PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Spring has arrived! Laundry out on the line :)

Comments

• VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    adandem wrote: »
    We have a very open and South facing garden. I peg out virtually all year round as long as it's not raining. Even after half an hour you get that beautiful smell.
    Mine is east facing and dark half the time. How I long for a south facing garden....EAs know not to send me anythng facing north :D
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Mine is luckily South facing, but am avoiding pegging my kinky knicks out at the mo, as have builders next door .Have put the towels out today though :j
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,108
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Mine is east facing and dark half the time. How I long for a south facing garden....EAs know not to send me anythng facing north :D
    Mine is East facing too. Beautiful in the summer first thing in the morning when the sun is rising, but between 4pm-6pm the garden goes completely into shade. I have to take this into account when hanging washing out that it needs to be out on the line by a certain time, otherwise it won't dry.
  • kippers
    kippers Posts: 2,053
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I read on here once that if your path is drying in your garden then your washing will dry too and because of this I manage to hang my washing out all winter using this philosophy ....in winter it obviously doesn't dry completely but I don't need to tumble dry it for so long afterwards or I can get away with finishing it on the radiators
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,299
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    kippers wrote: »
    I read on here once that if your path is drying in your garden then your washing will dry too and because of this I manage to hang my washing out all winter using this philosophy ....in winter it obviously doesn't dry completely but I don't need to tumble dry it for so long afterwards or I can get away with finishing it on the radiators

That's a great tip. Unfortunately I don't have a path and at least half of the patio is in shade all year round.
    It's a lovely cool shady spot on a really warm day at the height of summer though :)
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • Spendless
    Forumite
    I love the path drying tip,:j I will definitely use that in future. I would never have tried line-drying so early as I have this year, if it hadn't been for that horrendous electricity bill. I've tried line drying from late October-Early March before without much success. It's flat where I live, so you don't get the blustery winds to dry the clothes instead, if there's not much sun.

Jackie- would you be able to tell if the ground is drying by looking at your patio, the part not in shade? Or by doing a touch test if you can't tell by looking. :)
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,299
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Spendless wrote: »
    Jackie- would you be able to tell if the ground is drying by looking at your patio, the part not in shade? Or by doing a touch test if you can't tell by looking. :)

A good idea, but the patio only ever dries where/when the sun gets on it, and that only really happens in the height of summer.

The washing line is towards the top of the garden because the sun reaches that end first, it's usually another few weeks at least for the sun to get high enough in the sky to reach the patio.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • CathA
    CathA Posts: 1,207
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    candygirl wrote: »
    Mine is luckily South facing, but am avoiding pegging my kinky knicks out at the mo, as have builders next door .Have put the towels out today though :j

When we had builders in last year (and they turned up around 7.30-8 every day!) it was a race to get the washing in the back garden before they started (they were building by the back door). Many a time I had the airer, complete with my knickers, blowing in the front garden!

I have put my washing out every day over the winter. I have a greenhouse (which leaks unfortunately) but can position the airer so it misses most of the drips.

Alternatively, I have a plastic 'tomato growing house' thingy from Poundstretchers. Sometimes I put the airer in there, zip it up and watch it steam! Surprising how dry it gets with a bit of air through it. Even when it's frosty, out it goes, even if I have to unsnap the washing from the airer when it comes in.

I was told years ago that if your path/patch of concrete was dry the washing will dry. That's how I decide if it's going into one of the shelters or outside. Or if it's actually raining, that is!
  • Spendless
    Forumite
    I wasn't happy earlier when it started raining just before my WM had finished.:mad: But I noticed the sun is back out, checked the path and it's drying :j so have now hung my load out.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,903
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    All out on the line this morning & wham. Freshly sluiced with rain!
    Ah well, nice to peg out to church bells & glad I got it all back in before the thunder & hail.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure