Selling your soul to the devil

Comments

• Misslayed
    Misslayed Posts: 14,173 Senior Ambassador
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    Y'know those gushing, emoji-ridden begging posts?
    What really pees the posters of them off is if folk C&P them....

None of us would that! Would we? Should we? :D:rotfl::D
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Competition Time, Site Feedback and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com All views are my own and not the official line of Money Saving Expert.
  • tesuhoha
    tesuhoha Posts: 17,971 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Thought this one was quite amusing.

my mates mums mums best friends husbands workmates son lad tripped and fell over in the garden killing numerous blades of grass and landed in dog muck.. if I won I would spend it all on beer whilst laughing about it .. .. if I don't win it.
    The forest would be very silent if no birds sang except for the birds that sang the best

• dontone
    dontone Posts: 4,871 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Y'know those gushing, emoji-ridden begging posts?
    What really pees the posters of them off is if folk C&P them....

I once saw someone really go off on one with the whole C&P thing. I think it was about 18 months ago. The poster was ranting about how someone was using the C&P to rip off her posts and, the bit that got me the most, was that she was saying that she had Autism or Aspergers (can't remember which) and she was accusing the post copier of giving her a kind of mental breakdown, because she couldn't cope with all the stealing going on, and because it was probably the reason 'that she wasn't winning anything anymore'. (nothing to do with the 1000's of other entries then?)
    I don't want to make fun of people with these conditions, but it did border on the pathetic, especially when others were pointing out that lots of people C&P'd other peoples posts and it wasn't a big deal, and just block the person doing it.
    I could understand folk getting annoyed it if it was like a caption competition and someone stole the post word for word and won a big prize from someone else's effort (I've seen someone grumble about that on another thread a while ago), but it was for little prizes. That's why I still say that the form app. should be used by companies on FB when doing comps. It would stop a lot of silliness.
    Be Lucky
    BEST EVER WINS WON IN ORDER (so far) = Sony Camcorder, 32" lcd telly, micro ipod hifi, Ipod Nano, Playstation 3, Andrex Jackpup, Holiday to USA, nintendo wii, Liverpool vs Everton tickets, £250 Reward Your thirst, £500 Pepsi, p&o rotterdam trip, perfume hamper, Dr Who stamp set, steam cleaner.

comping = nowt more thrillin' than winnin':T :j
  • dontone wrote: »
    I once saw someone really go off on one with the whole C&P thing. I think it was about 18 months ago. The poster was ranting about how someone was using the C&P to rip off her posts and, the bit that got me the most, was that she was saying that she had Autism or Aspergers (can't remember which) and she was accusing the post copier of giving her a kind of mental breakdown, because she couldn't cope with all the stealing going on, and because it was probably the reason 'that she wasn't winning anything anymore'. (nothing to do with the 1000's of other entries then?)
    I don't want to make fun of people with these conditions, but it did border on the pathetic, especially when others were pointing out that lots of people C&P'd other peoples posts and it wasn't a big deal, and just block the person doing it.
    I could understand folk getting annoyed it if it was like a caption competition and someone stole the post word for word and won a big prize from someone else's effort (I've seen someone grumble about that on another thread a while ago), but it was for little prizes. That's why I still say that the form app. should be used by companies on FB when doing comps. It would stop a lot of silliness.
    Be Lucky

I wish they would use the form app for all of them too.
  • To win a box of chocolates you have to say who you'd share them with.

Sickening. Someone has put up a picture of their child with tubes up their nose saying 'I'd share with my 8 month old when she gets out of hospital'.

How MANY levels is this wrong on? Sadly the people running the competition have pandered to her.
    Why do mice have such small balls?
    Because so few of them can dance.
  • I absolutely hate sob stories - such bad taste. However, I personally HAVE seen multiple sob stories win over the years. I think some companies think - sod the random draw - and give it to them. Which is a shame. Obviously, sad stories some of these things, but everyone has experiences in life and don't sell out to win some cheap prize--- it's not right.
    Comping again after a break..... Bring on the wins!
  • xoxlauraxox
    xoxlauraxox Posts: 3,795 Forumite
    personally ive seen the same person win with the same sob story, so wrong to use such things to gain something and even worse if they are making it up! plebs!!
    Thanks to everyone that posts :T:money:
  • hdh74
    hdh74 Posts: 2,855 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I'm getting so tired of hearing about the 'first time mama to be, due in x weeks and needing a treat' - seriously getting up the duff aint that unique sigh.
    2018 - £562  2019 - £130 2020 - £276  2021 - £106 2022 - £140
  • hdh74
    hdh74 Posts: 2,855 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    This one has really pulled in the sob stories. And it's a fake page anyway which is kind of apt. https://www.facebook.com/1470968246502249/photos/a.1470987529833654.1073741831.1470968246502249/1817309058534831/?type=3&theater

And hee hee at this one:

I would love to win this because I have had a terrible life. At the age of 4 I was sold into slavery and forced to work as a chimney sweep. I had to climb up 200 foot industrial chimneys to scrub them clean. At the age of 11 I was too big for the chimneys so was sold on to a mining company, I spent 23 hours a day in the mines with no light or tools and had to dig the coal out with my bare hands. At the age of 16 I managed to escape to Peru, but unfortunately caught by rebels and forced to fight in their civil war. In my first battle I got shot 16 times and fell into a river barely alive and washed out to sea. I got "saved" by fisherman who patched me up. They forced me to work on their trawler in exchange for saving my life. After 32 years I managed to escape by jumping overboard. I now live in Newport, which is the worst thing ever to of happened to me. So yeah I deserve to win!
    2018 - £562  2019 - £130 2020 - £276  2021 - £106 2022 - £140
  • wonderwallet
    wonderwallet Posts: 462 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 6 March 2017 at 1:58PM
    Lots of sob stories appearing on Interflora's FB page today under an ad for a Bouquet of the Month and the question Who would you give this to? Usual 'to my friend who's just lost her husband, to myself because I've had to give up work due to being disabled, my friend who's had a terrible accident and just come out of a coma, my mum's grave' etc

It's not even a competition! Wonder if they realise!!?? :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport