3 feel at home....coverage ??

My daughter (13) has a talk mobile sim only contract.

She's going away for a week soon as part of the 'guides' she does to Switzerland.
I know this is part of '3' feel at home destination. Is there any coverage maps as for where this coverage is ?

Thanks

Comments

• Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    It depends on the Swiss network 3 uses (and this can change). The downside is if this network doesn't provide coverage in the area she's in, her phone will not switch to one that does (normal roaming).
  • Atasas
    Atasas Posts: 753 Forumite
    My daughter (13) has a talk mobile sim only contract.

She's going away for a week soon as part of the 'guides' she does to Switzerland.
    I know this is part of '3' feel at home destination. Is there any coverage maps as for where this coverage is ?

Thanks
    Even got me confused on that one...

In short TM uses VodaFlunks network, their roaming charges are OK abroad, CH is group 1 Europe for all the calls and roaming
    https://talkmobile.co.uk/roam-charges
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Atasas wrote: »
    Even got me confused on that one...

In short TM uses VodaFlunks network, their roaming charges are OK abroad, CH is group 1 Europe for all the calls and roaming
    https://talkmobile.co.uk/roam-charges

Doesn't seem that confusing, the OP is probably considering using a 3 PAYG sim for the trip.
    ====
  • Atasas
    Atasas Posts: 753 Forumite
    d123 wrote: »
    Doesn't seem that confusing, the OP is probably considering using a 3 PAYG sim for the trip.
    Makes sense now ;)
  • My daughter (13) has a talk mobile sim only contract.

Thanks
    I don't know about Switzerland, but in Spain (one of Three's original feel at home countries) it worked quite well. My guess is that it will be OK. We could manually select other networks while roaming at one time (for no additional charge), but last October that didn't seem to work as the phone wouldn't affiliate to another network.

Data is very variable. Out in rural areas the data rate can be really good, but in large towns virtually a trickle. Ordinary calls and text messages (including pictures send via iMessage, an iPhone data service) were OK, although pictures sometimes took a while to send.

Don't forget that if you use Three, the phone will need unlocking (assuming it is network locked) and will also need to be a 3G phone. On PAYG with Three, you have to convert a top up into a "bundle" in order to use feel at home. Details on their web site or in a Three shop. I have a couple of SIM only contracts with Three, so have no direct experience of PAYG.

On Three you do not get local calls as part of feel at home roaming, any calls made to Swiss numbers would be an additional cost.

By the way, Talkmobile seem a bit hopeless for roaming, even on contract!
  • d123 wrote: »

Yes sorry.....wasn't going to allow her to take her normal SIM with her....so thinking of buying a 3. SIM and putting the required 20 quid on it for her 10 day trip....
  • I don't know about Switzerland, but in Spain (one of Three's original feel at home countries) it worked quite well. My guess is that it will be OK. We could manually select other networks while roaming at one time (for no additional charge), but last October that didn't seem to work as the phone wouldn't affiliate to another network.

Data is very variable. Out in rural areas the data rate can be really good, but in large towns virtually a trickle. Ordinary calls and text messages (including pictures send via iMessage, an iPhone data service) were OK, although pictures sometimes took a while to send.

Don't forget that if you use Three, the phone will need unlocking (assuming it is network locked) and will also need to be a 3G phone. On PAYG with Three, you have to convert a top up into a "bundle" in order to use feel at home. Details on their web site or in a Three shop. I have a couple of SIM only contracts with Three, so have no direct experience of PAYG.

On Three you do not get local calls as part of feel at home roaming, any calls made to Swiss numbers would be an additional cost.

By the way, Talkmobile seem a bit hopeless for roaming, even on contract!

Yes the phone is unlocked....a iPhone 6s from the apple shop.

Just interested in the calls and texts really....don't suppose enough bandwidth for FaceTime or FB messenger video..
  • Just been on 3 website.

20 quid gets me 3000 texts.300 mins and 12gb of data. Then says feel at home addin is required....

So is feel at home a extra charge. ?

Sorry for questions....
    Trying to avoid..
    1... Letting her take talk mobile sim....no big bills

Thanks
  • Yes the phone is unlocked....a iPhone 6s from the apple shop.
    Try the Maps.me app, it's totally free and without adverts. The maps are all free too, and for some countries has mapping to villa boundaries, pool outlines, individual trees, etc. You download the maps at home (via WiFi) and use them without needing a data connection in the country visited. You don't need to download Gigabytes of maps, just the area you need. Works great on our iPhones (SE models with 64GB of ram).

Something for nothing :j
  • Jon_01
    Jon_01 Posts: 5,865
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Just been on 3 website.

20 quid gets me 3000 texts.300 mins and 12gb of data. Then says feel at home addin is required....

So is feel at home a extra charge. ?

Thanks

It's a free service, just top up and go. I've used 3 in the US many times, buying the sim one day and traveling the next.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure