TV -DH purchase £569
    M&S Loan £7755.52
    Bicycle finance £75

Total debt as of 29th September - £32322.28
    Total debt as of 8th October - £32284.78
    Total Debt as of 13th October - £32113.65

Total cleared since 1st October - £207.63

Emergency Fund total - £665/£1000

Hoping for an Ebay weekend to try and hit one of my monthly goals.
    Got paid today which was better than expected as managed to squeeze some of the overtime I've done recently into this pay. So I feel my emergency fund target is achievable now.

Life is still hectic. Don't actually have any leave booked til next year now so will probably feel like this for a few months :( does mean my updates can be a bit sparce.

But we're being good. Focusing our minds, paying off debt and not feeling like we're missing out. I'm particularly proud of our emergency fund achievement. We've never been able to save, other than when I've been pregnant and saving for mat leave. We probably won't stop at £1000. We have loads of house projects to sort such as the kitchen, garden and bathroom. I think we'll carry on saving and pay for these jobs outright. We want to sell up and move in around 3 years so we want the house to be as sellable as possible.

Really in such a happy place at the moment as things move into the right direction :D

MB
    My LBM May 2017, DH LBM July 2017- Total Debt (not Including Mortgage) £46444.23 :eek:
    £40773.61 /£46444.23 87.8% paid
  • Pleased you are feeling so positive MB.

With regards to your pay today, is that money you will spend this month or does it get put aside until November?

Wish.
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • Pleased you are feeling so positive MB.

With regards to your pay today, is that money you will spend this month or does it get put aside until November?

Wish.

For the last 10 years I've been paid around the 15th of every month so my financial month has always been the last two weeks of a month and the first two of the next. It's always meant pretty much all bills come out in the last two week of each month.

MB
    My LBM May 2017, DH LBM July 2017- Total Debt (not Including Mortgage) £46444.23 :eek:
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,566 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Good to see you keeping on track with the debt busting. That list of debts looks so much shorter :)

Emergency fund making good progress too and brilliant month in September. Am keeping fingers crossed for you to get below £30k by end of year. Then hopefully you will just be 2 years off your DFD. Do you still do your savings pots for annual expenses? It may be worthwhile also putting money aside for car, Xmas and holiday.

You will be able to do loads to your house when debt gone with that £12k per annum or more you are having to use to repay debt.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • You're doing really well Mummy_bear x
  • Good to see you keeping on track with the debt busting. That list of debts looks so much shorter :)

Emergency fund making good progress too and brilliant month in September. Am keeping fingers crossed for you to get below £30k by end of year. Then hopefully you will just be 2 years off your DFD. Do you still do your savings pots for annual expenses? It may be worthwhile also putting money aside for car, Xmas and holiday.

You will be able to do loads to your house when debt gone with that £12k per annum or more you are having to use to repay debt.

Xmas has been the one thing I've always saved for. £40 a month gets put away for that. I really only have a couple of presents left to get and Xmas is sorted. Been very organised this year.

We have only really done staycations in recent years and until debt is gone we will continue doing that. As such we start saving for that in Jan but thankfully it's not a huge expense.

We now also put £50 away each month for annual expenses.

This covers house insurance, pet insurance, playstation network subscription, Amazon prime subscription, MOT on each car. We service our own cars. Eventually this contribution will be increased in order to pay car insurance and car tax outright. But what we've done so far is a big step forward as we never put money away for the annual expenses before.

MB
  • October goals

1) To pay a total of £1000 off debt
    £213.79/£1000

2) To get £700 in the EF
    £665/£700

3) To list 10 items on Ebay
    9/10

Managed to get 9 items listed yesterday. But I also sorted through ALOT of old baby clothes. There is now a huge pile that I need to take to M&S for the shwopping thing. I take anything that I don't think would sell there as they welcome all clothing items regardless of quality.

Hopefully I can get a few more things on Ebay later.

4) To earn £40 from surveys - only payable to count
    £13.16/£40

Another £1.02 from Qmee and a £10 cash out in Love2Shop voucher from VO. I'm about £2.50 off my minimum £25 cashout value with PA.

Totals as of 15th October

Lloyds CC £1293
    MBNA CC £4035
    Barclaycard CC £2206.71 £6.16 paid off
    Tesco Loan £9799.84
    Santander Loan £6373.43
    TV -DH purchase £569
    M&S Loan £7755.52
    Bicycle finance £75

Total debt as of 29th September - £32322.28
    Total debt as of 8th October - £32284.78
    Total Debt as of 13th October - £32113.65
    Total Debt as of 15th October - £32107.49

Total cleared since 1st October - £213.79

Emergency Fund total - £665/£1000

A small PAD today.
    Should have a few things come out tomorrow - specifically the loans.

Received an email the other day about a part of the area I work in that the council are going to start to charge for parking. I don't park in that particular area BUT the knock on effect will be that where I do park will most likely be filled up sooner. This may mean that I will having to pay for parking more days than not :(

Will have to monitor and then assess whether my parking budget needs increasing from £50 a month to £80 a month to accommodate every working day.

MB
  • That is a pain about parking mummy bear. I refuse to pay for parking at work as I only work part time so that would be equivalent to 30 minutes pay. I work in a university which has a green initiative so they subsidise the park and ride tickets so I can park for free and get a 50% discounted voucher for bus into the city which is a fraction of the cost of parking in town. I go even further with saving and park for free and do the 25 minute walk if it is fine into work which is around 1.25miles. I figure that is good exercise but I don't have to get back to pick up kids.

Are there any incentives by your company to do something similar?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • That is a pain about parking mummy bear. I refuse to pay for parking at work as I only work part time so that would be equivalent to 30 minutes pay. I work in a university which has a green initiative so they subsidise the park and ride tickets so I can park for free and get a 50% discounted voucher for bus into the city which is a fraction of the cost of parking in town. I go even further with saving and park for free and do the 25 minute walk if it is fine into work which is around 1.25miles. I figure that is good exercise but I don't have to get back to pick up kids.

Are there any incentives by your company to do something similar?

Without divulging my job I'll try and explain as best I can!

To put it bluntly - who I work for does not offer any help when it comes to parking.
    The usual places of work for my 'company' have free parking. However, the department I work in is situated in a council building. We used to get offered parking spaces by the council. But when they realized those 10 spaces could be earning them money they were took off us.

There is no park and ride for me to use :(

I've considered parking further away and walking the distance - I'm not adverse to that. However, I'm on a flexi plan in order to do school drop off. It means that as soon as that is done I have to drive to work leaving little time to finding parking and get in on time. Therefore, to park further away and walk the distance means getting to work late :(

Those partner agencies I work with who are eligible to apply for a parking permit currently pay £50 a month, set to increase to £80 a month :eek: and they don't get allocated a specific space. Just an area. And if there are no spaces when they turn up, tough. They have to find somewhere free (taking it away from the likes of me) or find a pay and display.

MB
  • Mummy_bear
    Mummy_bear Posts: 604 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 16 October 2017 at 8:19AM
    Good morning

Just a quick post whilst getting ready for work.

Yesterday yielded what seems like a bi-monthly issue with DH car!! His break pads sound worn and grinding into the discs. Due to the age and type of car these are not apparently cheap to replace! !! Had a few harsh words with DH as he admitted he thought the pads needed changing a few weeks back but ignored the issue and now the discs are probably ruined. Anyway, this could cost in the region of £300 to sort :( honestly that man frustrates the hell out of me. I'm hoping we won't need to go too much into the EF if at all as I always try and leave a few hundred in the accounts normally earmarked for overpayments and savings.

What it has highlighted is my complete reluctance to use the EF!!

Anyway we'll know the damage in next few days

MB
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure