At the supermarket... official MoneySavingExpert.com discussion

Former_MSE_Lawrence
Former_MSE_Lawrence Posts: 975 Forumite
edited 12 August 2013 at 4:14PM in Boost your income
This thread is now closed. There is a new one here.

Many thanks,
MSE Becca

This is a special discussion as part of the

article, all about

Working at the supermarket

which is part of the Work, work, work section

Please feel free to add your comments, suggestions or questions
Just click reply

Comments

• Hi there anyone know if supermarkets still do night-time shelf stacking? and if so, is it minimum wage??
    thanks!
    LP
    xox
  • tara28
    tara28 Posts: 58 Forumite
    i work for asda and get just under 8 quid an hour
  • Hi

I'm thinking of working in a supermarket short term whilst I make a career change, I'm particularly looking at sainsburys as it is closest. Can anyone tell me what the shift times are, or are they flexible? Also any rough idea of wage?
  • Badger_Lady
    Badger_Lady Posts: 6,264 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I worked part-time at Tesco for several months before getting a promotion. The best way to find out about what's on offer is to ask in-store - they usually have a standard recruitment pack that they can give you, including leaflets describing the work and an application form. Tesco also have a short "personality" quiz (I spent some time marking these!).

The application pack I received was really quite generic, and was enough to get you in for an interview and discuss the hours / roles you'd be interested in / are available.

I think I had the ideal job - I did 7-10am on weekdays only (full-time job were happy for me to do 10am-6pm), and my job was to price goods up, mostly applying discounts to things.

It was very quiet at that time of the morning (low risk of bumping into colleagues) and I could go back in and buy all the bargains after my shift... My best buy was a batch of Seimens Poppy phones that had been marked down 60%, and I sold them on eBay for their original price!
    Mortgage | £145,000Unsecured Debt | [strike]£7,000[/strike] £0 Lodgers | |
  • Thanks, thats really helpful. I just need something to tide me over whilst I do some unpaid work experience so it sounds like it is definately going to be an option!
  • I did temp night shift at Sainsbury, approx 7.50 an hour, good, but i'd reccommend for this shift a very local branch, mine was a bit of a trek which is no fun for this shift.
  • I worked at ASDA and Sainsburys (part time then full time) so can give advice if anyone needs anything.

ASDA nightshift is hard work, not that anyone is scared of it, but it's really hard going,
  • Can anyone tell me if any of the supermarkets would be looking for someone who could only work weekends? and does anyone know how long the shifts are? Or does anyone have any ideas for work in the evening every other week? or evening weekend work (already got a part time job, but it's only every other week and I have my son to look after at weekends in the day) tks in advance.
  • Lou3000
    Lou3000 Posts: 131 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I've worked in our local Co-op supermarket for 12 months. They pay £5.61 per hour - which of course is taxed! They do have 10% discount which is something, I suppose :confused: I work weekends but we don't get double-time, just normal rate.

The problem, I've found, with working in the supermarket is that very often we are short staffed. This being the case, it's rare for them to take on new staff who specify the times they prefer to work. The only thing I was able to choose was if I didn't want to work the late shift (1-10), but I've had to do it lots of times when we are short staffed.

Depends which supermarket you are lucky enough to work for, I suppose. Ours is the only supermarket in the area so it's a case of them or nothing. I have a friend who works at Tescos in Glasgow and she earns about £8 an hour - and her cost of living is half that of mine plus Tescos stuff is much cheaper. :confused: so her discount gets her even more for her money :o
    I don't drink, don't smoke, don't go out - why aren't I rich?
    Don't worry, I'm working on it! :p
  • debrag
    debrag Posts: 3,426 Forumite
    Do suprmarkets usually advertise in store? I mean do they have a poster or board? I'm looking at evening/weekend work - after 6pm evenings, all day Sunday & afternoon/evening saturdays. Am I not being flexible?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure