Real-life MMD: Should I shop my brother over his scratchcard win?

Options

Comments

• tgroom57
    tgroom57 Posts: 1,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You won't need to say anything - an unemployed person with £500 to spend is way too obvious. When his sister hears about it she will think it was more than £500. His best bet is to offer half the money back £150, because £350 is still more than enough to have a good time.

And I agree with above - why is an unemployed person buying scratchcards when they owe money?
  • clairemichele
    Options
    You are in a no-win situation because if you tell your sister your brother will be upset, and if you don't tell her and she ever finds out (which she most likely will), she will be upset. So I would tell your sister, and tell your brother you have told her. He should pay his debts, and it would be a bad life lesson to let him get away with this. He may be upset for a while, but your sister sounds the more valuable relationship to preserve, and he will probably realise himself that it was the right thing to do, once the sting has eased.
  • kitcat80
    kitcat80 Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    I agree with others - not sure it's for you to intervene between your brother and sister. But I would make it clear to your brother that he's put you in an unfair position and would tell him that it'll really make you consider his integrity if he doesn't pay her back. Although he's unemployed, your sister offered to lend him the money, not give it to him. I'd also make it clear to him that, without telling your sister, you would have to tell others not to offer help to him in the future. How incredibly selfish of him to suggest he won't pay your sister and to put you in this position. The other thing he should remember is that in families such things always come out in the end...
  • purple.sarah
    purple.sarah Posts: 2,517 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I wouldn't tell on him, I would push him to do the right thing himself. You aren't kids anymore, it sounds like he needs to grow up and take responsibility. Maybe say you don't want to tell her but you will unless he pays up or at least sets up a repayment plan. It's better if they work this out amongst themselves rather than putting you in the middle. As this money was a prize, it's not coming out of his budget so it's an opportunity to repay her without feeling the pinch and still have £200 to treat himself.
  • gloriouslyhappy
    Options
    kitcat80 wrote: »
    I agree with others - not sure it's for you to intervene between your brother and sister. But I would make it clear to your brother that he's put you in an unfair position and would tell him that it'll really make you consider his integrity if he doesn't pay her back. Although he's unemployed, your sister offered to lend him the money, not give it to him. I'd also make it clear to him that, without telling your sister, you would have to tell others not to offer help to him in the future. How incredibly selfish of him to suggest he won't pay your sister and to put you in this position. The other thing he should remember is that in families such things always come out in the end...

Absolutely agree with above, especially the bit about things always coming out and shouldn't be putting you in this position. The best help you can give him, is to help him manage money so the situation of needing to borrow in future won't come up again. Thus he should immediately pay off the £300, maybe add a nice bunch of flowers too to say thank you, be grateful to have the £200 (less cost of flowers) and be able to enjoy being a member of a happy family.

What's the alternative? Skulking around unable to enjoy his windfall, and family members at outs with each other. As for why is he spending on the lottery, well, the odd ticket here and there is irrelevant - as long as he's not spending all his money on the 'tax on stupidity' system, a pound now and then doesn't matter. But if he is lucky enough to win, it's debts first, saving next, fun after!
  • WIMBORNE_RESIDENT
    WIMBORNE_RESIDENT Posts: 6 Forumite
    edited 12 June 2013 at 8:50AM
    Options
    I feel that it would probably be fair to both if he paid her back say £150 of the money he owes. Why should he enjoy all the fun when she has stood out this large sum? She WILL find out eventually that she has been deceived and this will probably cause lifelong resentment. It isn't worth it! Be fair and share.

Anyway, as said by others on here, it really is his business and personally I would not get involved as you are not likely to win and will probably fall out with both! He should not have bought scratchcards (if we are being REALLY moral!)
  • mr-mixalot
    mr-mixalot Posts: 82 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Tell him that he has until the end of the day to tell her otherwise you will, secrets like this can tear a family apart
  • happyinflorida
    Options
    Well he's involved you as you know about it and when your sister finds out she may well be very angry with you for not telling her so she had a chance to get her money back, depends on what you're like as a family - not that close by the look of things as you're asking on here rather than telling her first, but that's just my opinion.

I would definitely tell her - she's your sister and you owe her that honesty. Your brother is being very dishonest, he borrowed the money - and it would have cost him a lot more from a credit card, bank or money lender (don't ever use them as their interest rates are dishonestly high) - so he should do the decent thing and pay his sister back. I would have told him straight and told him it was his choice, either pay her back or I'd tell her what was going on.

Your choice.
  • madmuppet5
    madmuppet5 Posts: 5,575 Forumite
    Options
    Tell him you want £300 to keep quiet and then give it to your sister :D
    AKA; Mad, MM, MM5, Madicles :cool: ©
    Shin: Device for finding furniture in the dark :p©
    Elite 11+ fundraising total for Make-a-Wish £682 :j:A
  • planetzog
    planetzog Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    I wouldn't start here. NEVER lend money to friends or realtives. If you're so minded, make it a gift, but never a loan.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure