We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Foxgloves going to seed

Hello all,

I planted some established foxgloves around 6 weeks ago and they have now started seeding

My questions are...

When can i sow the seeds?
Do i sow them in a seedling tray in the shed or straight in the flower bed?

If possible i would like to grow some more this season but worried its too late, but would also like to grow some for next season so when do i sow them for next year?

Comments

• Chris25
    Chris25 Posts: 12,918 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 6 July 2017 at 5:12PM
    Foxtails are biennial so to grow a plant for next year, sow your seed now into trays, plant out in September/October in a semi shaded spot. if you have enough seed, sow some into the ground too. They flower the following year - the first is spent growing into a decent sized plant.

There's a step-by-step guide with pictures on here

http://www.wikihow.com/Grow-Foxglove
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I just leave a few heads to mature and drop seeds. These provide the plants that flower in 2 years time. Mixed foxgloves produce random results, so the only time I grow 'artificially' is with bought seed for specific colours.

Last year, I collected all the mature foxglove heads and put them in a large poly feed bag. After I'd collected tens of thousands of seeds, I scattered them around the hedgerows here. It will be interesting to see whether spring 2018 produces greater diversity in the wild foxglove population.

There are some bought seed selections that claim flowering in a year or so from sowing, but I have no experience with those.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Thank you for your help

As they produce so much seed i may try half in the flower bed now and half in seed trays and see how it goes
  • Chris25
    Davesnave wrote: »

Last year, I collected all the mature foxglove heads and put them in a large poly feed bag. After I'd collected tens of thousands of seeds, I scattered them around the hedgerows here.

what a lovely idea
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Mine self seed in the garden with no input from me - I usually have to dig some up to pass on to friends. Nice idea to spread locally, might try that myself.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Grenage
    Grenage Posts: 2,899 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Has anyone else had issues with slugs and foxgloves? I planted thousands of foxgloves a month or two ago, and I've got around 3 left - and they're looking nibbled.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Chris25 wrote: »
    what a lovely idea
    It was something I wasn't sure about, but the garden foxgloves I used aren't terribly different from the wild ones, so I don't think a bit of colour variation will matter to the bees.

There's many other plants that would naturalise happily in our hedge banks; I'm just wary of introducing aliens, like the Geranium maderense which has escaped there without help. I think that will spread until we have a really cold winter.

It looks like Digitalis ferruginea would also be very happy. That comes up like weeds from fresh seed. It has the advantage of being a short-lived perennial and it would be tolerant of the shady sides of hedge banks too.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,194 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Grenage wrote: »
    Has anyone else had issues with slugs and foxgloves? I planted thousands of foxgloves a month or two ago, and I've got around 3 left - and they're looking nibbled.

Yes me, slugs love the seedlings which I guess is why there are literally thousands of seed per foxglove spike

I used to do as Dave, jsut collect the seds by shaking into a paper bag, sprinkle liberally on any waste type spot for a bit of urban gardening

Could even employ the Great Escape method of down you trouser leg and shake it about a bit ;)
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Chris25
    Farway wrote: »

I used to do as Dave, jsut collect the seds by shaking into a paper bag, sprinkle liberally on any waste type spot for a bit of urban gardening

Could even employ the Great Escape method of down you trouser leg and shake it about a bit ;)

:rotfl::rotfl::T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport