Doing a VT with Black Horse - collection of car

Hi, apologies If this in wrong place.

I'm doing a voluntary termination or my car finance with black horse and have the documents to send back etc. They have said I need to pay £75 to get it collected by one if their agents or drop it off.

I've SORN'd car so I can't unless I taxed it again and the got a day's insurance on it I can't drop it off at the auction place.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows when you do pay the £75 do they physically drive it away or take it away on a back of a truck? Reason I ask is that the car does drive but it's a turbo diesel and the turbo has seized so is slow.

I don't want them to turn up to drive away it to then not be prepared to drive it away because of this problem, meaning I will have to mess around. Like I say, the car does drive but has no boost so is slow.

Any help or advice appreciated!

Thanks!

Comments

• MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Are they aware of the fault?

I would expect that, even with VT, the car should be returned in serviceable condition and they will look to you to cover the cost of the repair.
  • The cost of the repair is more than what's left to pay on vehicle - if it's getting auctioned off do you think they will still look to recover?
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,818 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    The cost of the repair is more than what's left to pay on vehicle - if it's getting auctioned off do you think they will still look to recover?
    Yes, if the car is not in full working condition you will be billed for the repair. A no working turbo severely reduces the value of the car so they will want it fixed at your cost.
  • Ah ok. Sounds like I would be better off just letting it rot on drive for the next 2 years and paying off the £43 a month payments!

Ive bought a banger in the meantime but it's parked in the road, so ideally want it off the driveway!
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    The cost to repair the turbo will be far higher with them doing it than you could find yourself.

They will be quoting for dealership prices so you should really just pay it off then sell it, or better still just sell it now and use the money to pay the finance off.

Whats the car? With only about a grand left to pay you might cover most of it with selling it for repair. Plenty people buy this type of car to fix themselves as they can fix them much cheaper.
  • It's a ford focus 1.6 tdci. Could I still sell with their being outstanding finance though if I was to use money to settle?
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 March 2018 at 6:52PM
    It's a ford focus 1.6 tdci. Could I still sell with their being outstanding finance though if I was to use money to settle?

You sell it but explain to the buyer the finance will be paid.
    Probably easier if the buyer does this when they collect eg you dial the number for BH hand phone to buyer, they settle the finance and the buyer gives you any extra in cash.
  • Outstanding finance is more than what car for with a knackered turbo would sell for so that might not work for me. Do lender's ever let you settle the outstanding payments in instalments if I was to pay a chunk off?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 19 March 2018 at 12:37PM
    Ah ok. Sounds like I would be better off just letting it rot on drive for the next 2 years and paying off the £43 a month payments!

Ive bought a banger in the meantime but it's parked in the road, so ideally want it off the driveway!

Or just fix the turbo. They're not expensive, reconditioned ones are a couple of hundred quid and an hour or so labour to change. The amount of money you've just paid on the banger would have fixed your car.

Here you go, £156 on Ebay. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-FOCUS-TURBO-TURBOCHARGER-1-6-DIESEL-TDCi-DV6-ENGINE-110PS-BHP-BRAND-NEW-/273056513458
  • Thanks for replies.
    Definitely made me rethink a VT based on probability that I could get seriously screwed over if they charge for full repair.

Problem with my car is that it's not just the turbo, the DPF also needs cleaning as its blocked with ash which is an off the car repair. Also, there is a leak on one of the injectors.

However, as I've got a car to use in meantime and have got plenty of time I probably am now after help/advice on this forum I will try and sort all these jobs and get car running again.

Part of me just wanted rid but it could be a good thing to keep of. Worst comes to worse I'll Just sell it for spares and settle loan if I struggle to get the jobs done myself.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure