Paid in Arrears!

Options
This is most likely a daft question. I am due to start a new job that pays monthly in arrears. I will start on Jan 5th and pay date is the last day of the month.

Does that mean I will be paid on 31st Jan for what I have worked in Jan...or will it be end of Feb before I receive a months pay

Thanks

Comments

• Stevie_Palimo
    Options
    Pretty much every job pays in arrears and if you start on Jan the 5th and then being paid depends on the Company in question - Most would require the full run ie:- work from the 5th till the 31st and then go onto the months payroll so you should be paid the following month, Why not simply just ask them how the pay works as while some will be end of Jan another Company may not pay until Feb run.
  • LittleVoice
    Options
    Pretty much every job pays in arrears and if you start on Jan the 5th and then being paid depends on the Company in question - Most would require the full run ie:- work from the 5th till the 31st and then go onto the months payroll so you should be paid the following month, Why not simply just ask them how the pay works as while some will be end of Jan another Company may not pay until Feb run.

In my experience (but maybe things have changed of late), most would pay at the end of January in this instance because, as long as the OP provides P45 and bank account details at the start of employment, they have plenty of time to sort out what payment is due. (In fact even the P45 isn't vital for this as long as the starter paperwork is completed.)
  • ruby_eskimo
    ruby_eskimo Posts: 4,528 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Some companies may pay you an advance of say 75% of the expected earnings for that period and then in your February pay you will be paid officially for January and February minus the advance. I would speak to their payroll team just to clarify what their policy is.
    Emergency Fund - £7992.62 / £10,000 :: Total Mortgage OP - £34,692
    LISA 24/25 - £0 / £4000 :: NSD 2024 - 13 / 180 :: Moving Fund: £838.83 :: Decluttering - 143 / 365
    Engaged 9th December 2010 :: Married 29th October 2015 :: Bought a House 13th January 2017
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,203 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Check with the company. I would expect you to be be paid on 31st January but not every company works that way. I know of one company in our field and in the same town which doesn't pay anything until the end of the first full pay period - one of our employees moved to work there, and didn't get any money for nearly 7 weeks due to that policy.

other companies may be willing to make a payment on account, even if they haven't got all of the paperwork in place.

If you ask and find out that there is going to be a long gap, the n you can talk to your bank ahead of time if you will need to arrange an overdraft or anything of that kind.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure