Sports Club Bank Account help please,

Hello,

This might not be the correct section to post to but here goes! Are there rules regarding club funds in a bank account? As an example, there are 45 members at a club I'm a member of, the bank account
currently stands at £2,300. The committee seem to think THEY dictate how the money is spent. The funds consist of the years membership fees and fees for each time we have an 'outing'. We are going to be audited shortly, the AGM is in April. Surely, the club members should be consulted an vote on how to use this money? There's nothing at all in the club constitution regarding this. If anyone has a link to direct me to re this, that pertains to all sports/social clubs, please post it, thanks.

Thanks

Comments

• Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,091 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    That's what the club members have a committee for - to take decisions as required.

If unhappy raise the subject at the AGM and be prepared to stand for election.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • linclass
    linclass Posts: 286 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Thanks Robin 9, I don't think I explained well. I'd like to know whether there is an acceptable upper limit per club size - for example, should there be £50,000 in a club of 45 members, then that clearly is wrong surely. I think that's not quite right, the committee cannot just decide what to spend the money on surely? What if they decided to purchase 5 sweatshirts that wipe out the funds, only to be worn by the 5 committee members?
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 18 March 2018 at 3:16PM
    So what does this committee actually currently do?

If you don't want them to make any financial decisions then why have one at all?

Presumably if they bought 5 sweatshirts just for them, then they wouldn't be re-elected at the end of their term by the members. That's assuming that they are actually elected.
  • linclass
    mije1983 wrote: »
    So what does this committee actually currently do?

If you don't want them to make any financial decisions then why have one at all?

Presumably if they bought 5 sweatshirts just for them, then they wouldn't be re-elected at the end of their term by the members. That's assuming that they are actually elected.
    They're doing NOTHING with the money mije1983. It's a bloody mess! The incoming chairman WILL be voted in (not by me though) as he's a strategist, was in the RN and dictates left right and centre. Issue is, only a few of the members can see through him! No. My original question was, are there *rules* nationwide, that stipulate what the maximum amount of funds per size of club should be.
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    linclass wrote: »
    My original question was, are there *rules* nationwide, that stipulate what the maximum amount of funds per size of club should be.

Ok. No, there isn't.

If you think about it logically then there is no way there could be. How could anyone restrict a private club like that? Who would decide the 'limit'? What if they were saving for a new building? Or a round the world trip for all members?

If anything, a rule like that would encourage them to be more frivolous with the money (so maybe 2 sweatshirts each ;)) rather than less, as they would be having to keep within an imposed maximum limit and couldn't go above that.

I'd also think that a strategist is a good person to have as a chairman but that's just my opinion. What would you like them to do with the money? As said in a post above, you can raise this at the AGM.
  • linclass
    Thanks mije1983, :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business