MSE News: BT to hike broadband and call prices and charge TV customers for BT Sport

Comments

• boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 6 March 2017 at 9:29PM
    For those people moving from BT to Virgin because of the price rise, BT may well try to charge you a 'cease' charge of £31 because you will be leaving the openreach network for cable. They should not charge you this, Post no.17 by DanielS.
  • Ian011
    Ian011 Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If you go to a website and see a thousand people complaining about a well-known large company, any such company, just remember they may have several million or more customers
  • VisionMan
    VisionMan Posts: 1,585 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Trustpilot? I wouldn't trust them with a kite, never mind a survey.
  • boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 7 March 2017 at 12:26PM
    Ian011 wrote: »
    If you go to a website and see a thousand people complaining about a well-known large company, any such company, just remember they may have several million or more customers
    Then they should have far more experience at dealing with complaints(over 5 times more than Sky for broadband per 100,000 customers) and how not to push customers to the point of feeling their only option is to put it in print.

BT are bringing their customer service back to the UK, almost certainly because of the complaints they have failed to deal with effectively.
    I called them yesterday, 'Hi, this is Clive, and I'm based in Glasgow, how can I help today', as if to say, you've called the right place(I'm UK based), we can get your problem sorted.
  • sharpshot
    sharpshot Posts: 24 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Unfortunately, the UK call centre was no better at solving my problem that the Indian one. They gave the impression of being more competent but still couldn't stop me being billed for line rental every month when I had already paid it. Several times I really thought they were going to sort this out for good but for some reason it proved impossible. Claiming the money back each month wasn't easy either, I'm pleased I no longer have to do that after leaving.

They were good when I called to get the fee for leaving removed and my remaining line rental back but I was told twice by people in the UK that I wouldn't have any fee for leaving and that the line rental would automatically get paid back. They always seemed confident and competent on the phone but every month I was disappointed when I saw my bill was wrong again.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    My BT problems have always been solved .
    USE
    My BT Help/ Community forum where real problems can get top level CS involved .
  • WillPS
    WillPS Posts: 3,456 Forumite
    Newshound! First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 9 March 2017 at 12:46PM
    Switched to TalkTalk on March 1st. No line rental saver refund despite being promised one twice!

Called and will have a revised bill in 14 days (!!) showing a £160 line rental saver refund.

You can see why BT get bad reviews as their customer service really is quite poor. I can't really complain as I've effectively been paid ~£200 for 3 months of fibre connection (not including whatever the Smarthub and Youview box are worth), but of all the ISPs I've been with they have been the most faff.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    WillPS wrote: »
    Switched to TalkTalk on March 1st. No line rental saver refund despite being promised one twice!

Use the BT Complaints .
  • Need some advice please. We have not received notification of the price rise from BT, contacted BT today to check the rise affects us and was told an email was sent in 7th Feb, therefore we are outside of the 30 day period. I have checked my inbox, spam folder and trash and cannot find any evidence of an email being sent on the date they said. BT insist we were notified, am I within my rights to cancel as we received no notification
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,267 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Therockett wrote: »
    Need some advice please. We have not received notification of the price rise from BT, contacted BT today to check the rise affects us and was told an email was sent in 7th Feb, therefore we are outside of the 30 day period. I have checked my inbox, spam folder and trash and cannot find any evidence of an email being sent on the date they said. BT insist we were notified, am I within my rights to cancel as we received no notification

Here's an extract from the email:

"You don't need to do anything but if you want to change something or leave, and you're within your minimum contract term, you'll need to contact us within 30 days of receiving this email to avoid paying a charge for leaving early. You'll need to give us 30 days' notice to leave (or 14 days if you're switching to a new provider). We won't charge you for any increase in price during that time."

The bit in bold should help you considerably - they've used the word 'receiving', so if you state categorically that it wan't received there's very little they can do but resend it, allowing you a further time period.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure