Discuss the BA Amex credit cards

Comments

• knightfox
    knightfox Posts: 355 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I do feel that you need to be flexible on the different flights that are available for use of the miles. however there is still plenty of options over Christmas, if your had the miles needed.
  • knightfox
    knightfox Posts: 355 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    But what the report doesnt say. That whilst these are nice cards to have. They are getting more difficult to get one. It depends on peoples finances.
  • Hi folks,

I just want to mention that with the Virgin credit cards the free companion flight can only be used when purchasing a qualifying flight on Virgin (with the cards we mention in the guide you can use the companion flight when redeeming miles).

See here for the terms and conditions:
    http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/en/gb...ions/index.jsp

MSE Alana
  • Hi,

Just called AMEX re transfering a balance and they said 'we are not doing transfers at the moment'.

Anyone else had this experience?

Regards,

CAG_8888
  • Deano1979
    Deano1979 Posts: 7 Forumite
    MSE_Alana wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I just want to mention that with the Virgin credit cards the free companion flight can only be used when purchasing a qualifying flight on Virgin (with the cards we mention in the guide you can use the companion flight when redeeming miles).

MSE Alana

This is very important - especially the 'Qualifying Flight' bit. After paying for the Premium Virgin card and recieving my companion voucher, I was looking forward to treating my wife to a week in Miami or Vegas...

It turns out that the cheapest 'economy' flights available do not qualify. The qualifying flights in the same class are much more expensive. To book 2 flights in economy using a companion voucher, you have to pay the full (increased) cost of the fist qualifying ticket, then the taxes on the companion flight. The combined cost is usually more than simply paying in full for 2 normal economy fares.

Although I could 'save' more by booking Premium Economy, this requires an even bigger actual outlay as the 'purchased' ticket costs even more.

I therefore feel a bit cheated by the VA credit card. I'll continue to use VA, as thier prices are good to start with, and the miles plus money fares are readily available and provide some value. But I will not be paying for the premium card next year.

Is the 'companion voucher' for BA any better, or are there similar catches??
  • speedbird1973
    speedbird1973 Posts: 526 Forumite
    Deano1979 wrote: »
    Is the 'companion voucher' for BA any better, or are there similar catches??

The BA voucher cannot be used with a cash paid flight. It's 2 for 1 on your airmiles purchased ticket. So you pay taxes for both, but no fare itself. Not great value for NYC, but for Las Vegas or west coast USA it's OK value in economy. 50k miles + £600 in taxes gets you two tickets. Discount economy is about £750 return for each ticket. 100k + £800 in taxes will score you 2 Club World returns with a face value of about £8000 in total if you bought two tickets.
  • Deano1979
    Deano1979 Posts: 7 Forumite
    The BA voucher cannot be used with a cash paid flight. It's 2 for 1 on your airmiles purchased ticket. So you pay taxes for both, but no fare itself. Not great value for NYC, but for Las Vegas or west coast USA it's OK value in economy. 50k miles + £600 in taxes gets you two tickets. Discount economy is about £750 return for each ticket. 100k + £800 in taxes will score you 2 Club World returns with a face value of about £8000 in total if you bought two tickets.

That sounds more like it. Only possible issues there are
    1) Availability of reward flights
    2) If you are qulifying for an annual companion voucher, you may not be able to actually use it if you don't have enough points to purchase a ticket.
  • Deano1979 wrote: »
    That sounds more like it. Only possible issues there are
    1) Availability of reward flights
    2) If you are qulifying for an annual companion voucher, you may not be able to actually use it if you don't have enough points to purchase a ticket.

Availability is very much an issue - Las Vegas never has availability between 2 and 8 months out. Over 8 months, or in the next month is usually OK. SYD can be a real problem. People seem to need to book the outbound leg at midnight on release day and then the inbound a single two weeks later!

You should have enough miles. With the standard BA Amex you need to spend £20k to get the voucher, so you're almost halfway to a redemtion there. If you fly a little/exchange clubcard points you should be OK.
  • athorny
    athorny Posts: 5 Forumite
    Hi,

I find the Companion voucher absolutely IMPOSSIBLE to use and therefore absolutely USELESS as a benefit. This is over a four year period of trying and trying.

I have school going kids so can only fly on holiday in school holidays. I have tried EVERYTHING to get the voucher to come on exactly the right day to then book exactly the maximum amount of time in advance that I can book. All absolutely useless because BA never keeps any flights open. (Oh, except for Economy where the taxes are so high you might as well book on another airline for the same cash).

Any tips or is this actually all a big BA / Amex con?

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport