Looking for a decent Road Bike

Options
124»

Comments

• liz545
    liz545 Posts: 1,726 Forumite
    Options
    Innys1 wrote: »
    I'd agree with this, but only up to a point.

There are some very strong locks out there which would take more than 10 minutes to remove with any power tools. Of course, they aren't cheap. The rough rule of thumb is to spend 10% of the cost of the bike on security.

There's other free things you can do to deter theft too - chain within close view of a CCTV camera (if you can), don't leave chained overnight unless you have NO other option and chain both wheels and the frame to the bike stand.

Oh yes, bike theft is rife, but that doesn't mean you have to be a victim.

Agreed - my commuter bike is locked up outside and I've never had a problem with theft. I use a Kryptonite d-lock through the frame and rear wheel (never just through the top tube) and have a nutted axle rather than quick release on the front wheel - a Krypto cable or pitlock skewer on the front would also be an option.

You're less likely to have someone steal the components from a hybrid bike than a road bike, unless you leave it for days on end and someone starts stripping it. There is a problem with people stealing handlebars and shifters from road bikes, but you can reduce the risk by picking your parking location well and using good locking technique.

Oh, and never leave any bike locked near Brick Lane for any length of time ever. Bike theft hotspot!
    2015 comp wins - £370.25
    Recent wins: gym class, baby stuff
    Thanks to everyone who posts freebies and comps! :j
  • Rebecca_Palmer
    Options
    Hi, I think if you are on a budget you should be considering a second hand road bikes. I think, there are still quality bikes there that fall with the price you can pay. However, there are also some deals out there, when I was browsing I found Viking Jetstream on sale. You may want to check on it now.
  • dandelionclock30
    Options
    Innys1 wrote: »
    I'd agree with this, but only up to a point.

There are some very strong locks out there which would take more than 10 minutes to remove with any power tools. Of course, they aren't cheap. The rough rule of thumb is to spend 10% of the cost of the bike on security.

There's other free things you can do to deter theft too - chain within close view of a CCTV camera (if you can), don't leave chained overnight unless you have NO other option and chain both wheels and the frame to the bike stand.

Oh yes, bike theft is rife, but that doesn't mean you have to be a victim.

I have been told that you can remove them all, with the best angle grinders in less than 10 minutes.You tell me which lock takes longer with evidence as well because I dont believe it.
    CCTV is not much deterrant as they can be grainy and for a prosecution to be successfull then they have to get a good shot of the face as well. This is what the police told me when mine was stolen and it was caught on CCTV. If someone is in a hooded top with their face covered then not much can be done.
  • fred246
    fred246 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I think everyone has to analyse the security of their bike according to their needs and the area in which they live. I leave a Granit 54 lock at my workplace. It may be able to be cut by angle grinders but they would need power. If someone parked with a van with a generator and started at my bike I hope someone would challenge them. The wheels are pitlocked on. I always feel that thieves seem to target mountain bikes with suspension and disc brakes. I have a quality bike with lots of black insulation tape on it and mudguards. The lads at football laugh at it even those arriving on £99 Tesco bikes. Opportunist thief would leave it alone, a professional would recognise the quality.
  • Mankysteve
    Mankysteve Posts: 4,257 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    sarah_id1 wrote: »
    My journey is in Central London. People advice for daily road commute it has to be road bike. I am tempted to buy a boardman which is on offer(15% off) in Halfords. Are they better than Carrera?

Durable Component is what I am after rather than model and year.

Go try a hybrid and road bike. Hybrids are much better for commuting. Hybrids are not light duty off road bikes they are road bikes but more practical than a racer

A hybrid will be able to take mug guards and pannier rack. Only rare racers will give you that ability.

Hybrids are more comfortable and you can be on the brakes with proper control rather than using drops which forces you to drop your head and reduces your ability to see whats going on around you.
  • Auntie-Dolly
    Options
    I bought a Ridgeback Avenida 6 for my 7 mile commute. I would go for one with more gears next time as my route is quite hilly, but its a nice bike for work.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure