PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Recipe Collection Thread (recipe board)

Comments

• AussieLass
    AussieLass Posts: 4,066 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Pastry: 1 cup Plain flour, rub in 3 tablespoons butter, then add 2 teaspoons brown vinegar & 1 tablespoon milk. Roll out and line a generous pie plate with pastry.

Filling: 1 grated carrot, 1 grated apple, 1 grated onion, 1 grated potato, 1 teaspoon mixed herbs, 2 teaspoons curry powder, 1 tablespoon sugar, 1 cup or more of finely chopped up cooked roast/of any sort.

Combine ingredients and place in pastry. Sprinkle breadcrumbs on top and dot with butter. Bake in moderate oven 40 - 45 mins.

NB: This is good to use with any roast meat that you have for leftovers. I've made it with pork, lamb & beef and it's tasted nice. I have used frozen pastry before if I'm stuck for time. The recipe says it makes two pies but mine never does but I make the pastry & freeze half for another time.
    Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia. ;)

• Broccoli and Apple Soup

Broccoli - 1 large head
    Dessert apples - 2 peeled, cored and chopped
    Butter - 50 g (2 oz)
    Red onion - 1 chopped
    Vegetable stock - 750 ml (1 pint),
    Pepper to taste
    Double cream - 90 ml (3 fl oz) - optional

1. Discard the tough stem from the broccoli and coarsely chop.
    2. Melt butter, add the onion and apples, cover and cook for 10 minutes.
    3. Add the stock and broccoli.
    4. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
    5. Purée the soup (stick blender in pan is easiest)
    6. Add pepper and cream.
    7. Serve with croutons or fresh crusty bread!

It's very yummy :D

PS you might want to do a taste test before adding the cream, as I actually prefer it without cream in, and so does DS, but it's fine either way :)
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• pol
    pol Posts: 643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Tomato and Lentil Soup

2 carrots, chopped
    1 onion, chopped
    3-4 oz red lentils
    small leek, chopped (optional)
    2 apples, peeled, cored and chopped
    2 tins tomatoes
    good squirt of tomato puree
    dash worcestershire sauce
    1 1/2 pints vegetable stock

Cook lentils, carrots, leek and onion in the stock, add everything else and simmer for 15 mins. Season to taste with mixed herbs and pepper.
    Whizz with a blender and that's it! It makes about 5-6 good portions. You could bulk it out with red peppers too. I use it as a soup, and boil it down for the base of bolognese sauce too.

pol
    37 mrstwins squares, 6 little bags, 16 RWB squares, 1 ladies cardi, 4 boobs, 20 baby hats, 4 xmas stockings, 1 scarf, 4 prs wristwarmers
  • Festive Ice-Cream

Ingredients:
    400g mascarpone
    200g icing sugar
    4 egg yolks, beaten until pale
    125 mls Cointreau
    250 gms Christmas plum pudding
    1 vanilla pod, seeds scraped out

Method:
    1 Mix the mascarpone, icing sugar, vanilla seeds and beaten egg yolks together thoroughly, and then whisk in the cointreau.

2 When the mixture is smooth, gently stir in the crumbled plum pudding. Pour into a plastic tub and freeze for a minimum of 2 hours.

3 Serve garnished with another splash of cointreau.
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• deeds
    deeds Posts: 400 Forumite
    This is a recipe great for the Foreman grill.

Couple of Turkey steaks
    Tablespoon Oregano
    4 Tbs Olive Oil
    4 Tbs lemon juice
    2 cloves garlic

Mix oregano, lemon juice, olive oil and garlic add a twist of black pepper, chuck in the turkey steaks and make sure they are well copvered with the mixture, marinade in the fridge for minimum 1 hour.

Heat your foreman grill and put the steaks on it making sure the remaining marinade is poured over, cook for above 5 minutes (or until done) et voila!

( I usually use both of my foreman grease catcher trays, I use one to collect the juice, then slide it out put the clean one under and pour the juice over the steaks whilst they are cooking, it keeps them nice and moist and covered in the marinade! Theres very little if any fat comes out of the turkey anyway)
    Just because you are offended, doesn't mean you are right
  • Can't remember where I found this one. It's a real MSE recipe though... :p

Very very cheap vanilla ice cream (Tesco's basic, something like that) You want the sort that DOESN'T say dairy ice cream.
    For each litre of ice cream, half a pint of cream (which you have just bought reduced, at the end of the day)
    2 dessert spoons of black treacle
    A handful of pecan or walnut halves

Leave the ice cream out of the fridge for about an hour (winter) or keep watching it (summer) until you can stir the other ingredients in with a great deal of effort. Don't let it get too runny. (Please note that you are not meant to melt and then re-freeze dairy things. But you didn't buy dairy ice cream, did you? YOU got the really cheap stuff, like I said!) Do that, stir really well, and re-freeze.

Have a dinner party and serve your expensive home-made ice-cream. If you like, you can pour more cream on top _party_
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • Can be made in a slow cooker or on top of the cooker in a pot.

Serves 4

Ingredients

1 1/2 lbs lamb stew meat (I'm making this tonight but using beef pieces)
    1 onion chopped
    1 celery stalk sliced thinly
    1 clove garlic, pressed
    1 can diced tomatoes
    1/3 cup chicken stock
    1/3 cup raisins
    2 tablespoons tomato puree
    1/4 teaspoon turmeric
    1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes or chilli powder
    1/4 teaspoon pepper

Method

For slow cookers, combine all ingredients and cook on High for 4 - 5 hours, low 8 - 10 hours

For cooking in a pot,
    soften onion and garlic together, add meat and brown off, then put in rest of ingredients. Cook on a low heat for approx 2 hours until juices thicken and meat is tender.

Serve with saffron cous cous.
  • Ingredients

Cous Cous
    Water
    Saffron
    small knob of butter

Method

Measure out cous cous as per packet instructions. When dry add a good pinch of saffron. Add water or stock to cous cous and follow packet instructions for standing times etc. Just before serving cous cous, add a small knob of butter and stir through for a rich taste. Can be served with many dishes including Morrocan Lamb Stew.
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 15,197 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Paprika Chicken

4 chicken breasts
    1/2 pt dry sherry
    1/2 pt water
    12floz double cream
    2 tsp crushed garlic
    1 tsp paprika
    1 small block of mature cheddar cheese (grated)
    Salt and pepper

Boil the chicken breasts in the water and sherry for 1/2 hour until tender
    In a large bowl mix all the remaining ingredients.
    Remove the chicken and put into an oven proof dish. (if time permits reduce the juice and place on top of the chicken)
    When nearly ready to serve place sauce over the chicken and place under a slow grill until mix is brown and bubbling
    Serve immediatley
    enjoy xx
  • Crusty Chicken Casserole

enough cooked chicken (cut up)
    1 onion
    2 shallots
    1 stick celery
    3 rashers bacon
    5 - 6 mushrooms
    440g can cream of chicken soup
    300g carton sour cream
    CHEESE BATTER
    1 cup SR flour
    1/2 red capsicum
    2 eggs
    1 cup grated cheese
    1/2 cup milk

Place chopped onion, shallots, celery, bacon & mushrooms in microwave dish with a drizzle of water & cook 3 mins on high.
    Drain & add soup, sour cream & chicken. Pour into greased ovenproof dish. Spread cheese batter over top, bake uncovered in moderate oven for 45 mins.
    Batter: Sift flour into bowl, add diced cpasicum, lightly beaten eggs, cheese & milk: mix until just blended.

I threw in some leeks as well & a bit of capsicum in the chicken part. Really yummy.
    Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia. ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure