IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Too late to appeal? Parking Eye Court Claim

Options
Hello and thanks for reading. My ex has just received a county court claim from Parking Eye for a parking ticket received a couple of months ago. It stems from an incident when we paid to park for one hour, but my back went ( I suffer with complications from spinal surgery and occasionally have episodes where I cannot walk at all) and as a result it took so long to get back to the car that we overstayed by about 15 minutes. When the parking ticket came through the post, I promised to appeal with medical evidence supporting my reason for overstaying, but then we split up, my situation worsened and I completely forgot to do it. If I had the money I would pay the claim for him, but I've been unable to work for the last few weeks and am pretty much bed bound for a while, and I just don't have the money (nor does he)...

So, my question is; Is it too late to appeal on these grounds? I very much appreciate any help, I feel so guilty..

Comments

• Carthesis
    Carthesis Posts: 565 Forumite
    Options
    No, you're not.

Government guidelines require ADR to be available for up to a year from the time of the alleged incident.

Also, if you've got a Blue Badge (and to some extent even if you haven't), then the Equalities Act requires reasonable adjustments to be made for people with mobility difficulties.

Additionally, grace periods need to be allowed - the minimum given in the ATA CoP is 10 mins, but there is an expectation of reasonable adjustments in the case of disabled users.

Write to Parking Eye using the appropriate appeal template on the **NEWBIES** thread (Linked here for you!), and perhaps emphasise the point that ADR is to be made available for upto 12 months.

Important note: Expect them to reject it anyway, and then you should win this at POPLA.
  • Ralph-y
    Ralph-y Posts: 4,563 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    where did this heinous deed take place ? retail park? supermarket? hospital? ....

do you still have the original paper work ?

Ralph:cool:
  • fedupex
    fedupex Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Carthesis thanks for your speedy reply and advice. From reading the posts I'd got the impression that appeals and POPLA could only be done before a county court claim is issued, is that not the case? I don't have a blue badge but do have plenty of medical evidence detailing my condition.
  • fedupex
    Options
    Hi Ralph, it was s retail park type place, I don't have any receipts though, and I've a sinking feeling the original paperwork may have been recycled when a friend helped around the house whilst I was unable, as I also can't find the medical report I was going to send with it which was in a neglected pile of paperwork.. I realise I've messed up big time here :(
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    edited 17 October 2016 at 2:33PM
    Options
    I very much doubt if a judge would find for them, and, given the circumstances, he may indeed be very cross with PE.

Your ex can probably see this off by attending court and telling it like it is. If you could also attend it would be a bonus, but even if you cannot you can put the full facts in a witness statement.

Do not be too bothered about signs, contracts, Beavis etc, let the golden thread of British Justice prevail. (Woolmington v DPP)
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • fedupex
    Options
    Hi The Deep and thanks. In the initial defence statement section of the MCOL do I have to use the legal format I've seen people post up here, do you know? I'm struggling to determine which sections are entirely relevant in my case. Apologies if my questions echo others, it's difficult thinking clearly in a painkiller fog! And again, thank you all for your time & input :)
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,662 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 17 October 2016 at 3:01PM
    Options
    fedupex wrote: »
    Hi Ralph, it was s retail park type place, I don't have any receipts though, and I've a sinking feeling the original paperwork may have been recycled when a friend helped around the house whilst I was unable, as I also can't find the medical report I was going to send with it which was in a neglected pile of paperwork.. I realise I've messed up big time here :(

So you have a court claim?

You are too late to appeal but not too late to defend it or explain your circumstances and make a lower offer to settle it. PE sometimes settle for between £30 - £60, especially if you email the medical information (even from memory!).

If you want to make an offer, email:

enforcement@parkingeye.co.uk

with this in the subject line:

WITHOUT PREJUDICE SAVE AS TO COSTS - Claim number xxxxxxxxx - PCN ref xxxxxx/xxxxxx

(obviously with the right numbers not x!)

Tell them you have had the claim form and the event stems from an incident when you paid to park for one hour, but your back went (tell them you suffer with complications from spinal surgery and occasionally have episodes where you cannot walk) and as a result it took so long to get back to the car that you inadvertently overstayed by a few minutes. When the parking ticket came through the post, say that you fully intended to appeal with medical evidence, but then your relationship ended and your situation worsened and in a stressed state, you forgot to do it.

Tell them you are still ill and on painkillers and wish to settle it but are unable to offer more than £30 , if they will not cancel it now they know of the medical emergency. See what they say.

It doesn't sound like you are up for defending this in court, hence my suggestion. If I am wrong, then start reading about how to defend a claim.

You MUST acknowledge that claim or you can end up with a default CCJ and by 'acknowledge' I don't mean the email to PE! I mean acknowledge the claim via the MCOL system to tell the court you intend to defend in full. That buys you time to negotiate with PE for a couple more weeks.

So, tell us when you have acknowledged the claim online using the password (the claim form tells you how).

And tell us if you've decided to make an offer, or defend. We will help you write a defence but against PE you MUST turn up in court and they will send a solicitor so it is not easy for you.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • fedupex
    Options
    Coupon-mad you're a total star, thank you! Very considerate of you to provide the email address and subject heading for PE alongside all that other advice. I have just acknowledged the claim on MCOL and stated my intent to defend, buying myself a further 14 days. I will ask my ex whether he'd rather we make an offer or go for the full defence, (£15 each would be manageable if they were to accept an offer of £30). If they won't accept an offer I'm fully prepared to go to court alongside him even if I have to be wheeled in there!
  • Castle
    Castle Posts: 4,196 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Could you pay to park for more than 1 hour; if so, you may want to have a look at the Parkingeye v Carigus case on the Parking Prankster site; (AKA the Snowdon Mountain Railway car park case).

http://www.parking-prankster.com/case-law.html

(Mr Carigus overstayed due to an injury whilst walking, though he did offer £10 before court action)
  • fedupex
    Options
    Hi Castle and thanks for your help. I'm not sure whether we could have paid for more, I was in such pain when we got back (and my poor ex flapping, trying to help me) we just left to get home as quick as poss. But many thanks for the case study, very interesting and I will mention it in my offer to PE!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure