Broadway Travel - trying to cancel my holiday

I booked a fortnight's holiday with Broadway Trave, due to leave in 9 days time. We got a bargain price - everything has been paid for.

They contacted me today to inform that each passenger would have to pay an additional £500+ as there was an error with the booking.

Has anyone had a similar problem? I do not think their T&C cover this. I'd appreciate some urgent assistance.

Broadway Travel's T&C below

Important Information Sheet
Errors / Amendments
The attached document is a confirmation of your booking. The person to whom the invoice is addressed is the lead passenger and
a contract therefore exists between the lead passenger and the Tour Operator/Supplier. Please check all details carefully and
contact our Customer Services department immediately to notify of any errors and omissions. We cannot accept responsibility for
any costs incurred or for any problems encountered due to errors that were not reported to us upon immediate receipt of your
confirmation

Cancellations / Amendments
All confirmed bookings are subject to cancellation charges on a sliding scale. However there is 100% cancellation charge
applicable if you have booked a flight either using a low cost airline or a scheduled airline. Please call for exact charges. If you
wish to cancel your holiday we require written confirmation from the lead passenger, once we receive this we can begin the
cancellation process. It is in your best interest to advise us as soon as possible to avoid heavier cancellation/amendment charges.
Some amendments are treated as cancellations and we suggest that you contact Broadway Travel Services (Wimbledon) Ltd as
soon as possible. (N.B Please note some holiday arrangements are non-refundable and non-changeable e.g. scheduled airfares.)

Comments

• pompeyrich
    pompeyrich Posts: 3,135
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If you go to their site and check the full T&Cs the very first one seems to cover your situation. I guess depending on timescales and how clear a mistake/bargain is might strengthen or weaken your arguement. For example if you booked 2 weeks in Florida for £10p.p. then most people would accept that was an error and expect the mistake to be noticed, get up to a more realistic price paid and the matter becomes more debatable.
  • ryan7
    ryan7 Posts: 162
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    pompeyrich wrote: »
    If you go to their site and check the full t&C the very first one seems to cover your situation. I guess depending on timescales and how clear a mistake/bargain is might strengthen or weaken your arguement. For example if you booked 2 weeks in Florida for £10p.p. then most people would accept that was an error and expect the mistake to be noticed, get up to a more realistic price paid and the matter becomes more debatable.

Thanks for your reply however I don’t agree with the T&C’s comment. They only apply when it’s an error on the consumer’s part.
    Paying nearly £200 all inclusive for a fortnight is a bargain. Not a noticeable error. If it was that evident then it wouldn’t have taken them over 2wks to contact us.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,534
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    ryan7 wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply however I don’t agree with the T&C’s comment. They only apply when it’s an error on the consumer’s part.
    Paying nearly £200 all inclusive for a fortnight is a bargain. Not a noticeable error. If it was that evident then it wouldn’t have taken them over 2wks to contact us.

not sure if you are looking at the same section
    Errors and Omissions
    We take reasonable steps to ensure that any information, photographs, or any other details about the flights, accommodation arrangements or accommodation featured on the website is accurate. Whilst every effort is made to ensure the accuracy of all information and prices displayed on this Site, regrettably errors do occasionally occur. In the event that an incorrect price has been entered in error, any booking made based on such incorrect price will not be valid. You will be advised of the mistake at the earliest opportunity and you will then have the option either to pay the correct price for the travel arrangements or to cancel and receive a full refund of any monies you may already have paid.
  • real1314
    real1314 Posts: 4,432 Forumite
    Caz3121 wrote: »
    not sure if you are looking at the same section
    Errors and Omissions
    We take reasonable steps to ensure that any information, photographs, or any other details about the flights, accommodation arrangements or accommodation featured on the website is accurate. Whilst every effort is made to ensure the accuracy of all information and prices displayed on this Site, regrettably errors do occasionally occur. In the event that an incorrect price has been entered in error, any booking made based on such incorrect price will not be valid. You will be advised of the mistake at the earliest opportunity and you will then have the option either to pay the correct price for the travel arrangements or to cancel and receive a full refund of any monies you may already have paid.

I'm not sure that those conditions are legal.

It's one things to advertise/promote an incorrect price and to refuse to sell at that price.

It's a different thing to make a sale, take the money and then say "oops". In most cases, once the money has been taken, the deal has been done. It's committed.
    Add to that the cancellation fees for the consumer and no corresponding cost to the supplier and you have a potentially unfair contract.

In either case, misleading advertising might be an issue for Trading Standards to take up.
  • budgetflyer
    budgetflyer Posts: 5,949 Forumite
    E + O excepted is standard for t&cs and definitely legal. Its not misleading advertising if its a genuine mistake.
  • Welshdebtor
    Welshdebtor Posts: 628 Forumite
    Package holiday prices can only be increased if it is more than 30 days before your departure, the booking conditions mention surcharges and the increase is due to an increase in transport costs, fees or taxes, or changes in the exchange rate. The tour operator must absorb the first 2% of the increase, and if the increase represents a ‘significant’ change in price (according to ABTA, this means more than 10%), then under the Package Travel Regulations you should be given the opportunity to cancel the holiday. The 10% figure is only a guide, and a smaller percentage increase could still be ‘significant’ on expensive holidays.
    Here to learn and pass on my experiences.
    Had a total of £8200 of debt written off due to harassment during 2010 and 2012.
  • Welshdebtor
    Regulation 12 states that a term is implied into every contract that – “where the organiser is constrained before the departure to alter significantly an essential term of the contract, such as the price (so far as regulation 11 permits him to do so), he will notify the consumer as quickly as possible in order for him to take appropriate decisions and in particular to withdraw from the contract without penalty or to accept a rider to the contract specifying the alterations made and their impact on the price – the consumer will inform the organiser or the retailer of his decision as soon as possible”

Reg 11.................

Price revision

11.—(1) Any term in a contract to the effect that the prices laid down in the contract may be revised shall be void and of no effect unless the contract provides for the possibility of upward or downward revision and satisfies the conditions laid down in paragraph (2) below.
    (2) The conditions mentioned in paragraph (1) are that—
    (a)the contract states precisely how the revised price is to be calculated;
    (b)the contract provides that price revisions are to be made solely to allow for variations in:—
    (i)transportation costs, including the cost of fuel,
    (ii)dues, taxes or fees chargeable for services such as landing taxes or embarkation or disembarkation fees at ports and airports, or
    (iii)the exchange rates applied to the particular package; and
    (3) Notwithstanding any terms of a contract,
    (i)no price increase may be made in a specified period which may not be less than 30 days before the departure date stipulated; and
    (ii)as against an individual consumer liable under the contract, no price increase may be made in respect of variations which would produce an increase of less than 2%, or such greater percentage as the contract may specify, (“non-eligible variations”) and that the non-eligible variations shall be left out of account in the calculation.

So they can take their T&C's and shove it where the sun does not shine because they gave you less than 30 days notice :) (If I have read them correctly)
    Had a total of £8200 of debt written off due to harassment during 2010 and 2012.
  • budgetflyer
    budgetflyer Posts: 5,949 Forumite
    That's for price increases ie inflation etc. It doesn't cover MISTAKES. A MISTAKE is not legally binding.
  • Welshdebtor
    edited 1 June 2011 at 5:16PM
    From CAB.

Prices - what the law says
    The law says that all holiday brochures must give the price legibly, comprehensibly and accurately. Once confirmed, the price of the holiday can be increased only if the booking conditions state that this is allowable and the increase is for one of the following reasons:

• an increase in transport costs, for example, fuel; or
    • to cover fees and taxes for services, such as landing fees; or
    • variations in the exchange rate.

If the contract allows for an increase in price, the first 2% must be absorbed by the tour operator. If the increase is significant, you should be given the opportunity to cancel the holiday. No price increase should be passed on in the period 30 days before departure.

My point is (and excuse me if I am wrong) the huge increase in price for the OP, does not fall into any of the above accepted reasons.
  • Welshdebtor
    edited 1 June 2011 at 5:04PM
    Or lets pretend the item bought is not a holiday but something else (or indeed I have experience with a hotel price on the internet as well)

I go into WH Smith and see a A4 Ring Binder for 99p, I get to the till and before I hand over money,the assistant says sorry it is meant to be 2.99. legally I am stuffed, so either have to pay 2.99 or leave without the binder.

However if I get to the till, pay the 99p and on the way out or indeed if they should ring me when I get home etc "Saying excuse me we made a mistake we should of charged you 2.99, can you come back and pay it?" I do not have to and have the law on my side.

I have also used this successfully via consumer direct for a mispriced hotel stay. I paid £150 less than it should of been due to the agents mistake.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure