PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Currys Care Plan?

Hi All,

My washing machine has just died after only 2 years. I have decided to get a new one at Currys & am tempted by their 5 year care plan. Has anyone taken this out and does it work?

Comments

• Tiddlywinks
    Tiddlywinks Posts: 5,777 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Don't limit yourself to Currys.

John Lewis is doing a couple of offers at the moment. Five year guarantee on all JL own brand appliances. They also have a Samsung offer of claiming an extra three years warranty on registering your product.

Co-Op Electrical also does good warranties.
    :hello:
  • TheMsTeal
    TheMsTeal Posts: 331 Forumite
    First Post
    Thanks. I am just sceptical as to whether they really would do all repairs free for 4 or 5 years or whether they would find a way of slapping an extra charge on if you did need to get it repaired?
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,199 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Agree with TW, JL are good, I bought their own brand, came with 5 year guarantee plus no quiblles at all with delivery or removal of old one, still going strong without any problems

As TW says, don't limit yourself
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,199 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    TheMsTeal wrote: »
    Thanks. I am just sceptical as to whether they really would do all repairs free for 4 or 5 years or whether they would find a way of slapping an extra charge on if you did need to get it repaired?

I do not know for sure, but you would be dealing with a reputable firm that has traded for years and is known for satisafaction, think Waitrose, who are the same folk
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • TheMsTeal
    TheMsTeal Posts: 331 Forumite
    First Post
    That's a good point! I will take a look. Thanks for your help.
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I've got the currys five year care plan on our cooker. I've never had to use them for a repair yet. But I am certain that they would stick to the terms and conditions of the scheme.

For the cooker you do get a clean every year for the 5 years and I used it for the first time last November. Very satisfied.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,083 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I have this for a tumble drier and washing machine and have used with previous appliances. Found it pretty good - no hidden costs but you can wait a few days to get an engineer out. Would buy again
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Stay away from Currys would be my advice

JL perhaps, or a local independent electrical shop

I personally would never buy from Currys unless I was truly desperate
  • Litchielou
    Litchielou Posts: 134 Forumite
    I would compare the price of the washer to the price of the care plan. Over 5 years it might be cheaper to just get a new washer.
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Buy a Miele machine and no care plan. (Mine is 12 years old and no trouble so far.)

They start at £594 at AO.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport