PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Does anyone want to join me waiting for new build to be built and complete

Comments

• VultureDodger
    VultureDodger Posts: 65 Forumite
    edited 6 June 2016 at 6:24PM
    That's fantastic! Derboy and dgtazzman, thank you both SO much for your advice.

Using the Movemaker scheme would be so convenient and could save us around £2k in estate agent fees, but if we could negotiate money off the house, get them to pay our £3k stamp duty and/or chuck in flooring and downlights, then we'd be best off instructing our own estate agents to sell us.

Huge thanks, again :)
  • Does anyone have any tips or advice on negotiating a good deal that you could share with me, please? There are quite a lot of other new developments going up in my local area at the moment, so I had thought about earmarking a similar house under another builder and telling the sales agent that we 'cant' decide which one to go for', essentially playing the builders off against each other. Is this advisable?

• dgtazzman
    dgtazzman Posts: 1,140 Forumite
    Might help you to know most of the big developers give their sales team around 5% wiggle room for discounts/incentives. Trying for more than that is usually very hard and if the plots on the site are selling well, you are more likely to get nearer to 0%. Playing developers against each other can work, did it a few years back with Barratt and Keepmoat, which got me quite some internal upgrades thrown in from Keepmoat.
  • Derboy
    Derboy Posts: 168 Forumite
    That's fantastic! Derboy and dgtazzman, thank you both SO much for your advice.

Using the Movemaker scheme would be so convenient and could save us around £2k in estate agent fees, but if we could negotiate money off the house, get them to pay our £3k stamp duty and/or chuck in flooring and downlights, then we'd be best off instructing our own estate agents to sell us.

Definitely do this. At least have a couple that you're interested in and explain to each that you're considering both and trying to get the possible deal and see what they'll come up with. The key to this is not being impatient and trying to strike a deal on the first visit. You have to demonstrate that you're going through a decision making process and build your level of commitment with the sales person. Visit a few times with each and every time you should seem a bit further along in your decision making. For example let's say I was interested in three developments with three different builders. I would do this for each one:

VISIT
    1. Exploratory chat about house types, plots and availability. Purpose is to get a specific plot in mind, that's available to reserve.
    2. Take another look. Mention the two other developments and ask what incentives that can offer, potential completion estimates.
    3. Back again, explain that you've narrowed it down to one other. That your current house is now on the market and that you're ready to reserve. Mention the other builder by name and what incentives they've offered. Explain that you'd be happy with either house but this development just edges it for whatever reason but that it really comes down to getting the best possible deal and ask what they're prepared to do to get your business today.

Bear in mind that if a development is selling like hotcakes you'll be lucky to get anything and they may not even be interested in dealing with you if you still have a dependent property to sell. You're strongest bargaining position is when you've already sold your current house or at least have a buyer lined up.

...and remember if you get to stage 3 and the deal still isn't good enough but you've decided on the development, there's nothing stopping you walking away, get a buyer for your house and then going back in again afterwards to try and push for a little bit more.

My own experience is that initially all I got was a free dishwasher and was told that they'd hold the plot for a day till I had a chance to view a completed one on a different development! Even then I only got the dishwasher because I pleaded with them to help me save face after I'd done the deal. I went from swaggering in and assuring the wife that I'd show her how it's done, to begging them to please let me buy one of their lovely houses! Mine was one of the last on a popular development with a very cash rich regional developer so they weren't motivated to negotiate at all!
  • mleach101
    mleach101 Posts: 85 Forumite
    Derboy wrote: »
    My own experience is that initially all I got was a free dishwasher and was told that they'd hold the plot for a day till I had a chance to view a completed one on a different development! Even then I only got the dishwasher because I pleaded with them to help me save face after I'd done the deal. I went from swaggering in and assuring the wife that I'd show her how it's done, to begging them to please let me buy one of their lovely houses! Mine was one of the last on a popular development with a very cash rich regional developer so they weren't motivated to negotiate at all!

At least you got the dishwasher, I could get zero from them on my purchase for many of the reasons listed here. I also wanted a specific house type on a particular development for very specific reasons so I had very little room to manoeuvre myself. Ultimately, I'm comfortable with where I've ended up but it's just a circumstance of the market right now.

If I were looking to reserve right now, I'd wait until the 24th June. The Referendum result MAY leave the builders a little less uncertain about the future, probably not, but might be worth waiting a few weeks. Of course it could have the same effect on buyers too!
  • @haylescomm these are great points, things I've not even thought of (like the bins!)
    @Derboy Yay!! thats brilliant news. everything crossed for you!

Went to see the show home this weekend to get a feel for the finish (of at least the most expensive one in the development so far!). It was a nice surprise to see that the majority of it comes as standard so now I'm really itching to get into mine with an est completion of July/August. Although still waiting on the roof to go on!!

I would really recommend making friends with the sales people. We are there every weekend to make our presence know and make sure to have chats about the development and any cheeky extras we can chance our luck with (as we got nothing at all towards the house, far too popular a development to get anything!).

Just getting excited now!!
  • Derboy
    Derboy Posts: 168 Forumite
    Back down at the house today. Latest tale in our sorry saga is that our site manager has been sacked. Hasn't followed the options sheet correctly, hasn't ordered things, hasn't booked inspections. We're still on for Friday though and the house is looking fantastic.
  • Huuuuuuuuuuge thanks to you, Derboy, dgtazzman, mleach and PinkTortilla for your invaluable advice! You're all superstars! I shall bear this all mind when I start negotiations with the builders.

@Derboy - How exciting! I'm so pleased for you. It's a bit worrying that the site manager has been sacked. Hopefully it won't effect your plot and that they can get someone else in quickly to take over.

@Pinktortilla - Not long to go! Which housebuilder are you using?
  • fashionvictim
    fashionvictim Posts: 185 Forumite
    Thought i'd pop back into the thread now we are finally in & online. No fibre in the road of course, why would there be?:rotfl:Only took 4 weeks to get it installed then internet didn't work for another 3 days @haylescomm feel your pain !

Got in end of April, only 4 months later than intended, honestly love the house but the finish is poor, lots of snags inc leaks, windows, bad paintwork, things missing we paid for as 'extras'

There is building work happening to the side and back of my garden (very noisy & dusty.) Was told would be some building work at rear to be finished end of June, but looking at it I think will be another 6 months. So I expect a lot more disappointed TW buyers are having their dates extended right to the long stop date.

In theory TW have to fix all the snags so in that sense it is free, but they are very slow and the days go by. Save some holiday or you need a stay at home wife/ to be a housewife/ work from home to get it all done- they have separate contractors for each thing.

I just keep telling myself a lot of second hand properties have issues and things you need to sort.

TW staff turnover here is high and the customer service can be classed as apathetic. Keep chasing them on the snags.

I think overall development will be lovely once complete and all neighbours seem nice/friendly.

Would I buy new build again now i've been through it .... hmmm I think if I ever brought a new build again I'd want a ready to move into one, so I could see exactly what I was getting. We didn't get any visits to see progress, so some things came as big surprise ( a bit different to our expectations inside and location.)

There has been a lot of stress, but that's selling and buying for you. Happy to be moved.

Good luck everyone.
  • mleach101
    mleach101 Posts: 85 Forumite
    Thanks for the update fashionvictim. Sounds like it's not been a perfect experience but on the whole positive, a fair assessment?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure