Glass in tin of salmon

Options
I opened a tin of Princes salmon earlier and as I drained the liquid off I found a shard of glass sitting on top of the fish.

After my initial disappointment as I was looking forward to to it, I decided to call Princes' customer care. A recorded voice informed me that they only take calls weekdays.

After some searching I found the receipt as I always bung them in my wallet. I had bought it in B&M on the 18th.

I thought I would call B&M to warn them to remove the remaining tins from the shelves. Same again, switchboard closed.

I've bagged the still tinned salmon and put it in the bottom of the fridge. I expect that customer care will not be open on Monday so Tuesday will be the earliest that I will talk to someone.

Anyway, be vigilant when opening any salmon. It's put me right off.

Comments

• peewhyeff
    peewhyeff Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    If you post the BBE date, batch number, and any other code marks it might at least make mse users more aware.
  • quoia
    quoia Posts: 14,435 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You need to confirm that this is definitely glass.

I'm 99.999%+ certain that it isn't.

I believe what you have found is STRUVITE
    (Magnesium Ammonium Phosphate)

This is quite frequently found in tinned salmon. (also tuna, crab and shrimp)

The elements, Magnesium & Phosphorus, that occur naturally, especially in fish, together with Nitrogen & Oxygen & Hydrogen (Air & Water) sometimes crystallise during the canning process and can very easily be mistaken for glass.
    It is perfectly safe to eat and will be digested as normal.

If you put your "piece of glass" into HOT VINEGAR I bet it will dissolve and vanish - proof that it's NOT glass.

If by some remote chance that it is glass then you should go straight to Trading Standards / Environmental Health, who for serious issues (like this?) should be contactable before Tuesday when the Bank Holiday is over.

If it is STRUVITE as I suspect, then the manufacturer would probably be grateful to be made aware of at least the batch number.
    The retailer might be interested but rather less so.

QUOTING > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Struvite

"Struvite is occasionally found in canned seafood, where its appearance is that of small glass slivers, objectionable to consumers for aesthetic reasons but of no health consequence."
    There are 10 types of people in the world. ‹(•¿•)›
    ‹(•¿•)› Those that understand binary and those that do not!

Veni, Vidi, VISA ! ................. I came, I saw, I PURCHASED
    (11)A104.28S94.98O112.46N86.73D101.02(12)J130.63F126.76M134.38A200.98M156.30J95.56J102.85A175.93
    S LOWER CASE OMEGA;6.59 so far ..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport