PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Recipes using pickled shallots please?

Options
Hello everyone,

Regular lurker on this board (love the recipes and tips I pick up here!)

I have a jar of pickled shallots in the cupboard and wondered if anyone has any recipes or ideas for using them. I know I can enjoy them whole or chopped as they are but I wondered if anyone has any inspiration for recipes or nice meals to enjoy them on/in/with, as I like onions within food but not really whole onions to just eat.

Any advice helped. I did have a quick search but couldn't find what I was looking for but please feel free to suggest any posts or merge if you think something may be of use.

Thanks!

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Anyone? :)
  • hoglet121
    hoglet121 Posts: 658 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I don't have a recipe to hand but I would chop them and put them in a cheese bread, think along the lines of cheddar, walnut and pickled onion. But then I do like to play around with recipes.

We put them in salads too
  • Fruball
    Fruball Posts: 5,739 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have heard that you can use them in recipes like coq au vin as the vinegar taste cooks out... on that principle, you can probably use them in most things with a strong flavour.

I have often wondered what else I can use them for too
  • cornishchick
    cornishchick Posts: 815 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Pickled onion gravy? Once , at work, we ran out of fresh onions. So another support worker rinsed off some picked ones and used them.. I was told it tasted lovely.....

Perhaps sliced and mixed with some cheese bits to put in cheese and onion bread?
    today's mood is brought to you by coffee, lack of sleep and idiots.

Living on my memories, making new ones.
    declutter 104/2020

November GC £96.09/£100.
    December GC £00.00/£100
  • crumblepie
    crumblepie Posts: 424 Forumite
    Options
    Make a cheap and cheerful tomato soup. I discovered the recipe last week and love it.

In a pan tin chopped tomatoes, tin of baked beans, tin of sliced carrots, and a couple of pickled onions, or in this case shallots and a dash of worcestershire sauce. Add stock cube/salt/pepper.

Blend it all together then heat up. It tastes just like heinz. I was a bit sceptical but it really does.
  • Fruball
    Fruball Posts: 5,739 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    crumblepie wrote: »
    Make a cheap and cheerful tomato soup. I discovered the recipe last week and love it.

In a pan tin chopped tomatoes, tin of baked beans, tin of sliced carrots, and a couple of pickled onions, or in this case shallots and a dash of worcestershire sauce. Add stock cube/salt/pepper.

Blend it all together then heat up. It tastes just like heinz. I was a bit sceptical but it really does.

ahh yes! this is a slimming world recipe and although i haven't made it, i am told it really is just like heinz!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    crumblepie wrote: »

Thanks a bunch for this - going to give it a go early next week and will let you know how I go! Have bookmarked this so I don't forget :)

Thanks to everyone who replied - I really appreciate it!
  • Billie-jo
    Billie-jo Posts: 1,221 Forumite
    Options
    I have The Good Table cookery book by Valentine Warner right beside me and there is a recipe for 'Pickled onion, steak & ale pudding' in it. Basically make a suet pastry and follow a good steak and ale pie adding 150 grams of baby pickled onions drained to it. Shallots would work just the same.
    MARCH £62.38/250
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport