Will new S Pension cause resentment?

Options

Comments

• ipri
    ipri Posts: 649 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks to all...Look at the original post .....I'm not resentful. I'm quite happy with my income / lifestyle. I really was just interested in the question I posed. I understand the generational thing....I was talking about people of similar ages, but for different reasons, were getting different pensions ...In my case, my friend ( still) , has many years less qualifying years than me, retired at 58! I imagine there will be a few fallouts over the issue. Anyway, thanks..lets go and have a drink. Smiley face if I could find it!!
  • ipri
    ipri Posts: 649 Forumite
    edited 15 October 2016 at 8:30PM
    Options
    PPS...Dunstonh...my mate had less years than me, by far...and retired early, and now a better state pension. He's only 1yr younger than me.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    ipri wrote: »
    Thanks to all...Look at the original post .....I'm not resentful. I'm quite happy with my income / lifestyle. I really was just interested in the question I posed. I understand the generational thing....I was talking about people of similar ages, but for different reasons, were getting different pensions ...In my case, my friend ( still) , has many years less qualifying years than me, retired at 58! I imagine there will be a few fallouts over the issue. Anyway, thanks..lets go and have a drink. Smiley face if I could find it!!
    Here is is :) But you seem to be missing the point - does he have a contracted out occupational pension like you? That is a replacement for part of the state pension. Your occ scheme pays it instead of the state.
  • hyubh
    hyubh Posts: 3,531 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    my mate had less years than me, by far...and retired early, and now a better state pension. He's only 1yr younger than me.

In which case, given what you've also said, he must have been contracted-in, paying the full rate of NI, and not benefiting from a very generous final salary scheme on top like yourself.
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,820 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    hyubh wrote: »
    In which case, given what you've also said, he must have been contracted-in, paying the full rate of NI, and not benefiting from a very generous final salary scheme on top like yourself.

Or alternatively, he was contracted out and even though he's getting the 'new pension' he's' not getting the maximum £155.65.

Going by the various comments on this board and other sources, a lot of the resentment from those on the 'old pension' comes from a mistaken belief that everyone getting the 'new pension' is getting £155.65 a week, which is far from true due to the transitional rules.
  • fredandwilma
    Options
    Will people who get the new SP not be a source of resentment from those who , if I'm correct, will receive less?
    zagfles wrote: »
    For instance there seems to be a lot of ignorance that the new state pension replaces both the old basic state pension and the SERPS/S2P earnings related element. For most people the old system was more generous.
    dunstonh wrote: »

People who are 60 today have similar health to those that were 40 in the 1970s. They are likely to be paid their state pension much longer than those in the past, even though the state pensions used to be higher (on full qualification).

There is always the exception to the rule. I'm still struggling to understand how the new rules will affect me, so I've finally requested a pension statement to see if this will clarify, (just out of interest.) I belong to the group of people who were hit the hardest by the last pension reforms.

What i do know is :

I've worked and contributed for 45 years

I didn't contract out of SERPS (or second state pension)

I can no longer retire for another 6 years, (collect my state pension)

I currently receive half the amount of income i would if i were "officially" retired (fantastic government cost cutting exercise)

I'm too ill to work and actually have the the health of someone in their 80's (but still have the stress of proving i'm too ill to work)

I accept it's unlikely i will ever collect my state pension, in any case (i have life limiting illnesses)

Like i said, there is always the exception to the rule.

I would love to be in receipt of my state pension which would have been around the £276 a week stated.

Am i resentful?

I won't answer that question, but i could be in a far better financial situation than i am currently.

http://www.which.co.uk/money/retirement/guides/state-pension-explained/state-second-pension-and-serps/

How much state second pension do I get?
    The amount of state second pension you get is based on your earnings over the years that you have made National Insurance contributions.

The maximum state second pension you could get in 2015/16 was around £160 a week. This was in addition to the maximum basic state pension of £115.95 in 2015/16, which could potentially take your total state pension to around £276 a week.
    Fred - Where's your get up and go?

Barney - It just got up and went.

Carpe diem
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,726 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've worked and contributed for 45 years

If this is true, then when you get your forecast/statement you should see you will get in excess of the new state pension as anyone who has worked for that period of time, contracted in, should have quite a bit of S2p/Serps on top of the basic SP.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,412 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm still struggling to understand how the new rules will affect me,

Based on what you have said, you will be entitled to a full new state pension plus a "protected payment".

https://www.prospect.org.uk/at-work/pensions-retirement/statepensions/howmuch
  • hyubh
    hyubh Posts: 3,531 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I belong to the group of people who were hit the hardest by the last pension reforms.

<snip>

I can no longer retire for another 6 years, (collect my state pension)

I currently receive half the amount of income i would if i were "officially" retired (fantastic government cost cutting exercise)

Presumably you're Wilma rather than Fred? Unless I'm missing something, you seem to be claiming to be amongst the 'hardest hit' from stage pension age equalisation, rather than introduction of the single tier (as atush and xylophone say, it appears your entitlement is already over the new flat rate)...?
  • fredandwilma
    fredandwilma Posts: 1,251 Forumite
    Chutzpah Haggler I won, I won, I won! Rampant Recycler Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies.

I didn't realise there was still a "protected payment" although there's still time for things to change. I will still have the maximum amount of contributions for the "qualifying" years. That's good to know, although i know i can claim pension credit. I still doubt i will ever see my pension. Money can't buy you health and however much planning you do, you can't plan for the unexpected. Even if the government introduces means testing, it still won't affect me.
    Fred - Where's your get up and go?

Barney - It just got up and went.

Carpe diem
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills