Alliance & Leicester (merged)

I sent my data access request letter, and within the 40 day period I have recieved absolutely nothing from Alliance and Leicester, no confirmation despite chaser letters being sent recorded delivery, although they were pretty quick to cash my £10 cheque!!

I sent an e-mail to the managing director of A&L this morning saying I'd be taking court action against them if I don't get my info in the next 7 days. We will see!!
:beer: Have champagne tastes...but got a beer budget!!:beer:

Comments

• Hi :)

My mother has managed to incur an overdraft charge of £25 plus an extra two overdraft charges (2 x £25) for going over the limit due to not transferring enough money in from an A&L savings account in time. And 8p in interest charges.

So, that's £75.08, for going £38 overdrawn :confused:

Anyway, she's given them a call and they've refunded half of one of the charges but I'm not happy about this, they have taken advantage of her and I'm planning on using Martin's amazing new article to get back her money. We are not an affluent family by any means and can not afford this.

I'm currently using the template off the article to get her charges back, but has anyone dealt with A&L before? I've done a search and not yielded much so if anyone can help we'll be very grateful. Are they good at giving all the money back or do they whimper and squeal before giving a decent reply?

Thank you in advance :)
    spacey :)
  • I am considering claiming bank charges from Alliance and Leicester but the charges are the only complaint about them and I live out in the wilds so need to bank at the post office.Would I be shooting myself in the foot by trying to claim?:confused:
    Mutual Supporters club member (Nov 2006)

:EasterBun
  • Success!!!!! :D:D:D

Received a letter from A&L this morning with refund of all charges :T

Huge thanks to Martin and the article :beer: :D

Now we will switch to Nationwide :rotfl: who've given us a free £150 overdraft so that if we do go below £0 we won't be charged hefty fees :T
    spacey :)
  • Hi,
    I'll be trying the same - A&L again. One d/d went through a day before I expected. I used the telebank service and they told me I was £15 overdrawn. Enough money deposited next morning to cover and bring account back into balance. On checking they had returned the d/d for £35 unpaid and levied charges of £34 which had overdrawn the account. They then sent me 2 letters in the same day - one advising of the £34 charge and another re the unauthorised overdraft advising they will charge another £20 for this. My letter is on their way to them as we speak!!!!
  • richardvc
    richardvc Posts: 1,164
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    I am in the process of claiming my bank charges back from A&L and Amex.

Sent off my 40 day letters to both and received Amex statements back in no time and have sent my 14 day claim to them.

The 40 day DPA deadline was yesterday and I have heard nothing from A&L - I telephoned them and they told me that they had posted them second class on the 16th (it is now the 26th).

Whilst I know I should report them to the commissioner, I still won't have received my statements. What is my next move ?
    Thanks to MSE I cleared £37k of debt in five years and I was lucky enough to meet Martin to thank him personally.
  • Rex_Mundi
    Rex_Mundi Posts: 6,315
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    richardvc wrote:
    The 40 day DPA deadline was yesterday and I have heard nothing from A&L - I telephoned them and they told me that they had posted them second class on the 16th (it is now the 26th).

Whilst I know I should report them to the commissioner, I still won't have received my statements. What is my next move ?

I had this situation with one DPA request and Natwest. This is the body of the letter I sent as soon as the 40 day time limit was up. The letter was sent registered post to arrive the next day. Two days after sending the letter, Natwest were on the phone saying that the statements are on their way. They arrived another two days later. Fill in your details where needed, this should get A&L moving.

(text of letter)................

ACCOUNT NUMBER XXXXXXXX

I sent a letter and £10 cheque on the [insert date of first request] requesting six years of bank statements as is my right under the Data Protection Act. I have been expecting copies of my statements within the 40 days stipulated under the D.P.A. As yet I have not received any correspondence from you.
    By not supplying the information I requested, you have breached my rights under the D.P.A. You leave me with no alternative that if I do not receive copies of my bank statements within the next seven days, I will forward copies of my requests to the Information Commissioner.

I look forward to your timely response.

Find enclosed a copy of my original letter.
    How many surrealists does it take to change a lightbulb?
    Fish
  • Hello everyone, I sent a letter to Alliance and Leicester which was a template on the 8th October, they cashed my cheque for £10 on the 19th October, it is now the 28th November and I have still not had any reply AT ALL from them, I have rang them twice and they have told me I will get it ASAP, what can I do now? Please help me x
  • Rex_Mundi
    Rex_Mundi Posts: 6,315
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Use the template letter in my post above yours. This should get them moving.
    How many surrealists does it take to change a lightbulb?
    Fish
  • It would seem that A&L are quite tardy at replying, please see the previous posts in this thread.
  • oh yes i see, at least i am not alne, thank you so much for the template rex_mundi, this will be sent first thing in the morning!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure