Dispute with a tradesman - Advice needed

Options
2»

Comments

• Spartan_Saver
    Options
    thegasmon wrote: »
    Sometimes you may allow a day for work and its goes really well and you finish early. Yon may start early, work flat out without a break and finish early.

from his point of view, you have not booked any other work in for the day because it may take you the day so if you do finish early you then earn less than your days money because your customer expects to pay you less?

Another factor, did you pay him for the time he spent looking at the job, fetching his materials.

his mistake was using the term days labour, he should have said this is the price then you would not have been questioning it.

him lying to you is a different matter tho, he should explained his position.

Spot on Gamson - Thanks for your helpful post. it was the labour part that made me question the whole charge and the discrepancy of his finishing time. If he had been truthful about his finishing time and explained all the pre work that went into the project I would have not questioned his invoice. However it was the lying that on his part that was unnecessary.

Anyways I did the right thing and paid him as I dislike owing anyone money and I won't be using or recommending his services.
  • deaston
    deaston Posts: 477 Forumite
    Options
    We needed some plastering doing. The plasterer that was recommended to us wouldn't come to our house to quote - he just wanted us to text him some photos. He said it looked like a three day job and that he charged £220 a day.

He arrived on the first day and said he needed some plaster (d'uh!) so we gave him cash and he disappeared for an hour. He got back and spent a lot of the morning on the phone whilst his dog 'enjoyed' our garden.

Anyway, he finished it on the second day and asked for £660. I questioned this and he said "I've done three days work in two days - £660". I refused. He went apoplectic and threatened to take the plaster off the walls. I had to wait while my wife (who had been in tears) went to the cash point to get the extra.

We phoned the company who recommended him and they said they wouldn't use him again (although I don't believe this) but it's occasions like this that just make me DIY whenever I can.
  • Spartan_Saver
    Options
    deaston wrote: »
    We needed some plastering doing. The plasterer that was recommended to us wouldn't come to our house to quote - he just wanted us to text him some photos. He said it looked like a three day job and that he charged £220 a day.

He arrived on the first day and said he needed some plaster (d'uh!) so we gave him cash and he disappeared for an hour. He got back and spent a lot of the morning on the phone whilst his dog 'enjoyed' our garden.

Anyway, he finished it on the second day and asked for £660. I questioned this and he said "I've done three days work in two days - £660". I refused. He went apoplectic and threatened to take the plaster off the walls. I had to wait while my wife (who had been in tears) went to the cash point to get the extra.

We phoned the company who recommended him and they said they wouldn't use him again (although I don't believe this) but it's occasions like this that just make me DIY whenever I can.

Sorry to hear this. This is awful. There are some rogues out there but also some excellent tradesmen. I had an electrician install some LEDs. Great guy. Honest, hard working and very fair. Did some extras as well. I tried to pay him a bit more on top of what he asked for. He said all he wanted in return were referrals. Unfortunately he has had an accident and is off work for a few months otherwise I would have used him again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure