Jury Service

Options

Comments

• WestonDave
    WestonDave Posts: 5,154 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    From recent experience - expenses submitted at the court before I left on the last day (Friday) - money arrived in the account on the Tuesday 11 days later - so 7 working days if you don't count the day the form was put on their desk late afternoon.

(Take a book, and be prepared for a lot of waiting about and changes of what is happening - it is also worth checking with her employers whether if she gets released in time for work on a day within her two week period she can come into work and get paid for that. Its not uncommon for them to run out of cases and send jurors home for a few days - I was told on the Wednesday of the first week not to come back until the following Tuesday so had three days back in work.)
    Adventure before Dementia!
  • cook0891
    cook0891 Posts: 144 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    WestonDave wrote: »
    From recent experience - expenses submitted at the court before I left on the last day (Friday) - money arrived in the account on the Tuesday 11 days later - so 7 working days if you don't count the day the form was put on their desk late afternoon.

(Take a book, and be prepared for a lot of waiting about and changes of what is happening - it is also worth checking with her employers whether if she gets released in time for work on a day within her two week period she can come into work and get paid for that. Its not uncommon for them to run out of cases and send jurors home for a few days - I was told on the Wednesday of the first week not to come back until the following Tuesday so had three days back in work.)

Thanks, will pass on the information. I imagine she would struggle to get back to work on same day as by time got train and bus back be 2 hours or more.

One of her part time jobs finishes at 3.30pm so no point for that one.

Though I know you are saying more for days at a time.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    cook0891 wrote: »
    Hi,

Hopefully this is the right place and someone can help.

My wife has been selected for jury service. She works 2 x part time jobs and have both said they won't pay her whilst on jury service so will need to claim loss of earnings.

Does anyone know how quick they pay you back? I am just worried as she is down for 2 weeks w/c 20/3/17 and if doesn't get paid from jobs on usual pay day of 31/3/17 will leave us short as bills go out first few days of April and then won't get money back from court for few weeks? Can you ask to be paid earlier?

Thanks

This is a good warning sign that you need to build up an emergency fund (which should be around 3 months outgoings). Without an emergency fund you are only 1 payday away from financial disaster!.

So use this situation as a reason to start budgeting and building up an emergency fund.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    If her employers won't give her time off work, you can ask for the jury duty to be delayed - https://www.gov.uk/jury-service/delaying-or-being-excused-from-jury-service
  • cook0891
    Options
    If her employers won't give her time off work, you can ask for the jury duty to be delayed - https://www.gov.uk/jury-service/delaying-or-being-excused-from-jury-service

Its not a case of not letting her attend, they are saying won't pay wages, have to claim it back via courts
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Its not a case of not letting her attend, they are saying won't pay wages, have to claim it back via courts

If she does it at a later date, it might be easier for you, right?

So get them to write a letter
  • *~Zephyr~*
    *~Zephyr~* Posts: 612 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

Do bear in mind that what you can claim back from the courts might be considerably less than what she is usually paid.

They don't match what your employer pays you and they will only pay half a day if they release her at lunchtime - even if she is unable to go back to work in the afternoon.
  • cook0891
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. Her main part time job have now said will pay her as normal at the end of March and then take off deductions at end of April so we will be fine as will just put what she gets from court middle of April in different account and then move over when gets paid end of April.

I do appreciate all replies and advice!!! Be glad when over!!!
  • cook0891
    Options
    WestonDave wrote: »

Hi, just following up on this. The lunch allowance, do you need to provide receipts or do you just get given the amount at the end of the service for how many days qualified? I would of thought need to provide receipts but someone mentioned the other day when they did it they just got paid a lump sum for lunch allowance?!
  • cook0891
    Options
    Do the court issue you with a payslip? They have made a payment into our account but I need to know the breakdown between 2 employers and what are expenses. Thanks in advance if anyone knows!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure