Positive Balance: Focused on Budgeting

Comments

• PositiveBalance
    PositiveBalance Posts: 1,268 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 1 February 2018 at 12:50AM
    Ambitious target. Good luck in paying the card off this year. I always find guests throw my budgets too.

Thanks ES! :beer:

Honestly, I should have been SO rich this month (comparatively speaking) but I haven't been. I've stocked up on lots of things that will save me money throughout the year but still..._pale_

I've not been descriptive enough. My minimum payment on my CC is approx. £110 but will naturally go down a little each month. I'm planning on saving the difference between that and £452.52 each month (although I will make an additional £1.00 payment on top of the min. payment so it looks like I am paying more on than the minimum on my credit file.)
    Debt: £11,640.02 paid in full! DFD: 30/06/20
    Starter Emergency Fund (#187): £1000/£1000
    3 month Emergency Fund (#45): £3300/£3300
  • Back again...

...so my mortgage, water and union fees have gone out today.

I tried to make a £1 extra payment on my CC but it is still pending authorisation, apparently. Strange.

I missed my exercise class this week so that's £6.50 put in the CC pot.

£65.00 spent on bust pass for the month plus £7.00 for a day pass to get me to the start of the month. This takes me over my monthly budgeted amount already. Grr.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    well done on putting the money saved from missing exercise class into cc pot rather than spending. Aren’t you still within your travel budget? £72 spent and £74.10 budgeted?

Why do you need a month pass and a day pass?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • well done on putting the money saved from missing exercise class into cc pot rather than spending. Aren’t you still within your travel budget? £72 spent and £74.10 budgeted?

Why do you need a month pass and a day pass?

Hi ES :wave:

I was very tired last night and not doing the sums properly. Essentially, it WILL take me over the budget although it has yet to do so cos the remainder of the budget was for the odd random tram fare I have to take.

Bus passes where I live are 28 days. If you buy a 28 day one it works out as £7 cheaper than buying the weekly version. I paid the £7 so that I could buy the 28 day pass on the first of the month so I don't have to buy the next before I get paid next. This will only work this month as it is a perfect 28 day month so I'm going to have to figure out a cycle for this. Or get my bike out once the weather improves a bit! :D

I forgot to mention that I need to get a new passport this month and therefore passport pics and pay entrance for a charity even I will be doing in a few months. Due to some good luck it will cost me less than expected.

I"m about to get off the bus to work so I'll update that later, along with everything that has vanished from my account these past two days. :(

Bills, bills, bills to quote Destiny's Child. :rotfl:
  • Hello. Quite a lot has happened since I updated last. I keep meaning to update my diary but I always leave it until the night and find myself falling asleep! !!!55357;!!!56884;

I'll be back short with a proper update (hopeful tonight) so I can fill all my spending and update my budget as it looks as though I was a bit inaccurate with some bills.

My updates have been irregular but my light bulb is still burning bright so I. Am. Not. Giving. This. Diary. Up. (Even if I don't fill it in daily like some people do, those good students of finance!)
  • PositiveBalance
    edited 7 February 2018 at 1:23AM
    So here I am, promised!

It turns out that I was out with a few of my figures...

Budget:

Mortgage: [STRIKE]£268[/STRIKE] (nearest whole figure) £263.10. Will be £267ish from next month. Random.
    Council Tax: zero (all this month and all next month :D)
    Water: £27.90
    Gas & Electric: £50.00 (was less but just upped DD cos winter)
    Food: £200.00 (guestimate)
    T'interweb & landline: [STRIKE]£39.50[/STRIKE] £40.99 This seems to have snuck up. Again. Au revoir, sneaky provider!
    Mobile: [STRIKE]£10.50[/STRIKE] £20.47 WTAF! Think you'll be following the sneaky broadband peeps! :eek:
    Public transport: £74.10 (hmm...going to be more)
    CC min: £109.97
    Union @ work: [STRIKE]£8.87[/STRIKE] £8.96 annual increase applied ruthlessly
    Xrcise class: £27.00 (missed 1 - £6.50 - so have put in savings)
    Clothes*: £50.00
    Holidays*: £50.00
    Presents*: £50.00
    Fun*: £50.00
    Prescriptions*: £8.60 (none this month so sent to savings)
    Parental expenses: [STRIKE]£50.00[/STRIKE] £400.00. Blown out of the water. Wasn't expecting it to be this soon.
    Moggy flea treatment: £4.00 (totally forgot to factor this in)
    Total: [STRIKE]£1074.44[/STRIKE] £1432.09
    Difference between base pay and this month's expenses: [STRIKE]£181.39[/STRIKE] £65.87 (excluding Council Tax)

What a difference a few days makes!

Right, so the mobile phone bill is huge in comparison to normal. I know I snuck over on data a tiny bit at the end of last month, but that seems extreme, even for that. I've been planning on getting a new monthly deal for a while as I'm only just keeping to my 1GB data allowance, but I could get unlimited EVERYTHING for that kind of money, so I think changing just rocketed up my list of priorities.

Same with t'internet and landline: I need to have a high number of minutes calling abroad which limits the number of deals I can get, but I've had enough of this provider and how they sneak price increases in a very underhand way. You are also on my sh*t list.

Parental expense: I was hoping this wouldn't come so early in the year but I should have realised that it probably would, so I think it's fair to say that this particular part of the budget has been well and truly overshot. Thank God I have the money there when I needed it!

I've just created a 2 page spreadsheet to keep my spending accurate and up-to-date and even a few days into the month I have managed to lose some receipts (I think!) and rack up more of a food bill than I had hoped!

I won't bore you with any more in this post as it would be far too long but I will come back to it again shortly.

Before I go:

Credit card: [STRIKE]£4999.67[/STRIKE] £4886.20
    Mortgage: [STRIKE]£74,100[/STRIKE] £73955.82
  • From reading another person's diary I have just realised that you can fix the CC DD to take a fixed amount each month. I didn't know that - what a revelation! I've now fixed mine to £110pcm meaning that it streamlines the repayment process making it easier to budget and I don't have to worry about paying the extra £1 overpayment each month to make it look like I'm overpaying on my credit file. Result!

I've also realised I haven't included my works lottery at £10.00 every 5 weeks in my budget or my monthly savings for my house building and contents insurance, so I'll have to do them when I get home from work.

Ciao for now!
  • Yesterday's spends £6.50 for my exercise class.

More updates to make but typing on my phone so I will wait til I get to my laptop else the number of typos will be horrendous! :eek:
  • WannabeFree
    WannabeFree Posts: 4,438 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Are you in contract for your phone?

I totally recommend Giffgaff if not. I swapped once my contract ended and I usually do the £7.50 a month one but when I go away etc I change upwards for more data. I like you can change which 'package' when ever you want.

Worth calling the broadband provider and haggling a better deal?

x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the way.”
  • PositiveBalance
    Hi Wanabee,

I started replying to this message so many times but kept getting pulled away every time I did. That's not a bad idea. I have looked at several SIM-only deals over the month but not quite got round to sorting it our properly, so perhaps this had better go back to the top of my To Do list.

The same for my landline and broadband as my provider is apparently putting up prices next month. And I think my fixed rate on my gas and electricity comes to an end this month as well.

Oh dear - I'm going to be very busy! :rotfl:

Thanks for the advice and I'm glad to see you are doing so well over on your thread. x
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family