Hello Again...

Comments

• Abz12 wrote: »
    Afternoon... Eager_Elephant - thanks for your post. I have had a quick look at that thread and some of them sound really positive and will defo make me more determined. I am going to have another look later on and maybe join some of the challenges. I am running out of space in my signature though! Also, catching up on your diary but give me some time it starts in 2010.

To save you reading my diary a brief synopsis is that on the 1st of Jan each year I become all determined to clear debt and then throughout the year I lose focus. I occasionally pay off debt, we and lose various animals and up until a few years ago my DH as a !!!!! and I have been on the verge of leaving him a lot of times!! :rotfl:

Yesterday was a good day, I got the train, yay for me on saving on parking and getting a little exercise and fresh air! My train ticket cost less than £3.70 and was £2.60 so have already moved the £1.10 onto my credit card. Nationwide must be slightly annoyed at me for moving little bits of money here and there but who cares, after all they have to work for us not the other way around! :-) I did spend on a meal though and thought as long as I send under £10, that's not bad. Have also spoken to them and said I will not be visiting or going out until at least one of their birthdays in Feb. I didn't go it to much detail but used my exams as an excuse. Whilst waiting for my train I found a shop that is right up my street so went in for a quick browse. I loved the items in there, candles, knicks and knacks and notepads. Although I really wanted to purchase something I thought about spending the money or paying down the debt and asked myself if I really needed it.

Well done on resisting the spends and also for setting your friends expectations early.
    OH ordered a takeaway when I got back and I have to admit I did put £5 towards it. This was cash already in my purse so I am justifying this way! NO more takeaways! I think when I get back to work there will be some sort of normality so aim to plan the meals and stick to them. Just don't like cooking every day so ask OH (who is better at cooking than me) to cook on the weekends but he is so lazy.

£5 on a take away is not bad - if OH refuses to cook on his nights can you just chuck a couple of jacket potatoes in the oven?

I also was thinking last night that I should find out when my interest free balance transfer ends on the Halifax card as I am sure I am paying interest on the card for purchases I have made. Will check tomorrow when I am at work and could potentially balance transfer the balance I am paying interest on, does this make sense or should I just leave it all where it is? Am currently only paying the minimum on it - £45 until I clear the Nationwide card and my car, which should be done in September, giving me £185 a month to use to clear the card, just from car payment. Anyway sorry about the ramble but off to study now.

Halifax statements are quite clear and concise so hopefully the info will be easy to find and then you can make a decision about balance transfers etc
    They also show what the different rates of interest are and what interest you have been charged that month.

If the interest on purchases is higher than Nationwide then I would be inclined to pay off the purchases first and then go back to Nationwide.

Highest interest bearing debt on a credit card is cleared first so any payments would go to the purchases.
  • Abz12
    Abz12 Posts: 221 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks for posting Eager_Elephant - I like to busy myself an keep myself motivated so will continue reading your diary. I'm part way through 2010 atm. It's nice to read about others who are motivated an I recognise a lot of your struggles with your OH. Mine is also a glass of half empty kind of guy and blames me for ALOT of his negative attitudes. He has in the last 5-6 months turned a corner but as your probably aware when someone suffers with depression it can rear its ugly head again.

I read your response not long after you posted and you encouraged me to call Halifax instead of putting it off until tomorrow as usual! I spoke to a really nice lady and she said that my purchases currently total £511.05 of which I pay 18.9% interest on. My interest last month was £8 something. I carried out a balance transfer last Feb of just over £3k and then obviously spent way to much on it. The BT 0% ends on the 9/12/17 so I have ages to clear it but do not intend to keep it that long. I might take your advice and clear that first as I'm paying interest on it and at £45 a month min payment it will take 11 months and 2 weeks to clear just that! My nationwide card is 0% until end of this year also. I am quite lucky that I have a decent credit rating as I have never missed a payment so get 0% offers all the time. Was thinking I may BT the purchases total to Barclaycard, yes I have one of those too! I have nil balance on it but whenever I call to cancel they always offer me money lol. Last time I got £50. If I can get them to take it for nothing I may consider it. What are your thoughts on that? For now I will overpay my halifax until that £500 is cleared. I will leave nationwide at its min payment which is only £25. I am hoping to have that £500 cleared by May. Wishful thinking I know but let's see if I can achieve it. I just want to get started!!! I have £100 coming from a refer a friend to nationwide so will apply that first then anything left over just as I have been doing for the nationwide card. Thanks so much for your help!
    Total debt when starting Sept 2021 - £14,629.61 / Current debt - £13,398.73
  • You can call me EE if you want - it saves typing my whole name!!

Glad you called Halifax today - why put off until tomorrow what you can do today?? (maybe I ought to start following this!!)

Would Barclaycard offer you a 0% deal?
    What is the balance transfer fee?
    How much realistically are you likely to pay to the credit card each month?

If you are going to clear the Halifax purchases within the next few months then the interest you pay on that may be less than the transfer fee so might be better to leave it there.

What is the credit limit on Halifax?
    If you haven't cleared Nationwide by the end of the year then you could move that to Halifax if you have enough space - they are always offering 0% balance transfers.
  • Abz12
    So last night I counted the 2015 penny.....whatever jar and we have £30!! Who would have thought it. So I have asked a relative, who is known to collect them, and he will give us the cash so I don't have to lug them to the bank. Result!! Have to split with the OH cause he reckons this is all from him...yeah ok! As soon as we get this money I will transfer to the halifax card which means £15 overpayment to that terrible £511.05. I also have a sealed wine bottle, it was a present from the £ shop I think, and it has notes in but I just can't bring myself to open it as I have to break it! Might keep that for the dream trip to Thailand next year with the OH. He reckons there is about £50 but I doubt that.

Today was ok - I did set my alarm for 6 but just couldn't muster the enthusiasm to get out of bed an exercise. Dinner was homemade garlic chicken with rice for me and mash for the OH. This was with chicken that I already had in the freezer so guess what today was my first NSD of January 2016!! Made myself stay in during lunch and study so I could resist temptation with the sales etc.

Sold another item on eBay, have refunded the first, so that's another £5 to the fund. Only need to post tomorrow but buyer paid so not too bad and already brought the parcel bag on Saturday.

My two biggest bills; rent an my car payment came out today and if I stick to my budget I should have enough to make at least a payment of £200 to the halifax card. There are also some differences between actually paid an budgeted which I will group together and pay once they've all come out, around the 11th.

We placed the online shopping order last night from asda. Total £36.59 not bad including cat litter. OH insists that we only pay for the stuff we use so my share should come to £8.50, his come to £3.24 and to share is £24.85. Providing it all comes then my share is £20.93. Not bad for a couple of weeks shopping. I usually grab the meat from the local shop so am waiting on rent from OH before I buy this. Usually spend about £20 every two weeks.

EE it is then :-)...finally caught up on your diary an all I can say is WOW! My life is so boring in comparison but I can identify with some of the issues with OH. You have been through so much and I applaud your determination to hold it all together, I know I couldn't. I hope everything remains calm for 2016.

In response to your questions:
    Barclaycard has a limit of £5,500 with a nil balance at the minute.
    Nationwide has a limit of £3,200, 0% until end of the year but will check this as I think longer.
    Barclaycard have an offer at the moment where I can transfer £4,950 with a 2.9% transfer fee & paying 6.9% interest on the balance until paid. Offer ends on the 31/1/16. So based on my £511.05 I would pay a £14.82 fee. (Hopefully my maths is right!)

I plan to pay at least £150 a month plus any extras so this should take me around 3-4 months to get rid of. What are your thoughts? Personally I'm not sure it's worth BT especially if I can pay £200 off at the end of the month. That plus the min payment would mean I would be in the £200's an should be able to clear in Feb if that's the case. Isn't it amazing where you find money when you have too.

Found out when I came home that we have to move out for a week or so in Feb, so will have to pay to board the cats which will be at least £150! Plus need to find somewhere to stay!

Another day, another dollar as they say!
  • So 2 months interest on the Halifax card is equivalent to the balance transfer fee so if you are going to clear it in 3 - 4 months or even possibly 2 I am not sure it's worth transferring the money. Plus having to pay interest may spur you on to find the money even quicker.

I would keep Barclaycard clear ready just in case one of your 0% ends before you have paid the debt off.

Just my thoughts though!
  • Abz12
    Didn't manage to get up at 6 today either. Think I will just do the exercise after work an have the extra time in bed, love my sleep!

Checked my bank account again this morning an some more DD's have come out. I can now transfer; £10, 2p & £8.32 (these are the differences between the bills budgeted an paid!) £18.34 to go towards the halifax card plus the £15 from the money jar. It's not as easy to transfer money to the Halifax card as I have to send it by SO, will make them a regular payee so I can just transfer in the future.

EE I was thinking the same thing. Not worth the hassle for possibly no or very little saving. The fact that I have to pay to board the cats will set me back slightly, this could have gone towards the Halifax debt, so quite annoying. I received my statement alert today an for the first time I checked it, usually I just leave it and pay the minimum. This forum has defo made me pay more attention to the details. My expected interest for next month is £7, when do they calculate this I wonder. I was so stupid to put purchases on it!!!!

Managed to get the cats boarded for £120, not bad for 9 days but OH does not want to 1/2! Also, having trouble finding a place to stay for 9 days. It's a sad world when you can't rely on family!

Work was busy and I feel slightly drained. Shopping was delivered and the only thing that didn't come was 1 of my items for 98p. Plan to transfer my share plus half of the household share tomorrow. We use OHs cap 1 CC as he has no credit history. Using a MS idea and buying stuff and paying it off straight away. Fingers crossed when we get a mortgage he gets accepted.

Another NSD apart from 50p which I used to weigh myself. Still the same as last time so no loss to record and no gain to complain lol.

I also spoke to my friend who was supposed to be visiting this Friday but she's cancelled due to money issues herself. Kind of glad tbh as it means I won't be spending any money. Cooked dinner again today with the food I brought from tescos last week.

Anyway off to do some yoga. :-)
  • Abz12
    Today was really busy at work!!!! Love it but feels like a whirlwind!

Forgot to mention yesterday that I found a £ and 10p outside! I have put the £ in my holiday jar and 10p in our 2016 money jar.

Checked my account again an no more DD's have come out. By Monday they should have all been paid out of my December wage and I have another 2 weeks before I'm paid. Might pay half of what I was going to plus all the other extras to the Halifax card next Tuesday. This is for two reasons; firstly to stop me spending money I have allocated to the card and secondly; it's so addictive getting those totals down.

Spent £6.28 in asda as I completely forgot to put eggs on the order and another item didn't come, my only annoyance with shopping online! Managed to get some of the OHs deodorant for cheaper than usual in the reduced aisle, bargain. Didn't spend anything on lunch which I'm proud of, I hope this will reflect in my weight! :-)

Found out that OH has been given more hours even though he hasn't had the interview yet, that's tomorrow, so fingers crossed!! Extra money will defo go a long way with helping me reduce my debt.

Haven't filled up the car since December an still have quarter of a tank. The way petrol is going it will cost hardly anything to fill up.

Feeling positive an still motivated. No yoga or exercise today though - rest day.

Tomorrow I am out with work and have already budgeted to spend £3.70 on a ticket. My drinks an meal will be paid for by work so no expense there!

I must also update my signature...
  • Abz12
    Update 6/1/16
    Car - £1,476.24
    Nationwide - £1,297.15
    Halifax - £3,602.66
    Family - £150
    NSDs 1/5
  • Abz12
    Hello... Was out with work on Thursday night and officially fell off the wagon! Free wine always wins is the moral of that story. Was not in a fit state to write to my diary so decided to go to sleep!

Thank god it's The weekend!!!! How fast has this week gone... Been so busy at work feels like a whirlwind. Still focused and only money I spent on Thursday was for my train ticket £3.70 and Friday was some odds for dinner.

Friday morning I spent £2.80 on a breakfast sandwhich, hangover induced of course! So diet went out of the window. Cooked chicken pasta bake with cheese. Yum yum. Was planning on yoga an bed but ended up going out. Spent no money tho!

Money wise another DD has come out, another £1 to put towards the Halifax interest balance and I eventually paid £10.96 for my shopping share as the OH wanted a dominos in celebration of his extra hours, £24 paying half each. One more bill DD next week an then I'm free to make overpayments. Nothing planned in the next two weeks socially except for friends coming over to my house for dinner and my sisters bday present £30 set aside.

Have also found out that I have to travel for work at the end of the month so will get paid mileage at 45p, this is going straight to the card! I calculate it as £72.71, not bad for a day's work and I no I won't spend that much in petrol.

I'm not sure if anyone else feels the same way but I think the weekends are the hardest. Plus I have to buy a blow up bed so we have somewhere to sleep for 9 days at the start of the next month.

A day of revision and water for me. Have a good weekend
  • Abz12
    How quick does the weekend go?! I'm sure that two days in the week do not go this quick.

I have had a bit of a bad weekend spending wise.. Bought the extras from asda on Friday night, which came to £14.48, 1/2 of this is paid my the OH tho. Then £15 on curry and we needed milk, i withdrew £20 and put the left over £5 in the holiday jar that is sealed. Today I had to get cat food but it was 3 for £9 at the pet store and OH pays half. So far he owes me £10.74 - will put this all towards the card.

I really can't wait for the last bill now, I just want to make the extra payment before the usual money comes out. Depending on when the interest is calculated it might be reduced. I think I'm going to put £100 towards it extra. I know I have only done one NSD so far but I know myself that my bank is a lot healthier than it usually looks plus I haven't put anything on credit cards this month, so far.

I also agreed with a family member that we can go half on the blow up bed and so only paid £15, actually must remember OH owes me for that too lol.

Organised and ready for the week ahead..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport