PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

slow cooker quick questions thread

Options

Comments

• Different_Corner
    Options
    I'm really falling out of love with my SC now, I've tried chicken casseroles, meatballs, (both ended up dry in texture) various cuts of beef, particularly shin and skirt and I'm finding that whatever red meat I use it always tastes the same no matter what recipe I use.

As much as I love the idea of chiucking it all in before work and not having the evening hassle I'm just not enjoying the food :(

Ok replying to my own post !
    I think I've had a success ! Put shin of beef with various root veg in, loosely followed a JO recipe which indicated coating in seasoned flour and browning beef first. I also browned the onions, leeks and garlic. Deglazed pan with a glass of red wine. All in by 10am on med.

However I usually put it on low and have always had way to much watery liquid, it was tasted at 1pm - then came my negative post - the liquid was thicker though.

By 7pm it was very good. I think I expected too much from the low setting. Adding the flour and a lot less liquid has def improved results. Next time I shall miss out the generic mixed herbs which seem to over power and give a def sausage flavour !
    DC.
    "Some people walk in the rain... others just get wet... " - Roger Miller
  • pollywollydoodle_2
    Options
    Smjo wrote: »
    Sounds like a plan - but just worried about reheating it - is this safe - no chef and would not like to posion other family members!!

No you won't poison anyone by doing it that way as it is going to be cooked thoroughly the day after. Anyone wanting to set their food off early in the morning can always prep things the night before, including chopping the veg etc
  • pollywollydoodle_2
    Options
    zippychick wrote: »
    possibly a silly question, but when making soup how does the liquid water ratio go compared to normal soup? just the same quantity?

I tend to use the same quantity but bear in mind it won't evaporate as much as cooking on the stove. You could always reduce the amount at first and add more at the end if you think it needs it
  • skipkoo
    skipkoo Posts: 140 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Hi Everyone
    I am after a bit of advice if anyone can spare me a minute. Just ordered my new slowcooker, to be picked up tomorrow. I have ordered a MR 6.5 litre one as lots of people say it is very good. In theory I hope to be cooking enough for for us to eat for one meal and then freezing enough for another meal. What I am wondering is what if I dont cook a whole pot full, if the slow cooker is only half full of ingredients? Will it affect the cooking time or anything else?? Hope this isnt too stupid a question and I will be very grateful for any advice.
    S

Sorry, I have just posted this on the 'In my slow cooker today' thread by mistake.
  • nic2075
    nic2075 Posts: 3,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    skipkoo wrote: »
    Hi Everyone
    I am after a bit of advice if anyone can spare me a minute. Just ordered my new slowcooker, to be picked up tomorrow. I have ordered a MR 6.5 litre one as lots of people say it is very good. In theory I hope to be cooking enough for for us to eat for one meal and then freezing enough for another meal. What I am wondering is what if I dont cook a whole pot full, if the slow cooker is only half full of ingredients? Will it affect the cooking time or anything else?? Hope this isnt too stupid a question and I will be very grateful for any advice.
    S

Sorry, I have just posted this on the 'In my slow cooker today' thread by mistake.

Hi I have the MR 6.5 litre and usually only have it just over half full and I find the cooking times the same as when theres more in it. Hope you love your SC as much as we all do.
    :santa2::xmastree::santa2:
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    ANother possibly silly question.

Im cooking tagine today. Would i put the apricots in whole or chop? Im not sure how much they would disintegrate in the Sc.

Thanks for the soup answer! It worked ok but some water had evaporated so i just added some stock this morning and its grand. Think the coriander was a mistake but its still nice and i will eat it all! Waste not want not.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• annie-c
    annie-c Posts: 2,542 Forumite
    Options
    Long slow cooking makes most veg and fruit go mushier than hob cooking but it's entirely a personal taste thing. hop them as small as you want to eat them:)
  • skipkoo
    skipkoo Posts: 140 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    nic2075 wrote: »
    Hi I have the MR 6.5 litre and usually only have it just over half full and I find the cooking times the same as when theres more in it. Hope you love your SC as much as we all do.

Thanks Nic, just what I wanted to hear :D Got any good tips for this slow cooker? Anything that works really well? I am half-way to being a fan of it already and it is still in the Argos shop waiting for me to pick it up tomorrow. OH has already asked what we are having for supper tomorrow :eek:
    S
  • champys
    champys Posts: 1,101 Forumite
    Options
    skipkoo wrote: »
    Thanks Nic, just what I wanted to hear :D Got any good tips for this slow cooker? Anything that works really well? I am half-way to being a fan of it already and it is still in the Argos shop waiting for me to pick it up tomorrow. OH has already asked what we are having for supper tomorrow :eek:
    S

I also have a 6.5l which is really too big for us, but I ran into it at Aldi and the price was too good not to buy it! So far I have not even managed to get it more than just over half full, and it seems to work fine - and the freezer is full as a result of the generous quantities. However somebody earlier in this thread (think it was this one?) mentioned how she puts something like a veggie meatloaf in a smaller dish in the slow-cooker, fills it with water till half-way up the dish and then surrounds it by chunks of potato. This sounds like a great idea to me, and I can think of many variations on this theme...... Will try out soon.
    "Remember that many of the things you have now you could once only dream of" - Epicurus
  • bluetimone97
    Options
    I wonder if anyone can help me, when using my slow cooker with exactly the same recipes as I would in the oven, sometimes (more so with beef/sausages) the sauce is quite oily when it was not that way using the oven. I have been frying the meat off before putting it in the slow cooker but it doesn't seem to help.
    Real men never follow instructions; after all they are just the manufacturer's opinion on how to put something together. :p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure