The Top Easy Access Savings Discussion Area

Comments

• Mr._H_2
    Mr._H_2 Posts: 488 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    gfunk wrote: »
    When you upgrade to Vantage, do i need to speak to the b ank and state 'i want vantage on my account', or does it happen automatically when i fulfil the criteria? (pay in the 1 k, stay in credit etc).

To upgrade to Vantage, you have to specifically ask for it. This is very easy to do online. Lloyds' online service is one of the best (IMHO) so if you're not using this yet I'd recommend that you get it set up.
  • gfunk_2
    gfunk_2 Posts: 42 Forumite
    I am an active online bank user of the LloydsTsb and yes i have always found it pretty good to use. However when i tried to upgrade to Vantage it said i had to call the phone bank service number. I have done that and got through to an advisor who has put me onto vantage now (after the usual hard sell trying to get me to upgrade my account!).

Next to open the other accounts as suggested. Thanks again for your help.
    [STRIKE]£1658 Virgin Credit Card[/STRIKE]. [STRIKE]£6100 LloydsTSB loan[/STRIKE]. [STRIKE]£800 LloydsTSB Airmiles Duo + card.[/STRIKE]
  • Hi, i became a great auntie this time last year. For my great neice first birthday and christmas i would like to open up a savings account for her that i can add to on a regular basis. I want to remain the signatory on the account. Can anyone recommend a savings account or bank that will allow me to do this?

Ta muchly
  • lollylvr09
    lollylvr09 Posts: 6 Forumite
    edited 2 December 2010 at 1:46PM
    Just opened one of these Nationwide 'MySave' internet accounts with a good interest rate of 2.99%. Application process was simple and straightforward enough.
    My only gripe is that with this product the interest MUST be paid away to a nominated account each month.
    Am I being too picky or am I right in thinking that none of the banks are making life easy for savers?
    Attractive rates are being offered to get you're money in. You then have to monitor the account's & watch for the inevitable drop in yield some little while later. Now, this new (to me) 'device' of paying a good rate, but paying the cash earned away, thereby losing interest throughout the transfer period.... and if you bat the cash back to the account - to which, incidentally, Nationwide have no objection - again, interest is lost in the process of doing so!
    I saw no mention of Fast Payments being used in connection with this account.... but am happy to be corrected on the point.

It's almost harder work these days looking after and monitoring the welfare of your saved cash than it is to earn the stuff in the first place!
    Is anyone else feeling irked by these practises, or am I just having a particularly curmudgeonly day? :(:(:huh:
  • cornmurr
    cornmurr Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 4 December 2010 at 2:08AM
    Hi, please help.
    We have just sold our house and are in rented accomodation at the moment and have £222,000 to put away somewhere safe. We will need the money in possible 6 Months time. Where can I put it to get maximum returns but with minimum or no risk (Yes, I know, best of both worlds!!)
    Any advise would be really helpful. Is it a case of putting £85k in Post office, £85k in Santander and the rest in Nationwide?

Many thanks
    Steve
  • mooch
    mooch Posts: 154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    cornmurr wrote: »
    Hi, please help.
    We have just sold our house and are in rented accomodation at the moment and have £222,000 to put away somewhere safe. We will need the money in possible 6 Months time. Where can I put it to get maximum returns but with minimum or no risk (Yes, I know, best of both worlds!!)
    Any advise would be really helpful. Is it a case of putting £85k in Post office, £85k in Santander and the rest in Nationwide?

Many thanks
    Steve

Given that you'll need the money again in 6 months, I think instant access savings is your best option.

Remember though, you and your other half both have protection if you open individual acccounts, so you can both open a Post Office account and deposit £85k or whichever account is giving the best int rate. That's providing you trust your other half :D

Also don't forget Lloyds Vantage for 3x £7k x 2 = £42k and A&L current account at 5%.

Lastly, I'd check when you're opening accounts how easy it is to get the money out. Some banks have default withdrawal limits, only issue as cheque, postal only etc potentially causing trouble when you want to get all that money together again.
  • ahai1
    ahai1 Posts: 1,589 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi what do you think of the State Bank of India? http://www.sbiuk.com/deposits/instant-access-savings-account.aspx
  • Tried a few times this evening to check that money has transferred successfully to my new PO savings account.

What do I get each time , but this :

System down

We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties with our site

Please bear with us while we are trying to fix it as soon as possible. 'Alternatively if you would like to speak with someone now please call our customer service team. For savings call 0845 6023409** and for Credit Card call 0845 607 6500**.
    **Local call rates apply. Call costs may vary depending on your service provider.

Maybe not worth the hassle to get 2.9% if they can't run a stable website and then want to charge me for the privilege of calling them.
  • Steve_xx
    Steve_xx Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Tried a few times this evening to check that money has transferred successfully to my new PO savings account.

What do I get each time , but this :

System down

Please bear with us while we are trying to fix it as soon as possible. 'Alternatively if you would like to speak with someone now please call our customer service team. For savings call 0845 6023409** and for Credit Card call 0845 607 6500**.
    **Local call rates apply. Call costs may vary depending on your service provider.

Maybe not worth the hassle to get 2.9% if they can't run a stable website and then want to charge me for the privilege of calling them.
    At the end of the day they're not making you put your money with them. You have a choice.

Many banks have problems with internet access from time to time. They're certainly not unique in that respect.
  • ahai1
    ahai1 Posts: 1,589 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Try 0800 169 7500 for post office savings.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback