2»

Comments

• paddypaws101
    paddypaws101 Posts: 2,093
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    DD265 wrote: »
    Thanks all.

that between the "gym" and putting a bed in the spare room, there won't be quite as much space for a cat tree as I'd thought right now.

Well the spare bed will become one of the cat's beds ;) and you don't need a huge amount of floor space for a cat tree.....look at the floor to ceiling ones or even some wall shelves which can be used to climb up and snooze on. Even the dead space over the top of a door way can be made into a cat space.
    http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_beds_baskets/wall_mounted_cat_bed/366967
    http://www.catsplay.com/cat-wall-climbing-systems
  • DD265
    DD265 Posts: 2,202
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 10 October 2016 at 10:18AM
    Fen1 wrote: »
    Have you considered adopting an older or disabled cat?

Yes and I'm not adverse to it at all for the right cat(s). But either way, it has to be the right cat. Honestly my preference would be a cat that couldn't go outside for whatever reason, as then I don't feel like I'm depriving it of options. We'll be guided by the rescue, anyway.

There's a 6yo I like the look of but she's not good with children and if we decide to have kids (jury is firmly out!) it would be within her life expectancy. I'm pretty sure The Ferocious GizMog hated us until we grew up, but then she only ever really liked Dad anyway and merely tolerated the rest of us when we were old enough. :rotfl:

Fostering isn't going to work because I'd never be able to let them go. :o
    Well the spare bed will become one of the cat's beds ;) and you don't need a huge amount of floor space for a cat tree.....

Along with our bed and the sofa and the computer keyboards and the magazine you're reading... lol I love cats.

We're renting so although the landlord is very laid back, I don't want to fix anything to the walls if we can help it. I'm working on height for the cat trees rather than width at the moment. Ideally I'd like to try and discourage them from jumping from the microwave shelf to the top of the extractor fan to try and get on top of the kitchen cupboards - the extractor fan hood is stainless steel and they'll slide right off!
  • UKTigerlily
    UKTigerlily Posts: 4,702
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    My cat tree is 6ft 3 & doesn't need fixing to the walls; i'm pretty sure even when they are adults it'll hold them ok. I think a second hand one would be fine so long as not too battered!

I agree about older cats too, I just lost my 18 year old to CKD in July & she was the most incredible cat i've ever had, just wonderful x
  • My cat is now 11, we got her with her sister (now dead) age 3. In that time they moved house 5 times, one of those to Canada and back. Poppy has been very adjustable and when in Canada was a house cat but Shen is now living on a farm so we never see her! She is not keen on my husband but loves me! Her sister was more my husbands cat. We got a dog who she hates but has now stated to ignore. When she goes, I'll get an old moggie. Rescue cats are the best! And older ones less work than kittens. We had a massive cat tree - this one never used it but her sister loved it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure