The Giving Up/ Cutting Down alcohol support thread - number 13

Options

Comments

• Sandypan
    Sandypan Posts: 252 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    2/21 for me as well today.
    Watched Amy Winehouse autopsy programme last night, scary stuff. It appears that she was able to go for long periods without drinking but then binged on drink, drugs and food and that was what killed her.
    DF by Christmas 2014 #78 £18,964.15/£15,000
    DF by Christmas 2015 #07 £16,500/£21,992.92
    DF by Christmas 2016 #42 £4570/£4,500
    CC and loan debt at it's worst April 07 - £54,489 plus
    27/01/14 Officially Debt Free - except mortgage which I'm working on!
    26/02/16 mortgage free
  • Barny1979
    Barny1979 Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    3/25 AFDs today
  • satchmo1
    satchmo1 Posts: 2,750 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Dizzy_Imp wrote: »
    2/21 for me - day from Hell yesterday - puppies chewed the arm of our BRAND NEW sofa. Had I not been so determined to quit drinking, I would have opened a bottle, drunk the lot and beaten them to death with the empty :mad:

Oh, that brings back memories of my puppy Westie chewing the bathroom cork floor tiles when she was teething.... and the "skirt" of our almost brand new sofa....

Glad you didn't beat puppies to death, they bring so much (in the present) joy. My Westie lived an amazing 19 years, and I miss her every day.

Well done on not resorting to alcohol :-)

Me - I've spent 2 hours in A&E this afternoon with mum, who fell walking 30 yards to the postbox to post her son & daughter's birthday cards (my brother & sister). Thankfully, wrist isn't broken, just painfully bruised.

I'm not so strongwilled, though, cos I've got a very large glass of wine. However, I can record 2/14 for yesterday, so I'm still on track, as Saturday's are planned wine nights.
    What would you get if all you got was what you were thankful for?
  • AlexLK
    AlexLK Posts: 6,125 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Well, after saying I was going to only drink at special occasions, I failed miserably. Today is the first AF day I've had in what must be a couple of weeks.

This is all despite the fact I'm not really meant to drink much according to my doctor due to my issues with depression. Quite ashamed, to be honest.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments £5,500
  • Dizzy_Imp
    Dizzy_Imp Posts: 2,755 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    satchmo1 wrote: »
    Oh, that brings back memories of my puppy Westie chewing the bathroom cork floor tiles when she was teething.... and the "skirt" of our almost brand new sofa.... Glad you didn't beat puppies to death, they bring so much (in the present) joy. My Westie lived an amazing 19 years, and I miss her every day.

Well done on not resorting to alcohol :-)

I am so tempted to post one of those "photos of shame" with a notice around their necks telling the world of their behaviour. At six months old and eight stone apiece, you can imagine the extent of the damage done in literally 10 minutes. I should expect it - my older boy chewed an actual hole through a wall when he was a pup. Good job they're cute.

3/21 tonight - really attempting Sober October :o
  • Honey_Bear
    Honey_Bear Posts: 7,080 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Was tempted yesterday - Day 1 for g*d sake :)

Stayed strong
    2/31 100% so far

Day 1 is always the toughest, so good on you, Charmed.
    Dizzy_Imp wrote: »
    2/21 for me - day from Hell yesterday - puppies chewed the arm of our BRAND NEW sofa. Had I not been so determined to quit drinking, I would have opened a bottle, drunk the lot and beaten them to death with the empty :mad:

Was that the same sofa as the chewed cushion was on, Dizzy? And, you should, really should, take a dog shaming pic alongside the damage - there will come a day when you can laugh about it. Just not yet, obviously.
    AlexLK wrote: »
    Well, after saying I was going to only drink at special occasions, I failed miserably. Today is the first AF day I've had in what must be a couple of weeks.

This is all despite the fact I'm not really meant to drink much according to my doctor due to my issues with depression. Quite ashamed, to be honest.

(((Hugs))) Alex. I was taking anti-depressants while I was knocking it back; I think it's pretty normal behaviour, sadly. Since I stopped the booze completely I've managed to cut down on them but not cut them out completely because the anxiety kicks back in if the dose is too low. Because the advice is always that we shouldn't drink if we're depressed I can't find any research on whether the effect of alcohol is enhanced by the particular anti-depressant I take, but I think it was. I certainly felt very lightheaded after one glass of wine and !!!!!! after two, which I don't think is normal.

Bucket loads of *resistance vibes* for you and everyone else who wants some.

4/31 please, Shaggy.
    Better is good enough.
  • Barny1979
    Barny1979 Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    4/25 AFDs today :-)
  • Dizzy_Imp
    Dizzy_Imp Posts: 2,755 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Honey_Bear wrote: »
    Was that the same sofa as the chewed cushion was on, Dizzy? And, you should, really should, take a dog shaming pic alongside the damage - there will come a day when you can laugh about it. Just not yet, obviously.

Yes, it was! I am furious!

Hmmm, well girl pup has managed to continue her bad form by mauling DH's favourite chicken :mad: Luckily she's a tough bird but frankly, I'm getting very tired of the bad behaviour.

4/21 please Shaggy x
  • debjay
    debjay Posts: 2,090 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    2/13 for tonight please.
  • charmed1318
    Options
    Good morning all :)
    Reporting 4/4 so still on track

Happy Monday to all
This discussion has been closed.