blue badge and police officers

dave030445
dave030445 Posts: 1,001 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
edited 12 December 2014 at 5:51PM in Disability money matters
Hi all
Can a police officer tell you to move when you are parked on a single yellow line. Displaying a BB within the correct time for Parking. And say if you don't move I will have your car removed even if it is a mobility car.

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,946 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Usually a local council will have their own rules for use of Blue Badges. However if the single yellow lines are because it's a loading bay then you can't use them for parking.
  • Our council don't allow blue badge holders to park in loading bays at all.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    dave030445 wrote: »
    Hi all
    Can a police officer tell you to move when you are parked on a single yellow line. within the correct time for loading. And say if you don't move I will have your car removed even if it is a mobility car.

How long had you been parked and how long did it take you to load your items .
  • dave030445
    This was not a loading bay it was a single yellow line and at certain times can be used for loading which is when BB holders can park for 3 hours.
  • dave030445
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    How long had you been parked and how long did it take you to load your items .

Load what items i was parked.
  • dave030445
    Our council don't allow blue badge holders to park in loading bays at all.

don't think any council allows BB parking in loading only bays
  • k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    Assuming you're causing an obstruction then yes (and bear in mind an obstruction can be someones opinion or as a result of a complaint)

Attitude of the driver also comes into consideration in situations like this
  • dave030445
    k3lvc wrote: »
    Assuming you're causing an obstruction then yes (and bear in mind an obstruction can be someones opinion or as a result of a complaint)

That's what he said i was causing an obstruction. But the council said i was not and I can park there.
  • dave030445
    k3lvc wrote: »

What do you mean?
  • k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    But the council are not responsible for the responsive law on traffic matters

As an example (and I'm not suggesting this happened but it's for context)

Police Officer is passing and notices traffic is queueing to get past a vehicle causing an 'obstruction' and the following conversation ensues

PC - You're causing an obstruction - would you mind moving your vehicle
    Driver - I've a Blue Badge and I can park here
    PC - but at this moment you're causing an obstruction and I'd like you to move please
    Driver - but Council have said I'm ok to park here
    PC - but right this minute in my opinion you are causing an obstruction - please either move your vehicle or I will arrange for it to be removed
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure