Childrens' savings/investments/pensions

Comments

• ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    edited 23 February 2018 at 5:31PM
    aj23 wrote: »
    The Coventry Junior ISA would return £16.80, not £9 as claimed above. That is wrong. Type £480 in the calculator in the box MSE provides for the listing and it will say £16.80, and this will compound annually with your subsequent year on year monthly deposits.

Oh dear. I wasn't going to quote you because you told me not to and I don't like upsetting children, but you continue to post incorrect information.
    It doesn't work like a regular saver, where you get the interest rate on the average balance. This is an ISA where the interest is calculated daily and paid annually on the full balance, not the average balance. That's how all ISA's work.

Yes, interest is calculated daily, but only on the money that currently resides in the account, not on some projected figure that someone might have at the end of the year. It works exactly like a regular saver!
    It doesn't matter if you drip feed the £480, or lump deposit the £480, you will still get £16.80 after 12 months. As I said, this isn't regular saver where interest is accrued differently to an ISA.

Yes it does matter if you drip feed the money in or not. They only pay interest on the balance that is in your account at any given time. Once again, you are demonstrating that you don't know how interest actually works.
    As MallyGirl said, Junior ISAs, and in turn, ISAs, work like normal savings account and pay interest on the balance, not the average balance.

Yes, they do work like a non-tax privileged savings account, but that doesn't mean they pay you 3.5% (or whatever the headline rate is) on the full year end balance unless that was the opening balance too. Interest is calculated daily (you were at least correct about that), but only on what is in the account at the time.
    With regard to pensions, bare in mind that this won't be accessible in part until you're child is (at present) 55 year old, where he or she can take out 25% tax free, but state pension age will most likely be in the 70s by the time your child reaches 55.

So, firstly, just to be clear, you do admit that you were wrong in saying that a pension couldn't be opened for a child?

You are speculating about what that child's NPA would be. You may be proved right in your speculation, but it is, at present, just speculation.

More importantly, it is irrelevant what that child's NPA will turn out to be, because the pension will still provide an income in retirement. When that retirement happens is neither here nor there. Furthermore, the longer money is invested in the markets the longer it has to grow in value. Investing sooner rather than later is actually a positive in favour of realising good returns.
    I'm guessing you want something where you child has funds at 18, for university, car, house deposit etc., which someone above has not factored in.

Why are you guessing what the OP wants? If you are unsure then ask. (Hint: they've already told you that they are looking at two distinct timescales; one to the child's 18th birthday, and the other for the child's retirement).

Suggesting an S&S JISA for a 2 year old is entirely consistent with delivering positive returns when they reach 18. The investment timeframe is suitably long enough, but if you don't believe me ask many of the other people on these forums who invest for themselves (in ISAs, SIPPs and GIAs) and for their children (in JISAs).
    It's also relevant that retirement will go up as people are living longer and we need more taxes for supporting out services. It's a realty that millennial and future generations will be working longer, and will need more money for supporting themselves prior to retirement as the rate of rising living costs.

This has nothing to do with the OP's question.

Their child will, we assume, work and receive a salary or wage for doing so, and therefore have money to live on while they are working.

Your assumption about rising cost of living ignores the potential rise in incomes too.

Yes, you will be paying for my retirement, however. So, thanks for that! :)
  • aj23_2
    aj23_2 Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    ISA don't work like that.

When I had some a few years ago, one of which I was depositing to almost weekly, and I got 2% on the balance at the end which was pretty much as I had forecasted.

I also had another one with the same provider from the previous year that I only deposited to once, and I got 2% on the balance on that one as well and my forecast was correct.

One was dripfred, one was lump deposit, both gave me the same result in terms of interest accrual end of term, and I got pretty much the same on both of them as the balances were very similar.
  • ValiantSon

When I had some a few years ago, one of which I was depositing to almost weekly, and I got 2% on the balance at the end which was pretty much as I had forecasted.

I also had another one with the same provider from the previous year that I only deposited to once, and I got 2% on the balance on that one as well and my forecast was correct.

One was dripfred, one was lump deposit, both gave me the same result in terms of interest accrual end of term, and I got pretty much the same on both of them as the balances were very similar.

Either your ISA provider can't count, or, more likely, you are wrong.
  • HappyHarry
    HappyHarry Posts: 1,575 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post

Sorry to disappoint you aj23, but ISAs do work like that.

ValiantSon is quite correct.

You may think you have had a different experience, but it is unlikely that your ISA provider has thier sums wrong and paid what you think.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser. Any comments I make here are intended for information / discussion only. Nothing I post here should be construed as advice. If you are looking for individual financial advice, please contact a local Independent Financial Adviser.
  • Reaper
    Reaper Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    ValiantSon is correct

Going back to the original question for my son I have 3 types of investments.

* Child Investment Trust with some lump sum money he was given at birth by relatives. This is a Bare Trust. We don't add to it.
    * Junior ISA which we add to each year
    * Child Pension which we add to for now, but I'm not sure for how long.

This gives plenty of flexibility and hopefully covers all eventualities. I would not suggest doing the pension instead of the others, I would only suggest doing it if you have spare funds after sorting out the shorter term investments.
  • liviboy
    liviboy Posts: 544 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Hi all,

Thanks for your replies so far.

Just to confirm, the £40 is very much a ballpark monthly figure which we would increase year-on-year anyway. The idea being

Son already has a Nationwide Smart Limited Access account paying 2.5% and this is currently his main source of savings. He also has a standard smart account with some money in it (£200) which is added to by approximately 1/4 of any birthday/Christmas gift money (rest into the limited one). Idea being is he will have an account with much more access for withdrawals, with a good bit of money in it (for a child) in a few years so if he wants to buy something he can, without it affecting his interest accrual in the limited account.

The £40ish we were just wanting to start off some other, longer term savings but as we are both new to this we've picked an amount that we're happy to "play" with until we are more comfortable in how it all works, if that makes sense.

Ultimately I'd be looking at a few hundred pound per month but be really happy and sure about where we'd are saving/investing.

Just to clarify as well, the pension savings we were looking at was the Aviva through Cavendish.

Cheers again all
  • i would skip the pension altogether. the sort of amounts you mention aren't going to end up producing too much money for a deposit on a house (a big deposit is always better than a small one :)). there's no point in tying some money up until your child is at least 55, while they might be struggling to buy a home.

also, there is higher education. currently, the maintenance loans are not enough to live off (though perhaps corbyn will fix this :)).

cash for short term. S&S JISA for longer term.
  • aj23_2
    aj23_2 Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I'm pleased he already has the Smart Limited Saver. It's great account for long term because of the high balance and year accrual. :beer:
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,588 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    ISA don't work like that..

Just to echo the previous comments, ISAs DO work like that, just as every savings account does. You don't get interest on money not in the account
    Children's regular savers tend to only be for 12 months, and despite paying good rates, they are low max. pay ins, so I don't think that would be good for you, as you'd have to open a new one each year and you'd only get about £10 on your £480.

You seem to have missed the investment part of the OP. Over 18 years I certainly wouldn't be looking at cash savings. It would be far better to use investments and also removes the need to chase best rates all the time.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • ValiantSon
    I'm pleased he already has the Smart Limited Saver. It's great account for long term because of the high balance and year accrual. :beer:

Any time that you wish to apologise for your rude and ignorant behaviour is fine by me.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure