DMP Mutual Support Thread - Part 12

Comments

• vaper
    vaper Posts: 105 Forumite
    Me too!
    I almost jumped in too soon with a DMP, I was in panic mode then I read this forum and found some sense.
    I have since decided to go self managed but first managed to build up a substantial emergency fund and some things for the home we were desperate for.
    I know some people may not agree with this when there are debts to pay but, errrrm, TUFF!
    I'm doing what works for me.
    Don't put menthol vape juice in your eyes!!!
  • vaper wrote: »
    Me too!
    I almost jumped in too soon with a DMP, I was in panic mode then I read this forum and found some sense.
    I have since decided to go self managed but first managed to build up a substantial emergency fund and some things for the home we were desperate for.
    I know some people may not agree with this when there are debts to pay but, errrrm, TUFF!
    I'm doing what works for me.

I totally agree with your decision, vaper:T.. Good luck to you:beer:

Some of us are in a DMP for the long haul and real life can't be totally sacrificed in the pursuit of clearing all the debt (which was probably amassed over many years anyway) in the fastest possible time. There needs to be a balance for our sanity's sake.
  • vaper
    edited 4 August 2017 at 11:47AM
    Yeah actually, the more time goes on, the more bitter I become towards the lenders. I've been looking through old emails and realised when my light bulb moment was, it must have been on the 21st February, hubby had an email from capital one saying if he carried on paying the minimum amount of £202.00 per month it would take............................... 35 years and 8 months to pay off, or he could just pay £557.00 and be done in one year and six months
    Really!!!!!!!!! If we had that sort of money spare we wouldn't have been using the card for balance transfers just to pay other bills each month which they must have been aware of!
    i think they realised that he will probably be dead by then so the email was just a nudge to get things moving faster, well it's moving much faster now. Well for us anyway down the £1 a month route (which, by the way I haven't even started yet).
  • Well, after my satisfaction that I was in calmer waters with Link I received letters telling me that the agreed payment had not been received for the 2 accounts they hold:mad:.

They certainly have received 2 monthly payments of £1 token amount for each account by Standing Order. Both have definitely been paid and received by them. The quibble is probably because this isn't the 'regular pre-token amount. I have written to them 3 times now (6 in total over the 2 accounts:() sent by 'signed for' post. These letters detailed my intention of dropping to tokens and the reason. Against my better judgement (as the advice I received from various sources was not to bother doing it) I even sent amended I&Es to take account of the dropped payments. None of these have been acknowledged so I don't feel I've done anything to worry about.

I can't see why they can't accept the idea of token payments, everyone seems to be doing it;). The letters that came today are not just computer-generated rubbish, they each detailed my current balance within the text. I'm just going to ignore them for now. Am I doing right?
  • vaper
    edited 4 August 2017 at 12:08PM
    Well, after my satisfaction that I was in calmer waters with Link I received letters telling me that the agreed payment had not been received for the 2 accounts they hold:mad:.

They certainly have received 2 monthly payments of £1 token amount for each account by Standing Order. Both have definitely been paid and received by them. The quibble is probably because this isn't the 'regular pre-token amount. I have written to them 3 times now (6 in total over the 2 accounts:() sent by 'signed for' post. These letters detailed my intention of dropping to tokens and the reason. Against my better judgement (as the advice I received from various sources was not to bother doing it) I even sent amended I&Es to take account of the dropped payments. None of these have been acknowledged so I don't feel I've done anything to worry about.

I can't see why they can't accept the idea of token payments, everyone seems to be doing it;). The letters that came today are not just computer-generated rubbish, they each detailed my current balance within the text. I'm just going to ignore them for now. Am I doing right?
    Yes absolutely.
    They are choosing to ignore you, so do the same back. I don't think it really matters what you say or how often you say it, their plan is to stick to their plan, no matter what, they will try scare tactics, threats etc just to get the money out of you.
    I've decided not to worry now until I feel a real threat of court action or similar and by then I will have enough for either settlement offers, payment plans or some may be unenforceable (still working on that one).
    Don't worry, just carry on as you are Carboot.
  • vaper wrote: »
    Yes absolutely.
    They are choosing to ignore you, so do the same back. I don't think it really matters what you say or how often you say it, their plan is to stick to their plan, no matter what, they will try scare tactics, threats etc just to get the money out of you.
    I've decided not to worry now until I feel a real threat of court action or similar and by then I will have enough for either settlement offers, payment plans or some may be unenforceable (still working on that one).
    Don't worry, just carry one as you are Carboot.

Thank you:A

What's even more galling is that one of these accounts is definitely unenforceable (they even wrote and told me so and I definitely have written proof). They are fortunate to be getting even £1;)
  • vaper
    Thank you:A

What's even more galling is that one of these accounts is definitely unenforceable (they even wrote and told me so and I definitely have written proof). They are fortunate to be getting even £1;)
    I wouldn't even bother with the £1 then, you can do more with it than they can, fancy a coffee???:rotfl:
  • StopIt
    StopIt Posts: 1,470 Forumite
    Well, after my satisfaction that I was in calmer waters with Link I received letters telling me that the agreed payment had not been received for the 2 accounts they hold:mad:.

Yep, ignore them unless if you receive anything other than them acknowledging the token payments in a roundabout way. After all, to notice that your balance is only falling a tiny amount, is realising that you've sent lower payments.

If they send anything threatening before you're ready to move away from token payments, remind them that you informed them of this repeatedly and that if there was any problem with this they had plenty of time to let you know.

Until then, file under "meh".

Edit: One of them is unenforceable? Write to them telling them it's either £1 or nothing until they come up with an acceptable (Read: tiny) F&F as they know they can't do a darned thing about that one.

In debt and looking for help? Look here for the MSE Debt Help Guide.
    Also, If you need any free and impartial debt advice, the National Debtline, Stepchange, and the CAB can help.
  • Suseka97
    Suseka97 Posts: 1,562 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Well, after my satisfaction that I was in calmer waters with Link I received letters telling me that the agreed payment had not been received for the 2 accounts they hold:mad:. .....I have written to them 3 times now (6 in total over the 2 accounts:() sent by 'signed for' post.....so I don't feel I've done anything to worry about.

Yep, as with StopIt I agree you should now just ignore them -as they are you. Carry on with tokens until you're ready to do different or if they start to escalate their threats. From what I've read on here (and my own experience of them seemingly ignoring my CCA requests) they are not very good at this DCA malarky :D PRA on the other hand responded very quickly and very professionally to the CCA's I sent and I'm yet to hear the outcome of their searches. LINK just don't seem to have their act together and there's definitely a bit of 'right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing' about them.

So, you've done all you can and personally I think it's good to send the token payments because by doing so -and the fact you can prove those payments - would indicate to anyone that you have remained in contact and are not ignoring the debt.
  • Hi carbootcrazy

If one of your debts are unenforceable I think you should not be paying it not even £1 as it will never become statue barred , I am currently doing it with 4 of my creditors, I am only concentrating on the ones who have the proper paper work, if the other 4 find the correct paper work then I will pay them.:T

Max
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport