178.77/180 June 163.18/180 May 177.89/180 April 160.66/180 March 163.48/180 Feb 154.21/150 Jan 51.65/150
  • I would like to join and spend £150 from 27/10 - 27/11.
    I tend to do my main shop in a*di once a week.
    Will do my first of the challenge shops tomorrow...aiming to spend £30.
    Mortgage 22 years £190,419 at 2.84% fixed for 2 years from 1st July 2014

Mortgage 21 yrs 6 mths £186,059 as of February 2015

Mortgage 20 years 7 months £178,644.68 February 2016
  • Eyebright
    Eyebright Posts: 1,018
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    Forumite
    Kickstarted my November GC off with £1.55 spent at the corner shop on a loaf of bread :eek: so off to a rubbish start! Next plan is to do a meal plan and an inventory of the freezer and staples.

Made a lovely gammon hock and pinto bean soup/stew in the SC today. £3.00 for a huuuuge gammon hock that has made 6 generous portions, could easily stretch to 8 portions if I'm honest. Very cheap to make. Love frugal dinners!
    POAYDBX 2020 #? 20/4000
    1 debt vs 100 days #14 20/1000
    Saving for Christmas 2020 50/500
    EF Saving 285/500
  • dingdongsaving
    dingdongsaving Posts: 596
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 26 October 2014 at 9:34PM
    £350 for November please.

My month runs alongside dates - so 1st-30th.

We're going into Nov with enough nappies & wipes for the entire month, but we have Thanksgiving to think about...3 days of family feasting & leftovers, but a pricey meal with a turkey & vast array of sides and pies to cook. (Well worth it though - Thanksgiving dinner and American football really "make" this holiday for hubby now we live here). :heart2:
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,480
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I've had my first spend for the November GC - bought 2 rabbits at a farmers market for £8 - one of which has been frozen and the second is currently in the SC nearly cooked and will be dinner on Tuesday night!

To make the stew I needed some vegetables so also spent £1.75 at the local farm shop. A total of £9.75/£250 so far.

Denise
  • Hello! I'm another newbie trying the challenge out. I'm planning on spending £130 for November, starting on the 1st. This should go smoothly for me, if I spend less on pizza and snacks. Pizza is always my downfall.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure