Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Tilly MFW in 6 YRS
    Countdown to Freedom
    • 5th Nov 11, 9:12 PM
    Countdown to Freedom 5th Nov 11 at 9:12 PM
    A new diary as we enter the last two months of 2011. I have been lurking for almost a year and have found so many of you inspirational, particularly Billy, Michelle, Radish, and Museum Worker.

A bit of background I am married to a great man, two kids who are growing up too quickly, two cats and a dog! Never a dull moment in our household as you can imagine.

I had my LB moment 12 months ago and started to work on my husband to bring him round as I thought we both needed to be on board to tackle this project. I have just asked him when he had his LB moment and he said 'when you told me I had' however he swiftly followed this up with 'when I realised we would never reduce the mortgage whilst battling with 'the large Spanish bank'!

To set the stage for where we are and where we are aiming for:
    Current mortgage 312000 and I wince as I type the number, with the outstanding mortgage due to finish in 10 years. Aim is to clear the mortgage in 6 years. We are fortunate that we are both employed on good salaries however in this day and age who knows how long that will last.
    Onwards and upwards, my next post will be to build a picture of how I/we have put into practice all the things learnt from you great people.

Thanks for reading and I hope some day I can inspire others the way some of you have inspired me/us.
Page 461
  • Tilly MFW in 6 YRS
    With all this talk of a new BTL...does this mean there is a new MFW diary coming soon?
    Originally posted by PrincessLou
    Hi, if we go down this route, I'll just keep this diary going - originally we aimed to be MF in 6 yrs from starting my diary. We will have achieved that within 3 yrs 9 months - that gives us 2 years 3 months to do it again .

Nothing beats having a target

Tilly x x
    2004 387k 29 years - MF March 2033 2011 309k 10 years - MF March 2021.
    Goal: 28/08/15
    House 1:value 575k, Outstanding Mort just under 2k
    House 2: value Euro 400k, owned outright
  • Goldiegirl
    Morning Tilly, we got a printed document / transcript of our title deeds about a year ago when A&L (Santander) went electronic. They said then they were no longer going to hold the physical deeds, so I can only assume they got dumped. We have a photocopy of the original deeds that our solicitor made when we bought - beautiful copperplate writing and seals etc - house build in 1832. I was flipping angry at the time as I love old documents and hate the idea of them being shreaded
    Originally posted by Polly Wolly Doodle

Oh no, you must have been livid. I hate the thought of historical documents being destroyed, but when it relates to you personally, that must have been awful!

I worked for the Halifax. As far as I can remember, after 2003 we held on to the deeds until the mortgage was repaid. If the person was moving house we'd send the deeds to the solicitors and let them sort out what was going to happen to the documents. If the customer was repaying the mortgage and not moving house (e.g. the end of the mortgage term or paying off early) we'd give the customer a choice of whether they wanted the deeds or not.... if not, they were destroyed But at least they got the choice.

It's all very different to what it was like in the early 80's, when I first started. The handing over of the deeds was quite a ceremony. After the mortgage was repaid, the deeds would be sent to the branch. The customer would make an appointment and we'd go through the whole deeds package with them and tick off all the documents were there. I used to love looking at all the old documents, and it used to amaze me that some of the mortgages were started before I was born! At the time, I had just started my own mortgage and it seemed impossible that one day I'd be mortgage free. But I got there in the end.
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    Decluttering 2015 - 350
    Additional Funds Generated 2015 - 1286.22
  • sweetdaisy
    Just catching up - great news about the mortgage Tilly .
    25 year Mortgage started February 2001 (end date January 2026)
    Offset Mortgage Balance July 2015 49,200
    On target to repay 4 years and 4 months early (September 2021)
  • Greying Pilgrim
    we got a printed document / transcript of our title deeds about a year ago when A&L (Santander) went electronic. They said then they were no longer going to hold the physical deeds, so I can only assume they got dumped. We have a photocopy of the original deeds that our solicitor made when we bought - beautiful copperplate writing and seals etc - house build in 1832. I was flipping angry at the time as I love old documents and hate the idea of them being shreaded
    Originally posted by Polly Wolly Doodle
    Polly - is the transcript you received from the bank actually all the deeds? The only reason why I ask, is that I got 'deeds' from my lender pretty soon after the change over to electronic - so in the early 2000's, even though the house was still mortgaged. I got the papers pertaining to me buying the house and the previous couple of sales iirc. Then, out of the blue, several years ago, I got a mysterious letter from a solicitors firm that i'd never dealt with saying that they had 'something of interest' for the present owner of my property. Turns out, they had taken over responsibility for the vaults of a solicitor that had died/retired and they had all the paperwork for the house. With that which I already had, I now have the complete paperwork trail for the house since it was built in Victorian times Clearly, about 3 or 4 sales ago, someone owned the house outright and had lodged the deeds with their solicitor

Oh no, you must have been livid. I hate the thought of historical documents being destroyed, but when it relates to you personally, that must have been awful!
    Originally posted by Goldiegirl
    I agree, as deeds were often also the will of the property owner weren't they? I still wonder where the h3ck the piano was put that was bequeathed on from the widow of the original owner of this house! Plus, from another historical perspective - isn't it interesting how many little banks/building societies there were - not a one 'surviving' today, from the many that were mentioned in the paperwork I have. I bet they knew their customers individually and lent on the basis of 'good egg-ness' too........

Greying x
    Last edited by Greying Pilgrim; 30-07-2015 at 8:29 PM.
    'Ich habe genug'
    Homemade Greying Yoghurt Lake literage = 25
    'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
  • shangaijimmy
    Hi, if we go down this route, I'll just keep this diary going - originally we aimed to be MF in 6 yrs from starting my diary. We will have achieved that within 3 yrs 9 months - that gives us 2 years 3 months to do it again .
    Originally posted by Tilly MFW in 6 YRS
    It reading diaries and quotes like that that makes me think my 10yr plan has a very good chance of going further towards an 8yr dream! 5yrs is an impossibility but i do think 8yr is achievable with a touch more compliance from Mrs SJ

I'll have to do some more budgeting and see where i can make some more cuts - do you think George Osborne takes our approach to cuts and savings
    MFW: Original June 2036 // Aim March 2025 - 5/120 payments
    Aug 2009: 163,051 // Aug 2012: 146,818 // Aug 2015: 131,010 Current: 131,010
    Avg Daily Interest 7.14 // Total Interest Saved 1316

MFW 2015 76 - 2910.57/6,000
  • gallygirl
    I use it for the smell. I have two large hounds and don't want the house to smell of dog
    Originally posted by Tilly MFW in 6 YRS
    Having been to Tilly's I can vouch for the fact it does not smell of dogs

Stinks of tea tree though .

Looking forward to btl shenanigans
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    Interim target: 100k by Aug 13 - met Sept 13 Next: 50k by Sept 14 - met Aug 14 Final: 0 by 1/9/15, currently 24.4k 24.3k 22.6k 19.7k 15.7k
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • Tilly MFW in 6 YRS
    Just back from a long walk with the hounds. I found a patch of delicious raspberries and just may have had a little snack

Tilly x x
  • Goldiegirl

I agree, as deeds were often also the will of the property owner weren't they? I still wonder where the h3ck the piano was put that was bequeathed on from the widow of the original owner of this house! Plus, from another historical perspective - isn't it interesting how many little banks/building societies there were - not a one 'surviving' today, from the many that were mentioned in the paperwork I have. I bet they knew their customers individually and lent on the basis of 'good egg-ness' too........

Greying x
    Originally posted by Greying Pilgrim
    Even when I started in the financial world in the mid 70's to early 80's we knew the customers of our branch individually and all the administration of all their accounts, both mortgage and savings accounts was done in branch.

So I could be doing a customer's mortgage application or property insurance claim during the week, and then serve them at the counter on Saturday, and give them an update on how things were progressing.

It was much more personal, and we felt we were part of the local community.

With lending, the decision was solely with the manager - so if a customer was in good standing with the manager, funds were advanced on general 'good egg-ness'. But if the manager made too many wrong decisions, he was accountable, and could pay for the mistakes with a demotion to assistant manager at a country backwater branch.

Personally, I think things were much better on the old days. It's all so complicated now and you can never talk to the person who's dealing with your account. In the old days you could phone your branch and talk to the person working on your account or call in and the cashier would call the right person to the till.

Now you spend 30 minutes in a phone queue - that's progress for you!
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    Decluttering 2015 - 350
    Additional Funds Generated 2015 - 1286.22
  • Tilly MFW in 6 YRS
    Morning, I miss the days when you knew your bank manager and the staff knew you. I was only talking to DD a couple of months ago. It's hard for her generation to believe that this was possible. She has grown up with call centres, on line banking etc. As cheques are so rare (she doesn't have any) and declining at a rapid rate, most things will be electronic I guess.

Interesting discussion and I think it's sad to lose things like Deeds to your house.

What will today bring?

Looks like a little sun perhaps
    Trip to !kea - will be there as soon as their doors open
    Shopping - milk and cream - it's mainly me at home this week until Thursday night - lodger on hols, Mr T away from Tuesday and back Thursday. I'll be raiding the garden, freezer and larder
    Bit of ironing - I may forget how to do it otherwise
    Drop something off with a friend
    Post Apple's book
    Take steak out of freezer
    Book monthly theatre tickets- fortunately entertainment pot is at 400 and I'm booking 2 lots of monthly entertainment which will take us through to Christmas with one and next July with the other.
    Walk the hounds and pick more raspberries
    2p Tilly Tidied to Future pot

I'd like to say have dinner outside with the candles lit etc but that's u likely - roll on our holiday

96p payable with TCB - will leave that until more is payable.

Best wishes Tilly
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

819Posts Today

4,891Users online

Martin's Twitter