Countdown to Freedom

Comments

• Watty1
    Watty1 Posts: 4,877 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    You won't get any deeds as it is all electronic at the land registry now, which is a bit disappointing. We just got a letter from the bank saying the mortgage was paid off.

That's interesting. About 6 months ago we got Mr Watty's dad's deeds in paper format from building society when we cleared his mortgage for him.

And the bank wanted to charge me £125 for looking at ours in the presence of a solicitor (more charge)...
    I wonder why you didn't get deeds Squirrel??
    Made it to mortgage free but what a muddle that became

In the event the proverbial hits the fan then co-habitees are better stashing their cash than being mortgage free !!
  • lindens
    lindens Posts: 2,870 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Was it you Tilly, who mentioned you use tea tree oil in your steam mop?
    Is it as simple as adding a few drops of essential oil to the water container every time i fill it up?

Thanks
    PS Congrats on your oh-so-close figure!
    You're not your * could have not of * Debt not dept *
  • lindens wrote: »
    Was it you Tilly, who mentioned you use tea tree oil in your steam mop?
    Is it as simple as adding a few drops of essential oil to the water container every time i fill it up?

Thanks
    PS Congrats on your oh-so-close figure!

Hi Lindens, I sprinkle a few drops on the floor where I am using the steam mop. Most steam mops can't cope with anything other than distilled water.

Best wishes Tilly x x
    2004 £387k 29 years - MF March 2033:eek:
    2011 £309k 10 years - MF March 2021.
    Achieved Goal: 28/08/15 :j
  • Hi Greying, thanks for the info re deeds. I'm calling the bank next week to check what the procedure is.

I'll try not to buy an accidental house in the meantime.

Best wishes Tilly x x
  • atypicalblonde
    atypicalblonde Posts: 3,057 Forumite
    edited 29 July 2015 at 9:54PM
    Tilly - re. deeds- this is the area I work in.

If your deeds were deposited with your lender when you took out the mortgage they will return them to you once it's paid off, even though the documents themselves have no real worth presuming your property is registered at the land registry. The bank will have no interest in retaining them. It may be, however, that your lender has never had the deeds - not all banks insist on having them now due to the electronic register of title that is maintained for each registered property. The mortgage in itself gives the bank the security it needs to enforce should it need to - deeds are no longer required.

PM me if you like once you've spoken to the bank. Either way, once it's paid off as Greying says you can pay £3 to check the title to your house online via the Land Registry website - Part C of the register of title is the charges register where mortgages are listed. Give it around 6 weeks though before you check - the discharges are filed electronically by the banks in batches so it won't necessarily be removed from the title immediately xx
    MFW :)
    [STRIKE]Mortgage 8.2.15 - [/STRIKE][STRIKE]£171,064.64[/STRIKE] Mortgage 1.5.2018 - £99,980.45
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!

I'll try not to buy an accidental house in the meantime.
    Be very careful - it's easily done :eek:.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • shangaijimmy
    shangaijimmy Posts: 3,796 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Does the tea tree help with the cleaning or is for the smell?
    MFW: Was: £136,000.......Now: £61,892.24......
    Mortgage Neutral Deficit: £43,082.90... Mortgage Neutral Savings: £18,809.34

MFiT-T6 #13 - £3,517 of £15,500 (22.69%)
    1% Mortgage Challenge 2022 - £157.59 of £650
  • Does the tea tree help with the cleaning or is for the smell?

I use it for the smell. I have two large hounds and don't want the house to smell of dog :)
  • Will you take the hounds with you to Portugal?
    Paid off mortgage nine years early in 2013. Now picking and choosing our work to fit in with the rest of our lives!
    Still thrifty though, after all these years:D
  • Will you take the hounds with you to Portugal?

Not for holidays but when we move permanently they will be coming too.

Both the hounds and cats life expectancies mean they should have a few years over there with us. I do hope so as they will love the garden :)

Best wishes Tilly x x
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills