PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Freezing - Tips and Quick Questions thread

Comments

• KatP wrote: »
    Oh and where can I get those foil containers with card lids on? I want to be able to make and freeze individual portions of lasagne and shepherd's pie etc and bang them straight in the oven to defrost and brown, rather than having to transfer them from a tupperware. I have some oven and freezer proof crockery but don't want that all living in the freezer, and it wouldn't stack well either.

I freeze individual portions of food in foil containers. They are great because you can get them straight out of the freezer in the morning, leave to defrost during the day and at night put them into the oven to cook. Once I've used them I just throw them away.
    I buy mine in Wilkinsons - a pack of 5 large (I find this makes one generous portion on its own as a main meal) complete with lids is about 90p. A pack of 10 small ones is about the same (these are fine for one portion with something else either rice/pasta etc.) They also sell them in my local Tescos - a pack of 10 large containers is £2.00 so not that much of a difference in price. HTH
  • jackie_w
    jackie_w Posts: 1,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hello

I was given a juicer and have started making juices and smoothies with fruit and veg. Can I freeze these?

Thank you

Jackie xx
  • Gigervamp
    Gigervamp Posts: 6,583 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Yes. It might be an idea to freeze them first in ice-cube trays or silicon cupcake/muffin trays. Then it will be easier to use as much or as little as you want. (An icecube sized portion would be just the right size to stir into yoghurt or porridge.)
  • winniepooh
    winniepooh Posts: 943 Forumite
    We have loads left over this week.

Can I freeze

green beans (cooked)
    Cabbage and Leek (cooked)
    Roast Pots (cooked)
    Gravy
    I'm trying so hard to be thrifty, but it doesn't come naturally. You lot are an inspiration!
    JUST LOVES THE O/S BOARD
  • Why freeze? I'd be having that for Monday night's dinner with an extra, fresh veg. Yummy
  • julieq
    julieq Posts: 2,603 Forumite
    That would be the basis of a very nice pie too :)
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    winniepooh wrote: »
    We have loads left over this week.

Can I freeze

green beans (cooked)
    Cabbage and Leek (cooked)
    Roast Pots (cooked)
    Gravy

Yes you can freeze them all, but I would go with the earlier suggestions of using them up tomorrow with dinner or in a pie.

I've added your post to the Quick Questions on Freezing thread as your question may help others.

Pink
  • I froze some leftover crumble mix. Just in a chinese meal type box. It stayed as crumbs didn't turn into a brick. It was not packed tightly though.
    Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination:beer:

Oscar Wilde
  • newlywed
    newlywed Posts: 8,255 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Can I freeze cooked damson pie???? Will the pastry go soggy?

If it's going to be ok, then I need to buy more damsons!!! :D:D:D
    working on clearing the clutterDo I want the stuff or the space?
  • Chris25
    Chris25 Posts: 12,918 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I froze some leftover crumble mix. Just in a chinese meal type box. It stayed as crumbs didn't turn into a brick. It was not packed tightly though.

For a few pennies, I got some broken cheese straws from the bakers at closing time. I crumbled & froze them and the bits have stayed separate.

I Used first batch as topping for cauliflower cheese - lovely! I thought I might use another as a topping for braising steak, so as to end up with a pie of sorts, which will leave me with one more left - only cost about 40p in total. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure