Starting again, 1% at a time. 100 ways to make £80!

Comments

• Hi, I was wondering about doing online restaurant reviews, there are lots of independent restaurants in my area- is there somewhere you can do it online and get paid for it? (UK only) Has anyone tried to do this and had any luck?
  • I mean I know its only going to be pennies or amazon vouchers or whatever, but every little helps, eh?
  • 415SanFran
    415SanFran Posts: 743 Forumite
    Isn't that a little like mystery shopping?
    No idea how to find out about it though.

@Linpaul, yes they do deliver to NI but it costs about 12 GBP to you, so you have to make it worth it's while.
    I used to order about once a month, haven't ordered for a while but still have stacks of stuff left, when I had no transport it was so much easier for tinned goods and the like, or soup pulses for 99p a CASE. I am still using shampoo and shower gel that worked out @ 50p a bottle. No brand but it does the job. Once a month I would save between 50 and 100 gbp.
    Ebay 13 ;)........1583.46/2000.00 Amazon sales 54/50 Etsy sales 63/50
    Amazon 14.......4/50 Etsy14............46/75. Ebay........23/200
  • skintsue
    skintsue Posts: 172 Forumite
    Brilliant news, LittleMiss. Really well done :T

I've started making my list on how to get the £2503 I need by the end of the month in order to add my share to "the pot".

With regard to the crafting I do, I dable in most things including cardmaking, scrapbooking, sewing and other bits and pieces. I tried hewellery making once but found it too fiddly for my fat little fingers - does stop me buying beautiful beads though!!!!! ;)

Good luck with your progress xxxxx

I am getting rid of a load of my crafting stuff on e-bay shortly, especially the more fiddly stuff that I can't use any more since my stroke.
    There is no point in holding onto stuff that I will probably not be able to use for ages - if ever again!
    I'm keeping the beads I have as I find I can use them for therapy (threading and hand/eye co-ordination), and creating ANYTHING is encouraging.
    I've tons of die cutters and fancy papers etc which I can't use - the die cutter machine is too heavy and tricky to wind the bits through like a pasta maker - so I am going to do a 99/1% split on anything I can sell.
    99% towards buying an easier to get around kitchen and 1% towards buying some clothes that are easier to get into (no side zips, buttons round the back or snug fitting).
    I've also got loads of books that I've finished with, so they will be listed on Amazon and Greenmetropolis to go towards the funds.

Good Luck. I think the %'age idea is great. It makes things seem to be more achievable.
    Small Steps.
    I divorced my First Husband on Religious Grounds:A
    He thought He was God. I didn't!;)
  • shoe_gal_84
    shoe_gal_84 Posts: 179 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Little Miss-Uni Debt, I have loved reading this. It's such a unique way to look at it, and it seems to make paying money back exciting!

A couple of ideas that I use:

* Selling on Facebook - have a look as there are probably selling groups set up for your area. I'm in a number called 'Things for sale in...'
    * Selling on Gumtree - seems to be pretty popular again at the minute, and it's free to lsit.
    * Surveys - I used Valued Opinions and Maximiles to get vouchers and use MySurvey which cane give vouchers or a Paypal payment. They add up fairly quickly.
    * Boots Advantage Card points. I once bought a £50 bottle of perfume with my points and decided I didn't like it. Sold it on Ebay (minus box and a bit of perfume) for over £50!!!
    * Tesco Clubcard Points - They are worth 3 times as much on certain things, can you use them for this to maximise your earnings?
    * Scrap metal - This may sound odd, but if you have any scrap metal around the house, take it to a scrapyard. We had our boiler redone and took all random bits of metal and it was worth £170 - amazing!

This thread has inspired me to join DooYoo to try and earn some more cash!

I really look forward to following it to see you hit your target!
    Finally, debt free for the first time since I was 18!:D
    First baby born: 21/05/2014
    Second baby born: 04/03/2017
  • LisaJane
    LisaJane Posts: 355 Forumite
    I wish I did, I've been using survey sites since jan 2012 and still haven't got enough to get anything.

Hi, I started using valued opinions in January and eventually was able to claim a £10 voucher for Tes*o about 2 months ago. It was boring work and I wouldn't do it again, but if you have a bit of time on your hands and feel like you could be doing with the extra cash...it is an easy way to get some extra money!
    Save 12k in 2014 (my target: £10 000):
    My savings: £4878.54/£7000
    Joint account savings: £2685.57/£3000
    Total:£7564.11/£10 000 (as at 26/10/14)
  • LisaJane
    LisaJane Posts: 355 Forumite
    Hi all. This thread is great, I have been through a lot of this stuff in the past and know that it is hard work to do surveys, sell stuff on the internet etc so well done to all of you!

I just wanted to share that the best thing that I have done was to advertise myself on Gumtree as a piano teacher. I had never taught before and to be honest am not even particularly good at playing the piano myself! Although I do have my grade 6. So I priced myself low and was honest with clients about my lack of experiece and as a result was completely inundated with people wanting to take up my services. My name and number was even circulated around a local primary school. I now teach only 3 children as my full time job and other things in my life don't allow for any more than this. However I could potentially be doing it as a full time job judging by the number of people that I have had to turn down. I have recently put my first child through her grade 1 and she passed with flying colours and now I have established myself I have felt confident enough to put my prices up. I actually earn more per hour doing it than I do in my full time job!

So I just want to say if any of you have a talent for a musical instrument...use Gumtree and get teaching!!
    Save 12k in 2014 (my target: £10 000):
    My savings: £4878.54/£7000
    Joint account savings: £2685.57/£3000
    Total:£7564.11/£10 000 (as at 26/10/14)
  • 415SanFran
    Yeah scrap metal is a good one, my son's best friend is a trainee plumber, and he saves in the van all the little bits left over and weighs it in once a fortnight, I know he says that the average is about 200 a month extra for him, because the boss "can't be bothered"

I really must have a look at selling on facebook, I don't even have an account right now, but, if I do sell like that, does it mean that people will be coming to the door?
    I have some heavy stuff that I could sell though, like a drill still in the package, never opened. Too heavy to post.
  • 415SanFran
    Is it free to advertise on gumtree?, as I read tarot cards, so far I have done it over the phone (that is how I work best) after the money has been put in the post, but there must be an eisier way
  • shrimpy_80
    shrimpy_80 Posts: 1,631 Forumite
    Ooooh Little Miss, you are in Martin's weekly email! This thread is the DFW thread of the week! :beer:
    Barclaycard [STRIKE]£7,296.35[/STRIKE] £6134.99 - MBNA [STRIKE]£4,182.88[/STRIKE] £3267.08 - O/draft [STRIKE]£569.31[/STRIKE] £413.59 - Capital One [STRIKE]£1477.55[/STRIKE] £1451.44
    Total debt [STRIKE]£12048.54[/STRIKE] £11267.10 6% paid
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport