Vodafone to Change Prices from 11 Oct 2011

Comments

• nickmack
    nickmack Posts: 4,435 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    What makes this more annoying is the fluff Vodafone use to try and explain the change of rounding up to the nearest 50p:

'we're simplifying our existing line rental prices'

As if customers are complete morons and can only deal with pounds and half pounds!
  • qpop
    qpop Posts: 555 Forumite
    @tehjumpingjawa;

I copy/pasted that from an Excel spreadsheet I'd done, and only really copied over stuff that had changed (or at least, that was on the table) - My minimum call charge was always 1 minute, since I joined last year, so I didn't include it. As I said, I wrote that table for me, and then thought others might benefit from the info.

Either way you'll have to prove it's to your detriment, i.e. show that based on your last months bill on the new prices it would be more than 10% difference. If you can show that they should cancel your contract for you
    I am an IFA, but nothing I say on this forum constitutes financial advice. Always draw your own conclusions and always do your own research.
  • TehJumpingJawa
    TehJumpingJawa Posts: 656 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 16 September 2011 at 11:38AM
    qpop wrote: »
    @tehjumpingjawa;

I copy/pasted that from an Excel spreadsheet I'd done, and only really copied over stuff that had changed (or at least, that was on the table) - My minimum call charge was always 1 minute, since I joined last year, so I didn't include it. As I said, I wrote that table for me, and then thought others might benefit from the info.

Ah I see, my contract is older - 16 months into a 24 month (£10/month) contract.
    Still worth escaping though, especially given the Galaxy S@£10/m on voda is available via Quidco atm. (though expires on Sunday!)
    Either way you'll have to prove it's to your detriment, i.e. show that based on your last months bill on the new prices it would be more than 10% difference. If you can show that they should cancel your contract for you
    Yep, that's precisely what i've done; made a spreadsheet that recalculated my most recent bill using the proposed new charges, printed it off, and attached it to a covering letter outlining the contractual clause I wish to exercise in light of their price increases.
  • What is going to make a difference to my bill with Vodafone is that I make a lot of short calls but stay within my included minutes. I may call the same number 10 times and hang up instead of leaving a voicemail. At present 10 x 3 second calls takes 30 seconds off my included minutes but as of 11th of October it will be taking 10 minutes off my allowance. Therefore I will use up my allowance quicker and start getting charged for my calls. If this happens then I will be using this to get reinstated on the old tariff or cancelling the contract.
  • abdn123 wrote: »
    What is going to make a difference to my bill with Vodafone is that I make a lot of short calls but stay within my included minutes. I may call the same number 10 times and hang up instead of leaving a voicemail. At present 10 x 3 second calls takes 30 seconds off my included minutes but as of 11th of October it will be taking 10 minutes off my allowance. Therefore I will use up my allowance quicker and start getting charged for my calls. If this happens then I will be using this to get reinstated on the old tariff or cancelling the contract.

I do the same and like vodafone for that reason just adding up the seconds and not rounding it up to the minute.with that and the data charges changing it will affect my overall bill alot.i am really not happy about this. My call charges are at the higher rate anyway but as I said I went with vodafone for the.out of bundle data charges as I sometimes go over and how it uses the minutes by adding the call seconds not rounding them up.
  • You're saying if you can show a 10% increase you can cancel. Is that in terms of 10% of extra charges after all minutes used, or 10% increase in the number of minutes used within the allowance?
  • You're saying if you can show a 10% increase you can cancel. Is that in terms of 10% of extra charges after all minutes used, or 10% increase in the number of minutes used within the allowance?

10% increase in the total cost of your bill, based on the most recent bill.
  • TehJumpingJawa
    TehJumpingJawa Posts: 656 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 17 September 2011 at 12:57PM
    moty1984 wrote: »
    I do the same and like vodafone for that reason just adding up the seconds and not rounding it up to the minute.with that and the data charges changing it will affect my overall bill alot.i am really not happy about this. My call charges are at the higher rate anyway but as I said I went with vodafone for the.out of bundle data charges as I sometimes go over and how it uses the minutes by adding the call seconds not rounding them up.

I hadn't considered that the new 1 minute minimum call charge would effect the monthly allowance usage..... if it does that's an enormous change !

Updated my spreadsheet to include this, and it changes my previous month's bill from what was a 36.94% increase upto massive 60.62% increase!
    (FYI rounding min call durations upto 1 minute increased my total number of used minutes by 20.14%; from 2:00:10 up to 2:24:22)
  • 10% increase in the total cost of your bill, based on the most recent bill.

might sound a bit dense here but how can you calculate it using the previous months bill?
  • I had a lengthy conversation with vodafone yesterday about this and also a complete mess up with a data package whilst abroad ( predictable!) The response was fluffy and scripted as it always is, I complained about it in July when they did it before. Since being with these cowboys they have just been awful, a category of failures in customer service, any way yesterday I asked to terminate and pay off the line rental only to be quoted almost the same again in early cancelations charges! I thought the guys maths must be bad? But no, 240£ for cancelation and 340 for line rental! I have never paid to leave (for example O2 ). Well enough is enough, ombudsman has been emailed my case has been opened, I feel better, even if just to feel like someone will listen. I'm just sick to death that they can treat customers this way. I hope we all have some luck with these clowns!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure